Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : Respect Of Class 2 Specials

dercoderco
03-01-06, 12:12 AM
How do you guys look at class 2 specials...do you look at them as any lower than you?.......also are they not given some of the same things that other cops are?

Jay7376
03-01-06, 12:28 AM
What the hell is a class 2 special?

ngcsubutterbar
03-01-06, 12:53 AM
He's from Tx if that helps :)

apacheflier101
03-01-06, 01:01 AM
I was just getting anoyed that most of you probably dont know what the hell that other post is about so I'd thought I would try to help. The person that started that thread is obviously from New Jersey, where they do in fact have a position called Class Two officers or actually Special Law Enforcement Officers.

Class Two's are sworn, full arrest power, gun carrying police officers but only while on duty. They are Joe Civilian while off duty. These officers must wear a patch that clearly ID's them as a special officer and also must to all work in a police uniform. This is mainly used by Jersey shore towns where the population literally fluctuates form literally nothing to half a million in the resort areas. Normally they are summer police officers upping the manpower for a certain department, however by NJ statute every municpality is allowed one full time year round special, all others must have a break in service after 6 months, but may continue to work year round if it is 20 hours or less. Now most class twos you will find are young they are usually 18-21 due to The pay being about 8-12 dollars an hour.

Class ones are only used for parking enforcement.

At least this way his post will at least make sense.

Legoate
03-01-06, 01:23 AM
How do you guys look at class 2 specials...do you look at them as any lower than you?.......also are they not given some of the same things that other cops are?

Are all of your posts going to be equally as vague and rediculous as the last two?

danninator
03-01-06, 02:15 AM
I am a Class II police officer.

We attend very similar academies to full-timers(sometimes even go through a basic academy and get commisioned with a waiverable class II cert).

Mine was roughly 600 hours long, while on duty we have full police powers and supplement regular force the majority are paid and are used in shore towns that have high population influxes during the summer season.

Thankfully my certification is waiverable and allows for only the makeup of a few classes in an academy once I go full-time.

however by NJ statute every municpality is allowed one full time year round

Not always, the amount allowed for towns other than shore-towns is related to their regular officer manpower. Hell where I live they have two year rounders. Down in burlington county I can name a few departments that have 3-4.

Not all have those silly patches...

and to get to the point.

Some guys will give us crap, most won't. We go through the same academy, we do the same job, we just get paid poorly. It's a stepping stone, most are gunnabes, I have been treated with nothing but respect from my department and the few times I've been stopped while off-duty and id'd myself I have been given the same pc that would be extended to other full-time officers. It's all about the individual and how you carry yourself.

Just watch the questions you ask around here, some are very regionally specific.

danninator
03-01-06, 02:20 AM
Damn no edit

also are they not given some of the same things that other cops are?

We are given everything a regular "cop" is given. We ride solo in fully marked cars, we respond to fights, shootings, robberies, acidents, dv's. We carry a sidearm, we make arrests, issue citations, and do a ton of paperwork.

About six months out of the year I'll work full-time on rotating shifts, put in the overtime, deal with all the same crap, and in the off-season available as needed. The only difference between us and the full-timers is a paycheck, and the experience factor(obviously a guy working year round for a few years will have a lot more intuition that a class II rookie) and we don't qualify on the MP5's(which are in most of the cars) but rather the shotgun(which is in the armory somewhere).

MetPC
03-01-06, 07:29 AM
I'm confused as to how a non-LEO could post in response to a question in "Ask-A-Cop":confused:

Thought it was original poster and LEOs only on these threads:rolleyes:

Citicop
03-01-06, 07:32 AM
I'm confused as to how a non-LEO could post in response to a question in "Ask-A-Cop":confused:

Thought it was original poster and LEOs only on these threads:rolleyes:

The poster originally posted it in a new thread (to be helpful)...I think a mod moved it here for consolidation purposes.

Citicop.

MetPC
03-01-06, 11:27 AM
That explains it! Thanks

steelcityk9cop
03-01-06, 02:42 PM
My first “brush with the law” was on the beach on Pt. Pleasant N.J. when I was 17. Class II officer…… crapped my pants just the same!