Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : moonshine

srz
02-05-06, 01:32 AM
This is really an odd question.
Many of my uncles make their own wine which is legal as long it is below 200 gallons a year. The story came out recently that My great grandmother ran a still to support her family after her husband died at a young age and she had 6 children to raise. The question is, if it's legal to make wine, and beer why isn't it legal to make moonshine. or is it if there is a small amount? just wondering

srz

ChesCopPodz
02-05-06, 02:03 AM
I have no idea but I have actually helped catch a guy in a pursuit (State polices) who had 5 gallons of illegal moonshine in a emergency gas can in his car.

Frogdiver
02-05-06, 02:09 AM
It has to do with the alcohol content of the spirit in question. The laws that allow you to make your own wine and beer are limited by alcohol content or 'proof'.

Downtown
02-05-06, 02:54 AM
it is dangerous to make your own for many reasons. The high alcohol content isnt really the reason. It is the way the stuff is made. If it is not done correctly it can turn out to be toxic.

If you read the link below you will learn that most moonshine is whiskey. Poor quality whiskey. It tastes like garbage.

http://people.howstuffworks.com/moonshine.htm

Here is a paragraph from page 3 of the site.

"There isn't anything inherently dangerous about moonshine -- at least no more dangerous than any other alcoholic drink. When made properly, it is simply very strong alcohol with a very hard taste, or "kick," because it hasn't been aged. It is usually very potent, as high as 150 proof, which is about 75 percent alcohol. That high alcohol content can be pretty dangerous in itself; but again, the biggest problem is that there aren't any regulations to make sure that it's made properly.

Some distillers realized that part of the appeal of moonshine was that "kick." They experimented with different ingredients to add more kick to the drink, including manure, embalming fluid, bleach, rubbing alcohol and even paint thinner. Many of these ingredients are extremely poisonous, and many people died from drinking it."

I will stick to store bought:eek:

http://people.howstuffworks.com/moonshine.htm

acreature
02-05-06, 03:13 AM
Peach Moonshine is the BEST!

MetPC
02-05-06, 05:04 AM
I think that one of the reasons it's illegal is because home made stills have a tendency to explode.

Ironhead
02-05-06, 08:38 AM
It all comes down to the difference of how it is made.

Beer and wine ferment to produce the alcohol
Liquor has to be distilled to gain purity and boost the alcohol content.

It is not legal to make any quantity of liquor (even for personal use)

Living one county over from (the Moonshine capital of Virginia) Franklin County, there is a lot of moonshine produced in and around my area. One problem is that the moonshiners use lead based solder when constructing their stills. The lead leaches into the liquor and the consumer ends up getting heavy metal poisioning over time.

It has been said that no matter where you go in Franklin County VA - you are no more than 10 miles away from a still. I don't know if that's true - but there are a lot of them.

In the years before I was a cop - I worked as a plumber. I can tell you that the brick masons and roofers drank quite a bit. I have tasted everything from corn liquor, to peach brandy. I got to agree with Creach - the Peach Brandy is the best. Of course there are people that wil make up a batch of corn liquor and then float some peaches in it for a few days and market it as peach brandy - but it is really just crap.

Some is a good as you can buy in a store - some is so bad, I wouldn't use it to clean my paint brushes - it varies on the moonshiner :D

Jynkxxie
02-05-06, 08:42 AM

No no no...Albanion is the best!

:eek:

Norm357
02-05-06, 09:51 AM
Moonshine rocks! My County was a dry county till just a few years ago and shot houses were everywhere. I used to drink with a former Sheriff at one.:D

retdetsgt
02-05-06, 11:05 AM
When I was young, stupid and in the army in Georgia, I bought a quart jar of it from a guy and brought it back to the BOQ. I was kinda skeered of it, but there was a logger from Maine there and I told him about it. I wanted to try it so I gave him a little glass of it. The next day he didn't go blind so I tried it. It was really good whiskey!

Of course, being an idiot I never thought of what would happen if this guy had gone blind or something from drinking the stuff..... Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Norm357
02-05-06, 11:07 AM
When I was young, stupid and in the army in Georgia, I bought a quart jar of it from a guy and brought it back to the BOQ. I was kinda skeered of it, but there was a logger from Maine there and I told him about it. I wanted to try it so I gave him a little glass of it. The next day he didn't go blind so I tried it. It was really good whiskey!

Of course, being an idiot I never thought of what would happen if this guy had gone blind or something from drinking the stuff..... Seemed like a good idea at the time.

I still know some "home brewers.".:D

troysig
02-05-06, 01:16 PM
Taxing liquor also plays a role in moonshine, that is a lot of tax that could be payed. the ABC (Alabama Beverage Control) will hide right on the border with florida and watch people buy the liquor and pull them over when they cross back into Alabama.

Making it is only a misdemeanor though. I personally love it, I've tried some from a guy that even uses small charred barrels to age it. It's great.

Welpe
02-05-06, 05:43 PM
I have a buddy who lives a few states over that makes excellent apple jack. You can't taste the alcohol at all, it's just sweet with a touch of brown sugar, cinnamon and apples.

Frogdiver
02-05-06, 05:47 PM
I second that notion.:D Oh wait, I wouldn't really know.;)

Frogdiver
02-05-06, 05:51 PM
I think that one of the reasons it's illegal is because home made stills have a tendency to explode.
Well, now that you mention it some of my wine bottles have had 'accidents' when I bottled it a little early.:o