Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : Sit and Reach

SpacemanSpiff
01-23-06, 04:29 AM
This is going to seem like a very dumb question, but how is the sit and reach measured?

According to the Illinois POWER requirements (http://www.ci.rolling-meadows.il.us/rmpd/power_test.htm), one in my age group (20-29) must reach 16". Where is the 16 inches measured from?

For the record, I'm 5"11, have been working on stretching everyday for over 2 weeks, and can't touch my toes for the life of me... I asked a few guys in the gym and they told me it was 16" PAST my toes - but they weren't sure either. Please tell me that's not accurate! :eek:

westend
02-08-06, 12:28 AM
This is going to seem like a very dumb question, but how is the sit and reach measured?

According to the Illinois POWER requirements (http://www.ci.rolling-meadows.il.us/rmpd/power_test.htm), one in my age group (20-29) must reach 16". Where is the 16 inches measured from?

For the record, I'm 5"11, have been working on stretching everyday for over 2 weeks, and can't touch my toes for the life of me... I asked a few guys in the gym and they told me it was 16" PAST my toes - but they weren't sure either. Please tell me that's not accurate! :eek:

I'm 90% certain that touching your toes is considered 15" so you would have to surpass your toes by an inch. the measuring starts at the end of the sit and reach board that sticks out over your feet.

I was able to add 2 inches to my reach after 3 days of stretching for about 10 minutes a day.

Ryanh1985
02-08-06, 12:24 PM
After a brief warmup the subject sits on floor with shoes off. Subject places bottom of feet (10 to 12 inches apart) against side of box (approximately 12" or 30 cm high) with knees straight. Tester places measuring stick on box parallel to subjects legs; 15" or 38 cm at edge of box closest to subject and end of measuring stick ("0") toward subject. Subject places hand over hand and reaches as far as possible over measuring stick without bending knees. Best of three tries is recorded

HeliPilot
02-09-06, 01:24 AM

My daughter is a ballet dancer who could not do the splits after years of training. Then one teacher gave her a secret to stretching that actually worked and within 2 months she was able to do the splits. If you want to increase your flexibility it might be worth a try.

First take a HOT bath for no less than 20 minutes. This relaxes the muscles and tendons and prepares them to be stretched. Then in the warm room do your stretching pushing yourself just to the point before pain. Stretch SLOWLY. Stretch for about 20 minutes (my daughter reads books).

Fedguy04
02-19-06, 08:54 PM
You can also try getting a foam roll (found at any sporting goods store). Sit on the floor with your legs straight and your hands behind you holding yourself up in a seated position. Place the foam roll under your calf muscle and roll slowly until you find the most tender spot, then hold for 30 seconds until the pain starts to go away. Repeat this for both legs and the other muscle groups (quads, hamstrings, inside of thigh (adductors), outside of thigh (IT band). This is called self-myofascial release and actually kneads the knots out of your muscles to make them more flexible. Try this and you'll be amazed at how farther you will reach for the test.

hutchins
02-19-06, 09:48 PM
Since we're both from Illinois I'll give you this (and for those of you who are not).
http://www.illinoistrooper.com/pfit.htm

It's the department I plan on testing with when I graduate from college. I used to be in your shoes but after a couple of months of doing this I can reach past my toes.

MCSD
02-19-06, 11:07 PM
Since we're both from Illinois I'll give you this (and for those of you who are not).
http://www.illinoistrooper.com/pfit.htm

It's the department I plan on testing with when I graduate from college. I used to be in your shoes but after a couple of months of doing this I can reach past my toes.

Heh, good luck with the ISP. They are probably the hardest LE Department in the state to test and apply for. if you can get on with them, you can get on any PD you want.

Its good information though that you gave, that would deffinatly prepare anyone for ANY police exam.

MCSD
02-19-06, 11:08 PM
Posted twice for some reason.

hutchins
02-19-06, 11:18 PM
I disagree. I understand where you are coming from though. I am in contact with a couple of troopers and they say they are in desperate need of troopers. I think you mean that they have one of the toughest academies in the state. They are very strict and para-military and many people simply can't make it through the academy. But like you said, they are very renowned and known for their professionalism.

Jynkxxie
02-19-06, 11:22 PM

We do this thing in Karate that has actually helped me. Have you heard of something called elevators? Basically, if you can imagine sitting on a mat with your legs straight out and together infront of you, you then rollback so that your back is now on the mat and you try, with your legs straight and together, to touch your toes to the mat area just above your head. Then roll back down and reach for your toes. Rinse and Repeat.

MCSD
02-19-06, 11:36 PM
I disagree. I understand where you are coming from though. I am in contact with a couple of troopers and they say they are in desperate need of troopers. I think you mean that they have one of the toughest academies in the state. They are very strict and para-military and many people simply can't make it through the academy. But like you said, they are very renowned and known for their professionalism.

Yes. I might have worded that incorrectly, but you seem to have understood what I meant.