Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : antidepressants?

stillwaiting
01-10-06, 02:33 AM
I am sure many have asked this question before and I am sure there are people trying to get into LE currently who have at one time or another taken or are taking antidepressants. If you could shed some light to this : Can you get hired and pass your medical if you have taken antidepressants for ANXIETY & DEPRESSION either currently or in the past? If you have taken them 8 months to 1 year ago can you see that as a DQ for your medical? Has there been any of you that have passed your medical while being on them? Have there been any that have passed the medical that have been on them in the past and not currently on them? I have friends that ask me this question alot I just can't give them an answer. I am hoping some of you can try and shed some light on this question.

scott715us
01-10-06, 02:53 AM
Doesn't sound good. Just remember, there are plenty of other applicants that did not have to use these medications.

From a deptartment's standpoint, they cannot legally say "no" because you took them, but I don't see too many people getting hired that had to take anxiety medication a year before they put in for a LE agency. You deal with a hell of alot more stress with this job than just about any other job out there.

If you had to take it, then there's a good chance law enforcement is not for you.

mxwelch
01-10-06, 02:59 AM
To echo what Scott has said it doesn't look good. I'm not a LEO but I'm pretty familiar with hiring practices and I can tell you it will be looked at, deeply. You've got to remember that there are scores of applicants that have no such marks against them. You might very well be ok for the job but if you were doing the hiring and had people without this what would you do?

phantasm
01-10-06, 11:32 AM
Currently, no way would you get hired, possibly if its in the past, but it'll be an uphill battle.

Giving a gun to someone who is or was depressed at one time? Not a good idea.

Foo Man
01-10-06, 12:26 PM
I'm not a LEO, but it would seem like a bad idea and a liability to let someone who has any history of depression to work in this field with all of the stress and tragedies that you'll surely face.

stillwaiting
01-10-06, 03:37 PM
Again this is not a person with a history of DEPRESSION this was diagnosed as Situational DEPRESSION a big difference. There was no Post Depression or chronich illness. What happened was this person went through a negative time in his life and needed to be treated for it at that time. After some time passed he showed a rapid improvement and no longer needed any treatment of any kind.( ex: meds, therapy.)
How would you answer this now knowing this?:confused:

MisterK
01-10-06, 03:42 PM
It wouldn't change my answer..

Anyone else?

Apollo8138
01-10-06, 04:04 PM
Doesn't sound good. Just remember, there are plenty of other applicants that did not have to use these medications.

From a deptartment's standpoint, they cannot legally say "no" because you took them, but I don't see too many people getting hired that had to take anxiety medication a year before they put in for a LE agency. You deal with a hell of alot more stress with this job than just about any other job out there.

If you had to take it, then there's a good chance law enforcement is not for you.

This is still the answer.

mxwelch
01-10-06, 04:48 PM
Again this is not a person with a history of DEPRESSION this was diagnosed as Situational DEPRESSION a big difference. There was no Post Depression or chronich illness. What happened was this person went through a negative time in his life and needed to be treated for it at that time. After some time passed he showed a rapid improvement and no longer needed any treatment of any kind.( ex: meds, therapy.)
How would you answer this now knowing this?:confused:
All you can do is apply and find out. What will happen if you are a LEO and respond to a scene to find something so horrible (what ever it may be) and have another bout of depression?