Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : Private STOP sign, enforceable?

Bobleon18
01-07-06, 04:06 PM
Hello

I did not introduce myself on 'rapsheets' cause I am not a LEO and I don't expect to be here much..but for a couple of (perhaps lame) questions.

I run a small manufacturing plant in Michigan, I'm 51. That should be enuf about me.

So on to my question. Our place has a couple of acres. We have had to purchase and put up traffic control signs for safe traffic flow. Lift trucks and Semis and pedestians don't mix well.

Anyway, we have some chronic violators and I have been tempted to bring in law enforcement ..to try to enforce our signs. However, I havee gotten various opinions on whether stop signs on private property are enforceable by citation.

Anybody know the law/scoop on that? Thanks in advance from not so sunny Detroit.

Bob

scott715us
01-07-06, 04:21 PM
At least in TN, if it is road/area that is frequented by the public, and meets the state law under what a stop sign is, then yes, it is enforceable. Case in point, I work for an airport PD. Do you remember all those stop signs at the crosswalks in front of the airport terminal building? I can write any time for anyone failing to completely stop.

Same goes for our parking lots or any of our private roads where a valid stop sign is posted.

ChesCopPodz
01-07-06, 04:22 PM
Here in VA the only stop signs on private property that are enforceable are those that drivers come to when leaving the lot on to a public road. If a car runs a stop sign coming out of a parking lot onto a street, i can ticket. The ones in the middle of the property I can't

txinvestigator1
01-07-06, 04:29 PM
At least in TN, if it is road/area that is frequented by the public, and meets the state law under what a stop sign is, then yes, it is enforceable. Case in point, I work for an airport PD. Do you remember all those stop signs at the crosswalks in front of the airport terminal building? I can write any time for anyone failing to completely stop.

Same goes for our parking lots or any of our private roads where a valid stop sign is posted.

Isn't that beause the airport roads are enforceable due to taxes paying for them?

Could you write on the mall parking lot?

Bobleon18
01-07-06, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the replies. Both signs are in the middle of the property. Neither emerging into public road. I guess that law varies from state to state. Sound like I'll need a Michigander officer to weigh in!

R1364
01-07-06, 04:45 PM
Deleted by poster

sbrad
01-07-06, 04:51 PM
I dont know about up there but here in GA we can't write for the stop sign. We could cite for Reckless Driving as long as it fell within the parameters, which are very broad.
There is case law, however, that says that if it is a parking lot commonly used as a cut-through between two major roads then the entire 40 code is enforceable. Trust me, I've used that one with GREAT results. ;)

Gamefella
01-07-06, 05:59 PM
On private property I can only enforce:
DWI
No insurance
Reckless Driving
Leaving the Scene Accident

scott715us
01-07-06, 06:15 PM
Isn't that beause the airport roads are enforceable due to taxes paying for them?

Could you write on the mall parking lot?

Actually taxes don't pay for airport upkeep, facilities or salaries (Airport PD/Maintenance/etc). There may be a little bit of Metro Government tax that comes towards our airport, but not much. You paying to use our facilities (like parking, food, cargo, etc) and other income (landing fees, private and commercial leasing, etc) is what pays for the Airport Authority's operations.

We have roughly a $40 million operational budget and $20 million alone comes from parking. :D

txinvestigator1
01-07-06, 10:11 PM
We have roughly a $40 million operational budget and $20 million alone comes from parking. :D

:eek: I need to invest in Airport Parking management companies.

Jay7376
01-07-06, 11:50 PM
Your stop sign on private property would not be enforceable by a police officer.

michiganstud
01-08-06, 05:15 AM
Your stop sign on private property would not be enforceable by a police officer.

+1

Who are the primary violators? Employees?
Are they your company vehicles?

If they are employees under you try enforcing the signs in that manner. When I worked mall security we had policies about parking lot traffic and obeying signs/speeds.

If these methods don't work for you then I suggest hiring Jay7376 to toss spike strips under the violators tires. :D

TX-LEO
01-08-06, 06:19 AM
PO's in TX can't write traffic tickets on private property either.

Piggy
01-08-06, 06:59 AM
If they are employees, give them a couple of days off to review the drivers education manual. They'll think twice before they create a safety hazard again.