Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

mummer43
05-02-03, 09:46 PM
I am currently going through the selection process to become a Pennsylvania State Trooper. I did well on both the written and oral examinations and I'm scheduled to take the physical test on May 14th.

I really want this job, but I am very nervous about the rest of the selection process. The reason is because I was disqualified from further processing 2 years ago for the way I answered a question on the polygraph booklet.

Basically I answered a certain question and they took it to mean something entirely different than what I intended it to. Apparently, the question was an automatic disqualifier and I was not even allowed to take the polygraph and explain myself. I protested vigorously and even got an attorney, but they said they only thing I can do is apply again.

So I applied again. My concern is that, since I am so nervous about this issue and have been stressing over it for 2 years, it will affect my polygraph results. Do I have any reason to worry about this?

Although I have done a few things that I am not proud of, I did not do what they were assuming I did and I was completely honest about everything. I blame myself for this because the answer I gave was very vague which is probably why they did why they disqualified me.

Does anyone have any suggestions or input?

mummer43
05-02-03, 10:05 PM
Another question... In their handbook, they list these things as disqualifiers. Does that mean that these are the only things that can disqualify you? I'm not worried, just curious.

"STEP #4 - POLYGRAPH EXAMINATION
Applicants will be required to complete the written portion of the Polygraph Screening
Booklet either prior to or after the physical fitness tests. Polygraph Screening Booklets
will be provided to the Polygraph Examiners of the Pennsylvania State Police, who will
contact applicants directly to schedule the polygraph examination.
Applicants will automatically be disqualified from further consideration for the position
-7-
of Pennsylvania State Police Cadet should the applicant’s polygraph examination
reveal any of the following factors:
Failure to Meet the General Requirements of the Position
As detailed on Page 1 of this booklet.
Criminal Behavior as follows:
Criminal Conviction of Misdemeanor-2 or higher.
Criminal behavior, regardless if arrested, for admissions by the applicant that would
be graded as a Misdemeanor-1 or higher.
Any section listed in the Uniform Firearms Act, Brady Law, or any other federal law
or amendment prohibiting possession of a firearm.
Sale, delivery, manufacturing or possession of controlled substances, or all
violations graded as a Felony-3 or higher, regardless if arrested.
Drug Admissions:
Zero usage of Schedule I drugs, excluding marijuana, and nonprescribed
Schedule II drugs as listed in the Controlled Substances, Drug, Device and
Cosmetic Act (Act 64), for a period of three years prior to filing an application.
(Schedule I and Schedule II drugs include, but are not limited to cocaine, heroin,
LSD, methamphetamine, MDMA [ecstacy], oxycontin, Gamma Hydroxybutyric
acid [GHB]).
Zero nonprescribed usage of steroids (Schedule III) for a period of three years
prior to filing an application.
Zero marijuana usage for a period of one year prior to filing an application.
Traffic
Driving Under the Influence charge not resulting in ARD Probation.
Military
Dishonorable discharge.
Formal Application
Intentional falsification of formal application.
The Bureau of Human Resources will notify any applicant who may be disqualified
based upon the results of the polygraph examination. A Polygraph Review Committee
will be convened to review the Polygraph Screening Booklets and the examination to
determine if any automatic disqualification factors are indicated."

Stump
05-03-03, 08:58 AM
I find it puzzling that ONE question would DQ you. Usually, they ask the same type of question several different ways.
Do you know which type of question you had the problem with?

mummer43
05-03-03, 05:41 PM
I know exactly what question DQ'ed me. When I got the notice, it gave the reason for the disqualification.

I really don't want to post the specific question because they ask everyone to sign a confidentiality agreement, meaning they agree not to disclose specific information about the tests. Obviously, they ask you on the polygraph if you've given anyone the test questions.

I know it sounds fishy but I think if you knew what question it was, you'd understand it better. The question that bumped me was only asked once and I guess I found it to be a little vague or misunderstood it. Obviously I won't answer it the same way this time.

Stump
05-03-03, 07:58 PM
All I can say is that it is difficult to empathize without knowing what the topic was that you were dq'd on. I don't want you to tell me since you can't.
When I took my poly, and the written test, I wanted to overthing everything. It suc-ked!
Good luck to you.

replay
05-04-03, 12:47 PM
Yes, if you start THINKING about things while you're answering that question again, it will probably show up on your polygraph again.

I was asked about prior thefts in my adult life and in my head I was thinking about when I DID do the same thing except during my childhood years, and the polygraph could tell I was a bit nervous/unsure/whatever about that question. Since the interviewer knew my cir***stances before hand and because I explained to him afterwards what was going on when that question was brought up, he believed me and I went on to the next level of assessments.

If you start getting nervous, breathe slowly and deeply! Calm yourself down.

mummer43
05-04-03, 01:39 PM
I will definately explain the situation to the Trooper who gives me the polygraph. I really hope it won't be a problem.