Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : LAPD Psych Appeal

Idol25
11-16-05, 02:52 AM
deleted

InTheEnd
11-16-05, 03:03 AM
What is the psychological characteristics of a Police Officer? The letter was very vague and uncertain of what the psych department was actully DQ'ing me for.
You must carry yourself in a professional manner and not be deceptive. There should be something about you that will tell them that you can be trusted with a firearm.

mxwelch
11-16-05, 03:08 AM
It's going to cost me about 800-1,000 dollars, out of my pocket.
That's a lot of money to spend for something with a smaller than usual chance of success. From all of the tests I've taken they want a personality that fits the dept., meaning someone who can deal with people in various circumstances, good or bad. Someone who can make a discretionary use of force, be it physical or lethal. Someone who can handle the stress that the position places on the officer. I know of one LEO who didn't pass a physc. for one dept and then got hired on by another. My advice is to apply multiple times to different agencies. Good Luck.

danninator
11-16-05, 03:10 AM
From what I've been told it pretty much is a test to see if you have that litle sliver of what it takes to be an officer. Just because you didn't pass th is time doesn't mean that you are permanently doomed. Keep plugging away. They may have seen some maturity issues and felt you weren't ready for it at the time. Keep a clean record, establish a good work history and try again in a year or two.

Idol25
11-16-05, 03:37 AM
I don't think that maturity is the issue. I am physically fit. I run about 6 miles 3x a week. I can do 7 pull ups,I can do 37 push ups, and so on. So it's not my physical. I graduated from an accredited University with a B.S in Criminal Justice. I am a single mom with much more stress than many others. I'm a manager and I deal with so much stress at my job and I still exceed. I am willing to shoot a gun if I have to, I am willing to protect myself and others near me with all my strength. I know I got what it takes because I have worked so hard to get where I'm at today. I see many applicant that get accepted and quit at the Academy because they couldn't handle the stress and the physical training.

How can some like that get accepted and then quit? Do the psych really know what they are looking for?

Maybe and Maybe not.

Yes, there are many other departments and I will keep my options open.

Thanks for the encourgement. It's always good to keep a positive attitude.

danninator
11-16-05, 11:51 AM
Do the psych really know what they are looking for?

Yes, they know what they are looking for, but remember you're relying on one man's opinion. The appeal was a good move and like it was said keep applying. Very few people get in on their first try.

mjohns2
11-16-05, 12:19 PM
To Idol25,

If you don't mind me asking, please PM me if you dont feel comfortable asking on the forum, but how old are you?

Topher5150
11-16-05, 12:29 PM
The psych evaluates alot of things. Your ability to handle stress, your social habits, problem solving/critical thinking. My test even measured the consistancy of the answers to make sure your not just picking random ones. They check for schizophrenia, introversion, depression, integrity and judgement. Theres so many things they look at and if you are not within the "acceptable levels" set by the department they will fail you. It's good to get a second opinion, I've heard a lot of stories of people that failed psych exams at one department and turned around and passed another. If your second opinion still doesn't help you out you may not be psychologically fit to be a police officer. Let us know how it turns out.

Idol25
11-16-05, 01:55 PM
I am 30, but I look much younger than what I appear. People are always shocked when I tell them my age.

Idol25
11-16-05, 02:05 PM
Topher5150,
I disagree, that if I don't pass I am not psychologically fit to be a police officer. The reason is because every department looks for different things. LAPD psych department has it's own agenda. Many applicants get DQ'd on their psych for minor things. If this does not go through, I will focus on State and Federal jobs.

If you think about it, why many get DQ'd, the department wants to know how persistant you are and how bad you want the job. Giving up and not appealing shows weakness and no desire for the position.

mjohns2
11-16-05, 02:53 PM
When I was 21, many many many moons ago, I didn't pass a psych with one department and passed with another department 2 or 3 weeks later. I've done the same with the poly. The psych, in my opinion, is a way of seeing if a candidate is a good "fit" for a specific department. That is assuming that a person isnt crazy.

To Idol25,
If this is what you want to do dont give up. Try other departments. Like you said earlier, "every department looks for different things."

Idol25
11-16-05, 03:09 PM
In about 2 weeks I should get a response for my re-evaluation. I hope. No news is better than bad news. So, I will post my results as soon as I get them.

I know this is what I want to do. I never give up easily. I am always up for a challenge. Whatever it takes. Hoorah!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not5150
11-16-05, 09:09 PM
Being DQ'ed on a psych doesn't mean you are crazy, it just means you don't fit the profile that the particular agency is looking for.

Several years ago, I was also psych DQ'ed by LAPD. I was young and was told that I didn't have life experience. I also went to an independant psych to look into an appeal and yes it was about $1000 to start the ball rolling. The heck with that!!

So, I tested for other departments in the following weeks and passed their psych. tests.

Many people fail LAPD's psych... no worries, just drive about 15 mins to LASD and pick up an app :)

Bearcat06
11-16-05, 09:34 PM
I know of lots of LEOs that I have/still do work with and they have failed one Depts. Psych test only to pass another ones.
Just depends on what the PD is looking for in an applicant.

maukmauk
11-17-05, 10:02 PM
Do you recieve a letter if you DO pass the LAPD Psych? If so, how long after you take the test will you recieve the results?

Also, will the results come with the results of your medical and so forth?

If you do pass both, how long before a BI contacts you?

All input is greatly appreaciated. Thank you,

LAPD4ME
11-17-05, 11:46 PM
You wont find out about the oral psych until the end because thats the last step..if you pass you get a postcard. You taked the written psych the same day as the medical..it takes them a while to go through that and analyse the results..that and they get info from backgrounds and they go more into it

maukmauk
11-18-05, 02:00 AM
How long will it be before a BI makes contact?

Idol25
11-18-05, 03:18 AM
The response for a med or psych letter can take 1 month to 2 months. It depends on the issues that you may have or not have. If no response after a month, I would suggest to contact the psych department on the status of your evaluation. In some cases, your app file can be misplaced or forgotten. You must stay on top of your process. As time goes by certain tests expire and I believe you have to re-take them.

mjohns2
11-18-05, 12:04 PM
Do you recieve a letter if you DO pass the LAPD Psych? If so, how long after you take the test will you recieve the results?

Also, will the results come with the results of your medical and so forth?

If you do pass both, how long before a BI contacts you?

All input is greatly appreaciated. Thank you,

Are you refering to the Medical and written psych? If so you'll get a post card saying you passed about a week from when you took the test, give a take a few days since the holidays are coming up.

maukmauk
11-20-05, 09:26 PM
How about having a BI (Background Investigator) call me???

mjohns2
11-21-05, 12:04 PM
That I can't answer. I havent spoken to on either. Sorry

Obach
12-07-05, 05:41 PM
I've been following the thread and was wondering if you guys can share with me the turnaround time from your Oral Pysch to your results? I was told that my packet was in review, is this what happens to everyone or problem cases? Has anyone been through the same? Thanks.