Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

ludachris96
11-12-05, 01:24 PM
Hey everybody, i'm new to the forum and i'm doing my research to join the NYPD before I get surprised with something stupid. My problems are with the background invesigation. I have collected about 10 moving violations since I was 21. I am now 27. They are all minor violations except for 2 speeding tickets. I claimed bankruptcy about a year ago(I was only in about 9 grand in debt, but no matter what i did i couldn't improve my credit score, after bankruptcy my credit is actually getting better). I was also arrested once for petite larceny(i was working for a vending machine company and opened another company's machine thinking it was ours. I didn't take any money out of it and the police knew i didn't but they arrested me anyway) It was thrown out of court and the judge even said it was a joke that i got arrested for that. I continued working for that vending company but eventually quit and i can still get a great reference from them. Anyway I went to college for criminal justice and very much want to join the nypd. Is there anybody out there that made the NYPD with similar problems. Can I get some advice from the nypd guys who did make it through to the academy...... It has been my dream to be a cop. thanks

Terminator
11-12-05, 01:52 PM
Hey everybody, i'm new to the forum and i'm doing my research to join the NYPD before I get surprised with something stupid. My problems are with the background invesigation. I have collected about 10 moving violations since I was 21. I am now 27. They are all minor violations except for 2 speeding tickets. I claimed bankruptcy about a year ago(I was only in about 9 grand in debt, but no matter what i did i couldn't improve my credit score, after bankruptcy my credit is actually getting better). I was also arrested once for petite larceny(i was working for a vending machine company and opened another company's machine thinking it was ours. I didn't take any money out of it and the police knew i didn't but they arrested me anyway) It was thrown out of court and the judge even said it was a joke that i got arrested for that. I continued working for that vending company but eventually quit and i can still get a great reference from them. Anyway I went to college for criminal justice and very much want to join the nypd. Is there anybody out there that made the NYPD with similar problems. Can I get some advice from the nypd guys who did make it through to the academy...... It has been my dream to be a cop. thanks

Just out of curiousity...if it's been your "dream" to be a cop, why have you received 10 traffic tickets in the last 6 years :confused:

If it's your "dream" to be a cop, why have you been arrested for larceny, and filed bankruptcy ($9,000 in debt at your age...wow)?

Just wondering, not trying to be rude. I'm not an NYPD Officer, so please continue on, nothing to see here.

Newyork77
11-12-05, 02:23 PM
As im going tru the nypd process now( i only have my mini med left) and knowing the steps ..... i say to you Good Luck with all those infractions you have. Your investigator and oral psych examiner will have a blast with your file. but if its your dream don't give up...

ludachris96
11-12-05, 04:32 PM
well i have worked and lived in suffolk county for the past 5 years and all the cops do out here is give out tickets so they have fun with me since i own a mustang. I'm not making any excuses but I lived in and drove in queens for 5 years before that and NEVER received a traffic ticket. NYPD i would assume has a lot more crime to deal with than suffolk. Also as far as the petit larceny I didn't do anything wrong and it was thrown out of court and sealed.
I know several cops who have been arrested more than once and even have been convicted of misdemenors. anyway thanks for the responses guys. I've been reading all the useful info on this site and it's great. I know i don't have shot in hell of becoming NYPD but the test is free and what have got to lose?

phantasm
11-12-05, 04:57 PM
10 movers in 6 years, 1 bankruptcy, and 1 arrest that was DP'ed. You could get hired, but you will be scrutnized by the BI & the shrink. Be prepared for that. Don't lie about anything. You were fingerprinted, you have a NYSPIN, they will find that, and ask you why you have a NYSPIN even if the record is sealed, and they will be able to get that sealed record.

What bankruptcy does is show that you have money problems, and may lead to theft or corruption. That along with a petit larcency arrest doesn't look good for you. The 10 tags over 6 years is quite a bit too. 2 speeders can be overcome though. What were the other 8 for, and were they convictions?

danninator
11-12-05, 05:00 PM
well i have worked and lived in suffolk county for the past 5 years and all the cops do out here is give out tickets so they have fun with me since i own a mustang. I'm not making any excuses but I lived in and drove in queens for 5 years before that and NEVER received a traffic ticket. NYPD i would assume has a lot more crime to deal with than suffolk.

Yupp I stop EVERY mustang I see and give the drivers citations. It seriously is a blast

NyPd Sgt ALU
11-12-05, 05:26 PM
with the amount of gas your mustang will consume the 25k they are offering wont even cover you gas bill :)

Terminator
11-12-05, 06:00 PM
...so they have fun with me since i own a mustang. I'm not making any excuses but I lived in and drove in queens for 5 years before that and NEVER received a traffic ticket.

What do you mean, they have fun with you since you have a Mustang. We have a police officer on my department who owns a 2005 Ford Mustang. He doesn't drive like a jacka$$, so he doesn't have any tickets.

...NYPD i would assume has a lot more crime to deal with than suffolk.

You know what is wrong about assuming? Suffolk County has plenty of crime. Yes, even with high crime police officers still enforce motor vehicle laws. Why? Because it's their job. Some departments even have units whose sole purpose is traffic enforcement.

I know i don't have shot in hell of becoming NYPD but the test is free and what have got to lose?

If you know you don't have a shot, don't waste your time. Move onto something else.

danninator
11-12-05, 06:17 PM
Wait TERM you don't have a policy requiring that each and every mustang seen while driving be pulled over and issued a summons? pfft You guys are crazy down south :eek:

Vlad
11-12-05, 10:45 PM
The bg booklet only gives you room to list 5 violations... so im guessing 10 is too many. The arrest isnt so bad especially if its been some time. I know guys otj who got arrested for worse... bankruptcy is a problem too, but if your credit is better and its also been some time (no debt now) you should be ok. Each of your problems alone wouldnt be a dq, but they will look at the whole package and it wont paint a good picture, and the 10 movers will show a pattern of disregarding the law. But like you said, the test is free...let them disqualify you in person or writing...you miss 100% of the shots you dont take.

Joeyd6
11-13-05, 01:02 AM
What do you ahve to lose?

I will tell you:
1) Waste tax payer money on a paper/pencil and time to grade it.
2) Waste 3 hours of yoru own time taking it.
3) Wasting 1 hour of a background investigators time to run your history and then tell you to apply at Burger King becasue teh NYPD will not take you.

The job has lowered it standards the past few years....but not this low!

Terminator
11-13-05, 08:28 AM
Wait TERM you don't have a policy requiring that each and every mustang seen while driving be pulled over and issued a summons? pfft You guys are crazy down south :eek:

Actually, we did have a policy like that, but it was repealed. Now we must stop and write everyone who asks stupid questions... :D

ludachris96
11-13-05, 11:50 AM
yeah i forgot the nypd likes to take guys in who have been arrested for grand larceny or grand theft auto or have been fired for stealing. THAT IS LOWERED standards, not somebody who got some traffic tickets for failing to use their turn signal or tailgaiting.... and as for the guy with the 05 mustang you're telling me he drives the speed limit with it....................YEAH RIGHT!!! He doesn't get any tickets BECAUSE he is a cop. Thank you to the guys who gave honest answers and for those with the smart *** comments that just gives me more incentive to be a cop.... I have the college credits with a major in criminal justice, I was an auxiliary cop for 2 years, OH YEAH...... I work for the nypd now installing their plasma tv's and video conference rooms and the lcd's in the co's office, ALL the AV equipment at counter terrorism, one police plaza and am good friends with 2 chiefs. Let's see what happens..

Wombat311
11-13-05, 11:59 AM
OH YEAH...... I work for the nypd now installing their plasma tv's and video conference rooms and the lcd's in the co's office, ALL the AV equipment at counter terrorism, one police plaza

Yeah, 'cos that's the same thing. :rolleyes:

Subcontracting is not working for. Idiot.

Terminator
11-13-05, 12:28 PM
yeah i forgot the nypd likes to take guys in who have been arrested for grand larceny or grand theft auto or have been fired for stealing.

They do? That's news to me. I guess you must know since you're an expert in their hiring practices, after all you do work their, right? OOPS, HAHA!!!

THAT IS LOWERED standards, not somebody who got some traffic tickets for failing to use their turn signal or tailgaiting....

You were ticketed for failing to use a turn signal and other minor traffic violations 10 times in five years. Either you are lying, or you talked yourself into those tickets. I can see either being the case.

and as for the guy with the 05 mustang you're telling me he drives the speed limit with it....................YEAH RIGHT!!! He doesn't get any tickets BECAUSE he is a cop.

In fact, although not very often, some officers DO get tickets from other cops. A badge is not a "get out of jail free" card, or a "drive however I want to" card. That particular officer I mentioned has owned Mustangs before he was a police officer. He doesn't have a single traffic ticket on his record, much less 10 tickets in 5 years. So what's the excuse now? Did the police force in his area have ESP and know he was going to be a cop, so they let him off? Or maybe he just doesn't drive like an idiot, like you do.

Thank you to the guys who gave honest answers and for those with the smart *** comments that just gives me more incentive to be a cop.... I have the college credits with a major in criminal justice

You're welcome for the honest answers. If a police officer giving you honest answers about your situation gives you more incentive to be a cop, then good for you. It doesn't mean you'll be hired though.

I was an auxiliary cop for 2 years

I have my doubts about that. You came here, worried if you could get hired with your background (and with good reason). Now you're saying you were an auxillary police officer? If you've already been hired once, why all the questions? What department did you work for? Please enlighten me...prove me wrong.

OH YEAH..... I work for the nypd now installing their plasma tv's and video conference rooms and the lcd's in the co's office, ALL the AV equipment at counter terrorism, one police plaza and am good friends with 2 chiefs.

You work for the NYPD now, huh....HAHA....LMAO!!! I bet your chances have really increased, now that you install the Tv's and audio/visual equipment at One Police Plaza. :rolleyes:

Let's see what happens..

Okay, dokee...see you at Burger World. Just remember, hold the onions! :D

USMC/NYPD
11-13-05, 04:11 PM

Don't let anyone kill what you want to do. The infractions may hold you up a bit but as long as none are outstanding and to extreme then you should be good. As far as the arrest....get a disposition from the courts. That shouldn't be a problem if you can get that. Your main goal should be to get a DMV printout on the tickets.....you know to check your points and the outcome of the tickets....you'll have to produce it anyways so you might as well get on it. Good luck.

Joeyd6
11-13-05, 06:37 PM
Don't let anyone kill what you want to do. The infractions may hold you up a bit but as long as none are outstanding and to extreme then you should be good. As far as the arrest....get a disposition from the courts. That shouldn't be a problem if you can get that. Your main goal should be to get a DMV printout on the tickets.....you know to check your points and the outcome of the tickets....you'll have to produce it anyways so you might as well get on it. Good luck.
I thought you actually had a decent head on yrou shoulders. THIS IS NOT THE TYPE OF PERSON ANY LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCY WANTS AS AN EMPLOYEE!!!

Why would you even tell him to keep going? You and I and every other cop knows he would be wasting his time. His behavior has demonstrated:
1) TOTAL DISREGARD FOR THE LAW (multiple citations)!
2) Continual bad decision making (multiple incidents).
3) He was ARRESTED.....that means probable casue he comitted a crime. It does not matter what happened after it got to court.
4) He was FIRED from a job....which means the company had a reason....and obviously it was valid because they were never sued!
5) He thinks just cause you have a college degree in criminal justice it means "your ready."
6) He is confusing being a AV guy as being relavant just because he hangs TV's in NYPD precincts.
7) He proves he is irresponsible....and has bad credit. bad credit = increased chance of taking a bribe = LIABILITY!
8) He is a LIAR. He claims he filed bankruptcy because he wanted to improve his credit score. Unfortunately, judges only grant such when the debt obtained surpasses income. This again shows POOR DECISION MAKING and LACK OF RESPONSIBILITY!
9) He blames his tickets on the fact that the cops there have nothing better to do. Hmm...how about the tickets are his fault...and he grows up and accepts responsibility for such.

His actions, behaviors and words here all prove one thing: IMMATURE and UNRESPONSIBLE PERSON WITH MONEY PROBLEMS WHO LIKES TO BLAME OTHERS!

And you want to encourage him to wear the same uniform you hope to wear in a few months and work with you? And give him a gun and a shield? NO THANK YOU! I don't need to work next to anyone like this, or worry how they will tarnish the shield later on when they feel they have the right to speed and flash his badge on the next 10 stops, or take a free food cause he can't budget his money. He is not a guy with one or two normal flaws....

unhcj
11-13-05, 07:31 PM
Joey....You are 100% right!!!!

InTheEnd
11-13-05, 07:39 PM
Tickets, Bankruptcy, and Theft, oh my :rolleyes:. ludachris96, you'll be given an opportunity to write statements and explain yourself. If worse comes to worse try becoming a court clerk, court reporter, baliff, paralegal, etc. Don't let that degree go to waste.

ludachris96
11-14-05, 01:15 PM
I asked for advice and all I got were smart#%@ answers, thanks

ludachris96
11-14-05, 01:56 PM
1) TOTAL DISREGARD FOR THE LAW: Tickets over past 6 years: Disobeyed traffic device, Failed to signal, failed to stop at stop sign, failed to use designated lane, followed too closely, failed to signal. NO ACCIDENTS OR DUI, DWI. NO TICKETS IN PAST 2 YEARS.... these are obviously serious violations and I should be locked up.
2)continual bad decision making..... multiple incidents... I'm obviously a criminal
3)Yes I was arrested, for opening a vending machine that I thought was my company's and I admitted it to my arresting officer who then released me after being in the precinct about an hour and told me not to worry about it on my record as I did nothing wrong.. guess he was a LIAR huh?
4)I was never FIRED from any job so I don't know where you read that in my posts
5)I have a degree in criminal justice, I never said anything about being ready for anything
6)A full background check was done on me by the NYPD in order to work in the precincts.
7)Bad credit... millions of people have it, doesn't mean they are irresponsible, just means they are human and make mistakes.
8)NO I am not A LIAR. Judges will grant bankruptcy to almost anyone and your debt DOES NOT have to surpass your income, I don't know where you heard that one. My credit is now MUCH better.... so until YOU talk to a bankruptcy judge or a lawyer about it don't assume anything.
9)I accept responsiblity for every ticket I have ever gotten. I really loud mustang gets attention from everyone including cops... that is my fault for not being more careful
10) You assume I was fired even though I never said that and you have the nerve to judge me and take the time to right an essay about my life, you don't know &%$#. So stick the holy attitude up your #@! I wouldn't want to work with someone like you either..... All I have been is honest and up front and you come out talking to me like you're GOD. Get over yourself and stop thinking your better than other peopl

sbrad
11-14-05, 01:56 PM
No, all you got were honest answers junior. If you don't like them why don't you jump in the 'stang and see if you can go find someone to harass you. ****.

sbrad
11-14-05, 02:00 PM
You are clearly a liar to boot. They don't like to hire liars.

3)Yes I was arrested, for opening a vending machine that I thought was my company's and I admitted it to my arresting officer who then released me after being in the precinct about an hour and told me not to worry about it on my record as I did nothing wrong.. guess he was a LIAR huh?

But earlier it was:

I didn't take any money out of it and the police knew i didn't but they arrested me anyway) It was thrown out of court and the judge even said it was a joke that i got arrested for that.
Which was it, junior? Was it the cop at the station that threw it out or the judge in court?

ludachris96
11-14-05, 02:02 PM
Excuse me.... junior. Get over yourself. If you read the initial paragraph I wrote. I didn't insult anyone all I did was give an honest account of my record. ****

ludachris96
11-14-05, 02:04 PM
so your from Georja? learn how to spell junior

ludachris96
11-14-05, 02:06 PM
i was still arrested and had to go to court for it junior, the cop said not to worry, he didn't say I didn't have to go to court... reading is fudamental

sbrad
11-14-05, 02:07 PM
Excuse me.... junior. Get over yourself. If you read the initial paragraph I wrote. I didn't insult anyone all I did was give an honest account of my record. ****
Where's the honest account? I see you saying in one breath that the judge threw the charge out of court and in the next you are saying the arresting officer cut you loose. You have to choose one because it can't be both.

Terminator
11-14-05, 02:09 PM

You got 100%, straightforward, brutally honest answers (to the questions you asked).

If you don't like the answers, what else can we do....change them to appease you?

Terminator
11-14-05, 02:12 PM
so your from Georja? learn how to spell junior

So, you're from New York, junior? Go back to school and learn some grammar.

Your=Your/You're=You are :D

Oh....and IBTL

Bearcat06
11-14-05, 02:25 PM
Thread closed. Loser banned.

IATL......... :D

sbrad
11-14-05, 02:29 PM
Me too.