Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : direct traffic

stevedz313
11-09-05, 12:31 AM
What is the correct way to direct traffic (Hand Signals?)

Jay7376
11-09-05, 12:48 AM
The NTDOAA suggest that the proper way to direct traffic with hand signals is to leave your upper arm parallel to the roadway, only bend at the elbow, wear white gloves and keep a stiff wrist. Don't forget to tuck in the thumb!

Also, a whistle and some fancy dance moves will go a long way

j/k :D

bdbaskar
11-09-05, 12:54 AM
What is the correct way to direct traffic (Hand Signals?)

Yes, with hand signals. :)

Oh, and out of the way of oncoming traffic. :eek:

danninator
11-09-05, 01:47 AM
Point and Point some more and blow on your whistle then when you are ignored give the finger and curse under your breath

seems to work for me

danninator
11-09-05, 01:48 AM
uhh don't qoute me on that

Ironhead
11-09-05, 02:21 AM
Wear the stupid-looking orange vest.

It will not always prevent you from being hit be an inattentive driver, but it will make it easier for your widow to sue them. :(

APDSarge
11-09-05, 05:41 AM
Point and Point some more and blow on your whistle then when you are ignored give the finger and curse under your breath

seems to work for me

You forgot yelling and screaming

Curt581
11-09-05, 09:40 AM
Bring a bucket of golfballs... to throw at the cars that do something stupid.

phantasm
11-09-05, 09:53 AM
I prefer to slap the side of the car with my hand, and ask them if they're drunk or sleeping. lol

Thankfully I work midnights now. Not much traffic directing.

DltUNH
11-09-05, 12:56 PM
Don't forget, 1 steady whistle for stop, and 2 quick whistles for go. The official whistling techniques for traffic direction. AND blade yourself to traffic making you a harder target to hit by those motorists who try to hit you. At ease stance feet shoulder width apart, knees slightly bent. Yea is it apparent I recently finished the academy and remember some of this stuff?

Don't you love getting those looks from the very first car you stop when they know they'll be stopped for like 5 minutes. That's when I try to get out of the middle of the road for fear of being mowed down by them when I let them go again.

Does anyone have the white gloves with the red stop on the palm and the green go on the other side. Saw them in use once, not effective, people dont' know if you're mad at them and giving them the "i'm going to backhand you" sign or what.

gabe a.
11-09-05, 01:19 PM
The trick is to have fun, otherwise you might throw your mag through someone's window after they do something stupid.

If diverting two lanes into one, here is a way I keep myself smiling:
Stop lane #2 and start lane #1, when you spot the impatient moron that swerves over into the moving lane (#1) you stop that lane IMMEDIATELY and move lane #2. Repeat as many times as possible until the impatient persone learns their lesson or is red in the face.

phantasm
11-09-05, 01:21 PM
The trick is to have fun, otherwise you might throw your mag through someone's window after they do something stupid.

Stop lane #2 and start lane #1, when you spot the impatient moron that swerves over into the moving lane (#1) you stop that lane IMMEDIATELY and move lane #2. Repeat as many times as possible until the impatient persone learns their lesson or is red in the face.

In NYC It's usually holding up traffic against the light, and pulling other traffic, or restricting turns, and forcing all traffic to go straight.

Piggy
11-09-05, 01:43 PM
I've always said, if I ever go off the deep end and start shooting, it'll be directing traffic. Nothing can get your blood boiling quicker than a line of flares, police cars, flashing lights, and some jackass in a BMW coming up to say "Can I get through here?". Sure dippy, come on through, we're just testing the equipment.

TPDHellhound
11-09-05, 01:43 PM
The proper way to direct traffic depends:

Option #1: Leave your upper arm parallel to the roadway, only bend at the elbow, and keep a stiff wrist. Wave traffic in the proper direction with fingers 1 through 4 straight up and your thumb tucked.

Option #2 (Only to be used if a driver honks or yells in your general direction): Leave your upper arm parallel to the roadway, only bend at the elbow, and keep a stiff wrist. Wave traffic in the proper direction with finger #2 straight up and the rest tucked into a fist. :D

Ken K
11-09-05, 02:22 PM
I found directing traffic at night that an SL-20 does a good job of breaking a headlight as one jumps out of the way.

DltUNH
11-09-05, 06:25 PM

I'll have to try this one later on. We are having a lot of construction lately in town so there are ample opportunities for detail pay, prolly 3 times a week. They deactivate the lights so there are two officers in the middle of the intersection directing traffic. It's annoying as anything because of yahoos who can't wait, but it's worth the headache when you get paid detail rate plus time and a half after 8 hrs.

Ha, I always love that line, "oh the road is closed?"
No Ma'am it's not I just decided to position a cruiser, barricades, and myself in front of the road just because I get a kick out of delaying traffic and getting yelled at my supervisor for causing traffic jams.