Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : Height/weight requirements

studolb56
10-18-05, 12:58 AM
How strict are state patrol agency on their height and weight requirements? At 6'0 I am supposed to be 190 pounds. I weigh 225 but I have very little fat on me but obviously way over the 190 pound mark. Will an agency over look the weight requirement if your able to pass all the physical requirements? I know it will probably depend on the agency but just as a rule of thumb is the height/weight requirement set in stone?

future5.0
10-18-05, 01:01 AM
I'm not a LEO but for the Army if your body fat was less than say 15% you would be good, I don't see LEO work would be different.

mxwelch
10-18-05, 02:48 AM
It depends. Some agenices use the FBI standards and some don't. I tested for one that sent people home before any testing was done and one that said you better not show up at the academy overweight. Body weight is determined, obviously, by age, and height. If your extra mass is muscle then no problem.

Terminator
10-18-05, 04:42 AM
...I don't see LEO work would be different.

Yes, it is definitely different.

Terminator
10-18-05, 04:47 AM
How strict are state patrol agency on their height and weight requirements? At 6'0 I am supposed to be 190 pounds. I weigh 225 but I have very little fat on me but obviously way over the 190 pound mark. Will an agency over look the weight requirement if your able to pass all the physical requirements? I know it will probably depend on the agency but just as a rule of thumb is the height/weight requirement set in stone?

If their is a body fat percentage put into the equation, and you are solid steel as you claim, then you will be okay.

If their is a blanket height/weight requirement, then you will not meet the requirements....congratulations, you're S.O.L.

Each agency and each state is different. Contact the individual agency to find out.

future5.0
10-18-05, 05:05 AM
Yes, it is definitely different.

I was not refering to the work, just the height/weight requirements, I know you LEO work alot harder than us Military boys ;) :D

SPEtactical
10-18-05, 05:19 AM
You should be taller than you are wide. That is always a good rule of thumb.

future5.0
10-18-05, 05:29 AM
P.S I don't think I typed what I was thinking.

Terminator
10-18-05, 06:18 AM
I was not refering to the work, just the height/weight requirements, I know you LEO work alot harder than us Military boys

I was referring to the height/weight requirements, although I know we work harder than you Military boys...'cause I used to be one too! :D

future5.0
10-18-05, 06:21 AM
I was referring to the height/weight requirements, although I know we work harder than you Military boys...'cause I used to be one too! :D

Note taken I will remember to keep my mouth shut the next time :D

But will some agencies go by body fat percentage?

KatieMH21
10-18-05, 07:13 AM
Florida Highway Patrol Height/Weight Requirements (http://www.fhp.state.fl.us/Career/fhpScale.htm)

I think theirs pretty much lines up with average BMI. I'm sure to an extent they would overlook it depending on the circumstances. But the above link is the general rule of thumb.

Your best bet would be to call the agency and ask them. ;)

Terminator
10-18-05, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by Terminator

Each agency and each state is different. Contact the individual agency to find out.

Your best bet would be to call the agency and ask them.

I guess you're the supervisor for the Department of Redundancy Department?

Terminator
10-18-05, 08:56 AM
...........;)

KatieMH21
10-18-05, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Terminator

I guess you're the supervisor for the Department of Redundancy Department?

Sorry... I had you on ignore and didn't read your post! ;)

Terminator
10-18-05, 09:05 AM
Sorry... I had you on ignore and didn't read your post!

Damn,......AGAIN? :D

Valor55
10-18-05, 09:47 AM
My agency has body fat calculations built in as a backup. If you fall outside the height/weight range they do the body fat. If you are ok on the body fat you will be fine.

Every agency is different though. If yours is stupid enough to DQ you for it go somewhere else that takes body fat into consideration.

HeliPilot
10-18-05, 12:48 PM
Well if you want to give up some of that weight I will take it. I am 6'0" and 150lbs, Give my 37 1/2 lbs of that muscle and we will both be 187.5lbs.