Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : Badge

cjcrew022000
09-01-05, 08:35 PM
Do you wear your badge on your uniform while working or keep it in your wallet? If you wear it on your uniform, how does it attach?

Old Trooper
09-01-05, 08:44 PM
NYSP do not wear badges. None visible anywhere, although every trooper is issued a badge. I have not ever seen another law enforcement agency that did not have a badge visible on a uniformed officer....anyone??

ngcsubutterbar
09-01-05, 08:58 PM
NYSP do not wear badges. None visible anywhere, although every trooper is issued a badge. I have not ever seen another law enforcement agency that did not have a badge visible on a uniformed officer....anyone??

wow really? learn something every day.

jonesg11
09-01-05, 11:10 PM

I think you would be hard pressed to find a Canadian agency that wears a badge. They are issued to most but are not worn on the uniform.

Newbie31
09-01-05, 11:44 PM
I know the Missouri Highway Patrol does not wear badges on their uniforms. They have special collar pins that they wear on the uniform shirt.

k92589
09-02-05, 12:13 AM
Badges? We dont need no stinkin badges....... :D click here for the badges (http://www.bookem911.com/images/shirts/nostinkinbadges150.jpeg)

Whitebear
09-02-05, 08:55 AM
here with our departement we dont wear the badge too. we keep it in the wallet....but when I do a prisoner transfer my badge is on my belt because it's easier when I take the plane. on hte Check up line the security officers who are searching the passengers are less anoying...

valycop
09-02-05, 09:05 AM
Do you wear your badge on your uniform while working or keep it in your wallet? If you wear it on your uniform, how does it attach?

Worn on the outside upper left breast of the shirt or jacket and ours have a "safety pin" on the back.

skeller257
09-02-05, 11:06 AM
Outside left chest, attached with pin. For coats/jackets the same. Some of us also have wallet badges.

leckscuba
09-02-05, 08:38 PM

Rumor is, this comes from the old days of Troopers on horseback........badges would get ripped off by the branches on trees, etc, so they stopped wearing them on the uniform and it became tradition.

Bearcat06
09-03-05, 12:38 AM
I know the Missouri Highway Patrol does not wear badges on their uniforms. They have special collar pins that they wear on the uniform shirt.

That is correct. The Missouri State Highway Patrol does not wear badges on their uniforms. Most have small badges in their wallets but I know a few that don't. All the carry is a commission card signed by the Governor.
The collar pins have badge/radio/car numbers on them....inside a state seal. Same pin is on the "Round Blue DI Style" hat they wear.

ExUSPP
09-03-05, 02:19 AM
NJ State Police Do not have badges on their uniforms either.

Mike Romeo
09-03-05, 04:11 AM
Like Valycop, there's a pin on the back of our badge that you simply thread through two holes on the uniform. I like to take a couple of folded 3x5 cards and push them underneath the pin once it's attached to keep the badge flush on my shirt.

If you're on our HIP Team, bike qualified, or work in training, you get to wear BDU style uniforms with embroidered badges.

rdp
09-04-05, 02:09 AM
Regular uniform has a pin on badge.

Other issued attire has the badge sewn on.

For plain clothes, we get a flat wallet badge.

KittyMom
09-05-05, 05:46 PM
Hey Mike, thanks for the tip. My group gets to wear half-size pin badges only while we're on patrol (no assigned numbers), but of course the two holes in the shirt are made for full-size. I'll try that.

The actual uniformed LEO's in our dept. wear badges with their number on them exactly like valycop said. Plain clothes guys wear them on their belts.

USApatriot
09-05-05, 09:17 PM
Regular uniform has a pin on badge, placed on upper left side of chest. Right side of chest, just above my pocket, has an ID tag.

BDU gear or foul weather gear has a "sewn on" badge, and no name tags.

For plain clothes most people carry a "flat-badge," I don't have one though. Just carry my ID card.

Valor55
09-05-05, 10:48 PM
Upper left chest above the pocket. The uniforms have small button holes sewn into them and the pin on the badge goes through them.

ChesCopPodz
09-06-05, 01:37 AM

Probably already answered but the PA state police don't either.

Kimble
09-06-05, 01:35 PM
Regular uniform has a pin on badge.

Other issued attire has the badge sewn on.

For plain clothes, we get a flat wallet badge.

Our department gives us a badge to pin-on our uniforms, but also allows us to have a second badge if needed. I have a flat second badge that I carry in a wallet case with my commission card.

ChesCopPodz
09-06-05, 04:58 PM
I have the pin badge for my uniform, and a flat badge that I keep in a special badge/ID wallet. I don't keep my badge in my regular wallet, I keep it in the badge holder in another pocket