Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : Hair length and police officers

Carla_M
08-23-05, 12:02 AM
What is your particular police department's regulation regarding police officers' hair length? For males, with regards to cultural tradition; does your department allow long hair or braids? What about female PO's? How long can they have their hair? Just wondering as today I saw a woman cop with shoulder length hair which kind of surprised me, as previously I have always seen or at least thought that all cops in uniform had to have their hair above the collar. What is your depts. policy?

retdetsgt
08-23-05, 12:07 AM
Ours has to be over the collar now. We went through a phase where the was no real standard. And of course a bunch of mutts took advantage of it and some guys had ponytails, etc. They came back to the old standard because of it.

Cat_Doc
08-23-05, 12:19 AM
Clean cut, over the collar.

chewy
08-23-05, 12:19 AM
We just went to stricter standards including collar lenght hair for both males and females and no facial hair except mustaches not to extend below the edge of the mouth. The women can have long hair but it must be up and not below the collar when in uniform.

Cat_Doc
08-23-05, 12:20 AM
We just went to stricter standards including collar lenght hair for both males and females and no facial hair except mustaches not to extend below the edge of the mouth. The women can have long hair but it must be up and not below the collar when in uniform.
Do the women have the same moustache regs as you guys?

Carla_M
08-23-05, 12:25 AM
Thank you. I may be called a redneck but I like to see LEOs looking professional and respectable. I live in Canada and have seen a few changes with regards to uniforms over the past few years. What are your thoughts regarding cultural differences and modern styles with regards to hair styles and head gear etc. and police uniforms? Should there be a uniform which takes individual religions into consideration or should there just be a Uniform?

chewy
08-23-05, 12:27 AM
Do the women have the same moustache regs as you guys?

Yes, I believe so although there are a few that OBVIOUSLY don't care about violation of that policy :p

ChesCopPodz
08-23-05, 01:37 AM
Above the collar and ear, sideburns no longer than the halfway point of the ear

Oldbillplod
08-23-05, 03:11 AM
Should there be a uniform which takes individual religions into consideration or should there just be a Uniform?

As you know in the UK the males wear a hard hat (bobby hat) some forces have sikh officers and instead of a hard hat they have their traditional headwear and on the front wear the cap badge.

K-9MALY
08-23-05, 09:12 AM
Hey in Buffalo, there are lots of those "Eye-Talyon" girls and they can sport some mighty fine handle bars on those lips. I think that the uniform standard was done to cure the Buffalo CBP hairy rampage from our females. It was outta control.

Big Sexy
08-23-05, 10:25 AM
Should there be a uniform which takes individual religions into consideration or should there just be a Uniform?

I can't speak for other countries, but here in the good ole U.S. of A, most of us would just like to see a uniform. That should be what binds us, not a different uniform for christian, jewish, muslim, hindu, sikh, buddhist, etc, officers. IMHO

retdetsgt
08-23-05, 01:00 PM
Several years ago I read about a Sikh who sued and won to wear a blue turban with a hat badge on it. I wish I could remember what dept it was. There was quite a debate on the forum I was on at the time.

GoDirectly2Jail
08-23-05, 01:35 PM
Several years ago I read about a Sikh who sued and won to wear a blue turban with a hat badge on it. I wish I could remember what dept it was. There was quite a debate on the forum I was on at the time.I remember that, as well. Maybe LAPD....? :confused:

retdetsgt
08-23-05, 04:33 PM
I remember that, as well. Maybe LAPD....? :confused:

I was thinking that it was back East, but the memory is the second thing to go..... :(

Cat_Doc
08-23-05, 04:37 PM
I was thinking that it was back East, but the memory is the second thing to go..... :(
I got that right off the bat, wonder how many are saying, "What was first?" :D

retdetsgt
08-23-05, 04:55 PM
I got that right off the bat, wonder how many are saying, "What was first?" :D

First what? :confused:

cwillis0001
08-23-05, 06:35 PM
Pretty much anything goes at my PD. While I've never been a high and tight kind of guy, (my commander calls me Officer Elvis), I think some of the back length dreadlocks can be a bit much. We're famous for our lax grooming standards.

kels
08-24-05, 02:00 AM
Whats hair?

retdetsgt
08-24-05, 01:57 PM
richjorg pm'd me with this link:

http://www.lasd.org/releases/71a-1s...rve%2007-26.htm

retdetsgt
08-24-05, 02:01 PM
Humm, the link worked from the PM, but doesn't seem to work from here.

Here's the meat of it:

Press Release

SHERIFF’S RESERVE ACADEMY TO GRADUATE FIRST
SIKH COMMUNITY MEMBER

In continuing with his efforts to strengthen the bridge between community and law enforcement, Sheriff Baca’s call for residents to join the Sheriff’s Department continues to be answered.

Most recently, the Sheriff’s Department Academy will be graduating Jagjit Singh, a member of our Sikh community, along with 39 other males as well as 12 female Reserve Deputies from the Sheriff’s Department. Ten males and one female, from seven independent police agencies, are also graduating. A graduation ceremony will be held on Monday, July 26, 2004, at 7:00 p.m., in the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors’ Hearing Room. All will have successfully completed various levels of rigorous requirements of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department’s Reserve Training Academy.

Los Angeles County is one of the most diverse counties in the country, where all races and religions can be found. An electrical engineer by profession, Mr. Singh represents a large community of Sikhs worldwide, including the Sikh community in Los Angeles County who are very supportive and involved in their communities.

Mr. Singh will be joining one of the largest Reserve Programs in California. Reserve Deputy Sheriffs represent expertise and experience in a variety of professions helping to augment the many facets of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department. Like full-time Deputies, Reserve Deputies are professionally trained and duly sworn law enforcement personnel. They are required by law to meet the same hiring, background check, medical and psychological standards as full-time Deputies. Reserve Forces members bring courage to the job at hand, and provide valuable and much needed resources in assisting the efforts to respond appropriately to the needs and expectations of the community.

As part of Sheriff Baca’s plan to place more Deputy Sheriffs throughout our communities, the addition of Mr. Singh to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department reinforces the commitment of the Department’s Core Values. As Sheriff Baca explained, “A law enforcement agency that is well versed in diversity can better serve its employees and the communities we patrol.”

SHB-71A-04
X X X
July 23, 2004

(I'll try again)

http://www.lasd.org/releases/71a-1st%20sikh%20reserve%2007-26.htm

retdetsgt
08-24-05, 04:18 PM
richjorg sent me this one with a picture...

http://khalsanet.org/cms/content/view/65/

Delta784
08-25-05, 03:42 AM
We adhere to military standards for haircuts and facial hair.

If you want long hair and/or a beard, go join a rock band instead of being a cop.