Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : POST Exam?

FeudalBaron
08-18-05, 07:08 PM
I'm studying for the POST Exam (Missouri), and would appreciate any recommendations on study material (i.e. prep books, etc.).

Thanks.

Citicop
08-18-05, 08:31 PM
I'm studying for the POST Exam (Missouri), and would appreciate any recommendations on study material (i.e. prep books, etc.).

Thanks.

Are you talking about the POST test given at the end of the Academy? If so, what materials did the academy give you?

Citicop.

FeudalBaron
08-18-05, 08:52 PM
No, in MO I'm applying for the POST exam (thru state testing) for my PO Licensure. In MO, I am considered a "Veteran Peace Officer," and can apply for licensure (used to be called "certification"). I am not a current LEO, and haven't ever been one outside of 10+ years of military LE (and I have schooling, etc.). I'm looking for a good generalist resource for this state exam. I'm already looking at the state statutes, 4/5 Amend., and the Constitution.

Thanks.

FeudalBaron
08-19-05, 12:42 AM
To further explain my last post, I've added an excerpt from the Missouri Department of Public Safety, POST Program (see #5)
Chapter 590.040 RSMo
1. The POST commission shall set the minimum number of hours of basic training
for licensure as a peace officer no lower than four hundred seventy and no higher
than six hundred, with the following exceptions:
(1) Up to one thousand hours may be mandated for any class of license
required for commission by a state law enforcement agency;
(2) As few as one hundred twenty hours may be mandated for any class of
license restricted to commission as a reserve peace officer with police powers
limited to the commissioning political subdivision;
(3) Persons validly licensed on August 28, 2001, may retain licensure without
additional basic training;
(4) Persons licensed and commissioned within a county of the third
classification before July 1, 2002, may retain licensure with one hundred
twenty hours of basic training if the commissioning political subdivision has
adopted an order or ordinance to that effect; and
(5) The POST commission shall provide for the recognition of basic training
received at law enforcement training centers of other states, the military, the
federal government and territories of the United States regardless of the
number of hours included in such training and shall have authority to
require supplemental training as a condition of eligibility for licensure.

What I'm trying to do is have the opportunity to test for the MO POST Licensure. I believe I qualify (per Peace Officer Licensing Handbook) for a Class "A" license, but at least a Class "B." I'm just trying to do what I can to secure a LEO position (civil or federal). I'm still waiting word on a VA Police position. I realize that a Class "A" alone isn't likely to secure a position in St. Louis or St. Louis County (they require attendance from an accreditied 600+ hour academy). But maybe, I can get a position in one of the adjoining counties, or possibly a reserve slot.

Citicop
08-20-05, 11:35 AM
No, in MO I'm applying for the POST exam (thru state testing) for my PO Licensure. In MO, I am considered a "Veteran Peace Officer," and can apply for licensure (used to be called "certification"). I am not a current LEO, and haven't ever been one outside of 10+ years of military LE (and I have schooling, etc.). I'm looking for a good generalist resource for this state exam. I'm already looking at the state statutes, 4/5 Amend., and the Constitution.

Thanks.

Baron-

I didn't know that those facts qualified you to get licensed w/o the academy. If you're sure that they do, though...then I would recommend contacting a POST approved academy and requesting some advice and materials from them. (The POST test can cover anything taught in the academy.) If you respond or PM me with your location, I can direct you to some academies that are close to you.

Good Luck-

Citicop.

FeudalBaron
08-20-05, 01:02 PM
Citicop, thanks for the reply.

There has been quite a few changes this year in the MO POST Program. The statute that umbrellas POST for MO has changed to ensure that every peace officer is licensed (no longer refered to as "certification"). Along with the various prescribed conditions for traditional in-state training and commissioning of peace officers, the statute also provides as follows: "The POST commission shall provide for the recognition of basic training received at law enforcement training centers of other states, the military, the federal government and territories of the United States regardless of the number of hours included in such training and shall have authority to
require supplemental training as a condition of eligibility for licensure."

Basically what I do in applying (using the Veteran Peace Officer Application), is provide certificates, transcripts, and other documentation to the POST Program for assessment. The number of basic academy hours, years of service, and continuing education (and anything else I can think of) all count towards a point score. If I am assessed with at least 16 points then I can test for a Class "A" license. If it is at least 10 points, a Class "B." From my own calculations, I qualify for "A" testing.

If I pass, this does NOT mean that I'm fully "qualified" to work PO positions for every muni or county that is Class "A." Obviously, most of them have additional requirements, namingly a minimum of academy hours from specific institutions. But, I could attain a reserve/auxiliary position with them, OR a FT position with a department that is Class "B." I'm really just trying to get licensure to add to the rest of my info. when applying to various agencies. I think it will look good to show that I have already passed. I would still like to attend the academy, I just can't do it on my own dime.

There are alot of exam preparation books out there for purchase. I was looking for recommendations on a few goods, and possibly some further recommendations what to stay away from.

Citicop
08-20-05, 02:02 PM
Baron-

To the best of my knowledge, the test prep books that are out there are for the general police aptitude tests that one might take to gain employment with a department or entrance into an academy. The POST test in Missouri is much more specific, and tailored to cover the approved academy cirriculum within Missouri. (It is the final test given prior to graduation from the academy.) IMHO, your best source for study aides for this test would be at an approved academy. Again, I can give you some phone numbers to call if you let me know whereabouts in the state you are.

Hope this helps-

Citicop.