Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : Top Secret Clearance Question

Starflyer525i
07-19-05, 10:11 PM
A question,

What are the BI investigators looking for to disqualify me for a Top Secret Security Clearance for the USMC SF?

I have a fairly clean background. The only blemishes I know of would be
-1 Speeding Ticket (85/55, paid fine)
-Mediocre College Grades.
-Due to a traffic collision I caused, I was sued, case settled out of court.
-A few sips of alcoholic beverages underage. (Never caught, charged, or anything)

Other than that, I have excellent High School grades, good work history, good credit, never experimented with drugs, all of my friends are clean cut responsible kids, I'm an all-around-nice-guy.

Thankyouthankyouthankyou

Valor55
07-19-05, 10:33 PM
Other than the apparent sex change I'm sure you'll be fine. :D :p

Starflyer525i
07-19-05, 10:35 PM
Other than the apparent sex change I'm sure you'll be fine. :D

Hey you paid for it, so shut up! :D

Jeff L
07-19-05, 10:53 PM
None of what you mentioned has any bearing on a TS-SCI clearance. They're looking for deception and likelyhood of you commiting treason.

Whether or not you have a lot of debt or family members overseas is far more important than any traffic tickets, grades, etc.

Starflyer525i
07-19-05, 10:55 PM
Thank you Jeff

MDEMT280
07-19-05, 11:36 PM
Just FYI, I know the question has been answered, but here's a resource from the State Dept. website. Guidelines for issuing security clearances: http://www.state.gov/m/ds/clearances/26912.htm

Good luck!

Jeff L
07-20-05, 12:05 AM
Just FYI, I know the question has been answered, but here's a resource from the State Dept. website. Guidelines for issuing security clearances: http://www.state.gov/m/ds/clearances/26912.htm

Good luck!

Those were the guidelines I was thinking of, go by those more so than what I just posted. The military just needs to know that you're an honest, reliable person that is not likely to be persuaded by offers of money for secrets or duress. It's a completely diffrent process than LE hiring.

Group9
07-20-05, 12:06 AM
I used to do TS background clearances and to put it in a nutshell, they are looking for something that would indicate that you have a lack of integrity that could result in your committing treason, or that you have something in your background that if someone found out about, they could use to force you to commit treason, or that you have something in your background that indicates you have you used extremely poor judgement and that you might so again, resulting in you committing treason, or doing something so negligent that it had the same effect.

For example, a person who would sell out his country is just as much a danger as someone who would damage it's interests through laziness, ineptness, or bad judgement (the guy who would leave a top secret file on the roof of his car is just as much a threat as the guy who would sell that file for money).

Starflyer525i
07-20-05, 12:14 AM
Thanks for all the responses, this helps a lot.
Another question,

What, if anything, should I tell my family and friends who are likely to be interviewed? I told my 3 references, [the MC asked], for that someone would contact them at some point to investigate me, and would likely ask for other references.

ngcsubutterbar
07-20-05, 12:57 AM
None of what you mentioned has any bearing on a TS-SCI clearance. They're looking for deception and likelyhood of you commiting treason.

he's blonde and probably has blue eyes. That's all the evidence you need :D :p

mcsap
07-20-05, 04:28 AM
When I was going for my S and eventually my TS , my Aunt had been living in Taiwan ( and had been for 25 years) which raised a few eyebrows. When I told them she was a missionary/teacher and they confirmed it, it ceased to be a problem. Your concerns about your background are unfounded.

thepup
07-20-05, 12:00 PM
Since we are talking about clearances, I have always wondered if having a S/TS has any bearing when you apply for civilian LEO position. Does anyone know?

tommygunz_us
07-20-05, 12:42 PM
It has no bearing at all. I have a "UMBRA" clearance, which is higher than Top Secret, and when I applied for a State Trooper position I was DQ'd for having a misdemeanor 6 years prior, but yet I hold the highest position in Government.

Norm357
07-20-05, 12:47 PM
It has no bearing at all. I have a "UMBRA" clearance, which is higher than Top Secret, and when I applied for a State Trooper position I was DQ'd for having a misdemeanor 6 years prior, but yet I hold the highest position in Government.

UMBRA is not a clearance, it is a classification. Sounds all tactical though. :D At least in the Military, there are only 2 (TWO) clearances. Secret, and Top Secret. This may be different in the civilian sector.

From the DOD website...

"TOP SECRET UMBRA, for example, indicates that information about the operation with the code word "umbra" is top secret. Employees may have a nickname for this operation like "spoke wheel" which implies that it's got something to do with transportation, and may or may not remind the employee of the cover story; in this case, the possible use of bicycle tires for something. Often, the nickname implies something the exact opposite of the real operation: SKYBORNE for an underseas operation, e.g., or WATERLOG for an space operation."

Switchback
07-20-05, 03:38 PM

Uh... you way want to check into your facts a little more prior to giving out advice. As mentioned, "Umbra" is not a security clearance level. Just read up on it, man... there's more explanation needed to iron out those details than I care to type right now.

pup, no matter what your clearance, we still do backgrounds on you... and we are the feds. I don't see locals being any different, particularly since they generally do not offer clearance levels, only their own BIs.

thepup
07-20-05, 07:20 PM
pup, no matter what your clearance, we still do backgrounds on you... and we are the feds. I don't see locals being any different, particularly since they generally do not offer clearance levels, only their own BIs.
I understand. I was just wondering if it is worth mentioning in the resume, or is just listing being enlisted sufficient?

mcsap
07-20-05, 07:51 PM
A S or TS ( I had both at different times) looks and sounds good but means nothing in the civilian PD world. It can't hurt to mention it but don't expect it to open any doors. You had better be a good applicant no matter what.

thepup
07-20-05, 07:57 PM
A S or TS ( I had both at different times) looks and sounds good but means nothing in the civilian PD world. It can't hurt to mention it but don't expect it to open any doors. You had better be a good applicant no matter what.
OK thanks. I figured as much. I'm already a pretty decent candidate (IMO anyway). It remains to be seen how good. I have a few years left before I will be eligible to apply.