Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

WAMBAUGHREADER
07-14-05, 08:44 AM
Im just sick of people doing this and am seriously considering ticketing them for it.

Am I reasonable or just a hardass? ALL opinions welcome.

valycop
07-14-05, 08:47 AM
I have, but I'll admit it's rare. Dry conditions for our area prompt me to at least stop people and warn them of the dangerous conditions and what just one cigarette can do with the right circumstances.

acreature
07-14-05, 09:33 AM
It's a free look and a sniff.

7mmMag
07-14-05, 10:30 AM
This is a funny topic actually. Last Fri, had a car speeding 10 over, and kinda riding the center line. I turned around and took a look at at. Followed it for awhile, and was thinking about pulling off and looking for something else. Suddenly, to my suprise, someone chucks a lit smoke out the window. Now were out in a rural area, its dry, so I think "ok, now you getting it." Pulled it over, driver was drunk, and I got a good DUI/Open Intox case out of it.

Jeff L
07-14-05, 10:38 AM
Yes it is reasonable, nail them hard. I am tired of flaming debris hitting my vehicle and no one doing anything about it.

Old Trooper
07-14-05, 11:28 AM
This area is like a tinderbox in the summertime...major wildfires! Any ******* tossing a cigarette out a car window is going down!

MOCOP
07-14-05, 11:32 AM
Gives ya yer PC right ;)

michiganstud
07-14-05, 12:05 PM
It's a free look and a sniff.

LOL.....exactly

scott715us
07-14-05, 12:43 PM
Cite em. Litterin is not that much money offense wise, but I can't stand cigarettes anyway.

Mr.Melon
07-14-05, 01:03 PM
Go for it, definitely. I always honk like a crazy man and give "the evil eye" when I see people throw stuff out of their window. They always slink back in their seats. Don't mess with Texas, dammit!

Patriot08
07-14-05, 01:12 PM
Please ticket them!!! I cant stand people that throw cigarettes on the side walk. Remember, someone will eventually have to clean them up. Do it for them.

ngcsubutterbar
07-14-05, 01:13 PM
does it piss you off when they flick it out 'after' you've signaled them to pullover for something else? It would me lol.

Star
07-14-05, 02:29 PM
Under the Florida Litter Law, we can write up to a $500 fine. If it starts a fire or becomes an imminent hazard, then it's a felony. We write them each and everyday we are on duty.

Do you know how long it will take a friggin' cigarrette to decompose to a non-recognizable form? TEN TO TWELVE YEARS.....get those idiots! I hate it when I see people throwing anything out the window. As a matter of fact, if I could find it, I would probably ticket them for a booger. :cool:

And what about orange peels??? ARGH! Check out this interesting information:

How long until decomposition?

STYROFOAM NEVER
ALUMINUM 80-100 Years
PLASTIC COATED CARTONS 5 Years
PLASTIC BAGS 10-20 Years
PLASTIC CONTAINERS 50-80 Years
CIGARETTE BUTTS 10-12 years
LEATHER SHOES 25-40 Years
VIBRAM SOLES 50-80 Years
WOOL SOCKS 6-24 Months
ORANGE PEELS Up to 6 Months
PAPER CONTAINERS 2-5 Months

Another interesting fact (I could go on for days, I teach this stuff)- styrofoam kills our birds, fish and turtles. They swallow it, cannot digest it and it swells in their throats. Poor babies! I've arrested construction people for rasping styrofoam on the side of condo's without having a vacuum system many a time. People just don't realize the little things that damage our environment. I'm here to remind them. ;)

acreature
07-14-05, 02:59 PM
Another interesting fact (I could go on for days, I teach this stuff)- styrofoam kills our birds, fish and turtles. They swallow it, cannot digest it and it swells in their throats. Poor babies!

I reckon if they would evolve, they would learn not to eat it! :D

Ruh
07-14-05, 03:54 PM
The cig thing especially gets me too. Right along with all littering. My fiancee feels I am being too much of a hardass when I say that I plan to cite people for something so "minor". She, like many people, fail to realize things like what Star said. Those cigs can lead into brush fires and do tons of property damage. I am still waiting to hear on the knews how someone's tossed out cig leads to a car fire or something.

Star
07-14-05, 04:07 PM
I reckon if they would evolve, they would learn not to eat it! :DLOL! I don't think they actually mean to. It just looks like food.

Just like those plastic six pack holders; birds and sealife get tangled in it and die. I'm sure they weren't thinking they were necklaces. ;)

Jeff L
07-14-05, 05:53 PM
Just like those plastic six pack holders; birds and sealife get tangled in it and die. I'm sure they weren't thinking they were necklaces. ;)

Keep fighting the good fight :p

Terminator
07-14-05, 07:35 PM
I agree with Star...I am going to start writing them. The fine here is up to about $300.00, depending on if they litter while in a motor vehicle or if they littter while just walking around...etc

Star
07-14-05, 08:44 PM
Keep fighting the good fight :pI will. It's my job and I love it. Are you a ciggy flicker, Jeff? :p

Good for you, DC. I figured you did and I thank you for that!

thepup
07-14-05, 08:48 PM
I used to do highway cleanup in H/S, the amount of cigarettes on the roadside is unbelivable. And, stopping for littering a butt is good cause to look for something else to I imagine.

michiganstud
07-14-05, 09:03 PM
We write them each and everyday we are on duty.

I'm here to remind them. ;)

So you are an environmental cop?

Whitewolf1970
07-14-05, 09:18 PM
That's a good idea. I get tired of seeing some people flicking their cigarettes out of their vehicles when they have ashtrays installed in their vehicles. Even chewing gums and some snacks.

I was angry one day when I was on the freeway. There were many vehicles on the freeway that day. My rear seat still has a burn mark made by "More" brand cigarette. I don't know who did it. :(

Star
07-14-05, 09:31 PM
So you are an environmental cop?Yes, Stud. After serving many years on the streets as a deputy I landed a job as an Environmental Deputy and it's the most awesome job. I still do the regular things that any LEO does but I focus more on environmental issues than anything else. I love it! There is so much to learn. I made Chief of my division a few years ago and there is even more to learn there but all of it makes you feel like you are accomplishing something great, even though being a deputy is a great accomplishment in itself. ;)

DltUNH
07-14-05, 11:52 PM
had this the other day, littering from a motor vehicle 162.00 fine. After the kid had pulled over.... oh well. he hangs out in a park we patrol every day in his pimped out ride. Asked him a few days later how he liked smoking 150 dollar cigarettes? Fun stuff

P01IC3M4N
07-15-05, 12:42 AM
i write that ticket quite a bit. i love to tack it on when they throw one on the ground during your stop when you have them out talking to them. "littering?" "yes, you just disposed of your cigarette butt on the highway." they just stand there dumbfounded. we have a section of road where one highway crosses another. it's about a foot deep in cigarette butts all along the overpass area.

mcsap
07-15-05, 01:35 AM
I havn't seen a car yet that didn't come with an ashtray.

A few years ago I was on duty in a marked car going to a carwash slightly outside of my jurisdiction. I got off the interstate and was in line on the exit ramp when I saw a Jeep Wrangler slightly in front of me in the lane next to me open his door. He took his ashtray and dumped the entire contents onto the road. I immediately got on my PA system ( I like using my PA !) and informed him ..." you in the Jeep , get out and clean up those butts NOW !! I'll sit here and hold traffic until you are finished"

I turned on my overheads , did hold up traffic while a red faced Jeep driver scrambled to cleanse the highway of his debris. We missed a green light during this little excercise as those farther back were honking their horns.

As I was out of my jurisdiction , I couldn't have cited him ( he didn't know that) and it would have been a hassle to call that PD over for a littering cite but I think I made my point. :)

tpd_six
07-15-05, 01:48 AM
It bugs me too. Although technically it is littering, with our dry climate and potential for roadside fires, we also have a law for "discarding lit material from a vehicle" which I usually stop them for. :cool:

Jeff L
07-15-05, 02:51 AM
I will. It's my job and I love it. Are you a ciggy flicker, Jeff? :p

Good for you, DC. I figured you did and I thank you for that!

No ma'am, I don't even smoke.

KittyMom
07-15-05, 05:44 PM
Good for you guys! Write them all up. I'm sick and tired of seeing ciggie butts everywhere I go. And if you catch them for something else, even better.

KittyDad is meticulous about cutting up the six-pack holders so animals don't get caught in them. It's a simple and quick thing to do.

There needs to be a TV show "Deputy Star: Enviro Cop!"

scott715us
07-15-05, 06:17 PM
I reckon if they would evolve, they would learn not to eat it! :D

LMFAO