Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : Treadmill Stress Test

m19ark
06-16-05, 12:40 PM
Anyone know what theyre looking for when giving the treadmill stress test? Distance and time? Whats the ideal targeted heart rate?

Off topic but has anyone ever checked out Honolulu's PAT requirements? Is it me or does it seem a little bit easier than everyone elses?

Bench Press = 2/3 of body weight or 131lbs, whichever is less (1 repetition)
300 meter run = 82.8 seconds
1 minute push ups = 24 repetitions
1 minute Sit ups = 24 repetitions
1.5 mile run = 21 minutes

Hawaii PAT test (http://www.honolulupd.org/hrd/fitness.htm)

ngcsubutterbar
06-16-05, 12:52 PM
jebus those are some light requirements. they have a height/weight thing to? If you do 2 miles in 21 minutes that's still 'slow'.

m19ark
06-16-05, 03:40 PM
I think 21 minutes for a mile and a half is extremely generous.

KittyMom
06-16-05, 04:11 PM
Holy cow, I'm a couch potato housewife and I could probably pass some of those right now! Do all the Honolulu cops wear size XXXXL uniforms?

Switchback
06-16-05, 04:20 PM
Keep in mind, people, that no one shops for new hires at the minumum guidlines. The guidlines for a federal criminal investigator (1811) are not that tough. Good luck finding someone at the minumum lever ever getting hired.

Ironhead
06-16-05, 09:12 PM
To not answer the origial question about the treadmill stress test - the answer is ... "It depends"

On mine they wanted to get me to 80% of my theoretical maximum heart rate when calculated for my age, height and weight.

Once I hit 109% of the theoretical max, they told me that was good enough.

The test starts out walking and flat, they speed up and increase the incline every three minutes. After just 9 minutes you have to run to keep up and it is pretty steep - the increments are big.

But I imagine that every department is different.

jlfinfan
06-16-05, 11:44 PM
I think 21 minutes for a mile and a half is extremely generous.

I could walk that in 21 minutes....generous might not be a strong enough word.

Group9
06-17-05, 01:33 AM
I could walk that in 21 minutes....generous might not be a strong enough word.

21 minutes? I almost think I could have done that on crutches after I broke my knee. :D

nevetsd82
06-18-05, 10:14 AM
I could do a 21 minute 1.5 hopping on one foot.

Joeyd6
06-18-05, 08:05 PM
I just timed it when I walked the dog (a short leg pug who can barley walk more than a snails pace without getting out of breath.) Her and I, did such....20 minutes, at a snails pace...and BOTH....were not out of breath!