Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : DIA, OSI, & Dept. of State

ASUsundevil5
05-21-05, 03:24 PM
I have been looking at these three agencies. Does anyone know off hand if they are all classified under 1811's? If I can recall, the DIA and OSI have positions that arent labeled under 1811's but perform practically same duties as a SA.

DIA - Special Agent ? (Another labeling term and code?)

Dept. of State - Foreign Service Diplomatic Special Agent (1811?, assume so)

OSI - Civilian Special Agent (1811 code still?)

I know Dept. of State just had an opening for 120 slots but already closed the announcement. Any other feedback or comments on these positions would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

Nole795
05-21-05, 05:09 PM
I have never heard of a SA with DIA. If I recall, there were Special Agents with DSS (Defensive Security Service...not to be confused with Diplomatic Security) who were not sworn law enforcement agents. They are considered SA, but do not have arrest powers nor do they attend FLETC. I think their function is to conduct background investigations on companies/people who contract with Dept. of Defense. The last I heard, their functions were transferred from DSS to OPM.

AFOSI and DS are considered 1811 positions and are covered under LEAP and all the other goodies that Federal agents are entitled to.

fedhopeful
05-21-05, 05:26 PM
For DS I believe most of their special agents are 2501 under the Foreign Service.

I'm fairly certain they have 1811's but not as many as the number of 2501's.

Pretty much the same position but the Foreign Service isn't exactly the same as the Civil Service.

Joeyd6
05-21-05, 09:28 PM
DIA= Department of Indian Affiars. I think they do have 1811's if I am not mistaken. When I went to Blackwater I met a guy there from DIA and if my memory serves me correctly, he stated he was an 1811.

fedhopeful
05-21-05, 09:57 PM
Just to prevent confusion, DIA if ASU used the correct acronym is for Defense Intelligence Agency. I've never heard of them having 1811's but for all I know they may have a couple.

Indian Affairs is the Bureau of Indian Affairs or BIA for short.

ASUsundevil5
05-22-05, 02:44 AM
Just to prevent confusion, DIA if ASU used the correct acronym is for Defense Intelligence Agency. I've never heard of them having 1811's but for all I know they may have a couple.

Indian Affairs is the Bureau of Indian Affairs or BIA for short.

Yes I am referrinng to DIA as Defense Intelligence Agency, thank you for clearing up any confusion so far.

I know AFOSI and DS SA's attend FLETC, but I wanted to see if DIA had SA's who attend the same training as well or even have 1811's.

In addition, can you only apply for OSI and DS when vacancy annoucements appear?

ASUsundevil5
05-22-05, 03:41 AM
I think I may be squared away with everything except DIA. I'm looking for specifically any position that may relate to a 1811, duties or title. Is there one out there in this agency? Any help will be greatly appreciated

Nole795
05-22-05, 07:24 AM
The only agency I can think of that would be close would be DCIS (Defense Criminal Investigation Service) who are the Inspector General for the Dept of Defense.

http://www.dodig.osd.mil/INV/DCIS/

AndrewTx
05-22-05, 08:35 AM
I'm never heard of 1811 positions within the DIA, either. Given the number of federal agencies with 1811's, though, nothing would surprise me!

Kimble
05-22-05, 12:45 PM
I know AFOSI and DS SA's attend FLETC, but I wanted to see if DIA had SA's who attend the same training as well or even have 1811's.
No, I don't believe the Defense Intelligence Agency has 1811 positions that attend training at FLETC. Remember that DIA is a member of the Intelligence Community, not federal law enforcement.

In addition, can you only apply for OSI and DS when vacancy annoucements appear?
Yes. OSI has vacancy announcements posted on their website, as does Diplomatic Security. If you apply with them without a specific vacancy being opened, you're likely to have your application thrown out. DS closed their hiring earlier this month and OSI is currently in a temporary hiring freeze for civilian agents.

ASUsundevil5
05-22-05, 04:58 PM
Thank you again everyone for the help

Swat1
05-22-05, 07:10 PM
The series for DIA agent is 0132

Swat1*

ASUsundevil5
05-22-05, 08:03 PM
Thanks