Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

America
02-02-03, 09:36 AM
I have heard about different cops not wearing bullet proof vests when they were availiable because they're uncomfortable. I figure they must be pretty uncomfortable if they don't wear them, considering lives are more important than comfort. Are they just hot, or too heavy, or restrict movement?

Do most of you have them availiable or are they just for certain types of cops in your police department?

America

America
02-02-03, 10:04 AM
Please don't respond to the question for foreign cops yet, I accidently put my second thread under "Reply" instead of "New Thread". And I'm waiting to have it moved.

America

txinvestigator1
02-02-03, 12:44 PM
I have heard about different cops not wearing bullet proof vests when they were availiable because they're uncomfortable. I figure they must be pretty uncomfortable if they don't wear them, considering lives are more important than comfort. Are they just hot, or too heavy, or restrict movement?

Same reason some folks don't wear seat belts.

Lfpdlieu302
02-02-03, 06:56 PM
to me, if the vests are available to the officer, without he/she having to buy them, the only reason i can think of for them not wearing them frankly is ignorance! comfort to me equals the ability to go home after a shift and enjoy my family and life, uncomfortable equals a box made of wood that i lie in buried under the ground.

darrell
02-02-03, 07:05 PM
Lol Tx well said. I have heard of some insurance companies that cancel the life insurance if the officer wasnt wearing the vest when shot.

Comfort (VS) Life I choose life, even though it maynot always save you but it helps. Especially in car wrecks.

txinvestigator1
02-02-03, 07:18 PM
It's been ten years since I wore a vest daily, and I undestand the are really better now.

I hardly even thought about mine being on. No reason not to wear one.

Samuel
02-02-03, 09:55 PM
Who needs a vest when you have Superman Underoos on?

:D

02-03-03, 01:59 AM
Heat. Walk a mile in a man's shoes before you critisize him. Try wearing these things in FL or TX on 10 or 12 hours shifts, in the sun,in summer, doing traffic duty, at times you melt. When they make them comfortable, they will be worn.

Stump
02-03-03, 10:25 AM
When they make 'em comfortable, they won't work. :D
Personally, I would hate to wear 'em, but I have in the past. Remember how I refused when I went with you, TCSD? LOL...

America
02-03-03, 10:48 AM
Samuel, I hope your shirt isn't see-through so he bad guys can see your secret.

America

Lt915m
02-03-03, 06:14 PM
I haven't worn one in some time. Of course that may have to do with being assigned a desk to drive. I'll start wearing one again when they make one that will protect you from papercuts. OUCH - paper cuts are painfull!!!

In all seriousness, There is no reason to justify not wearing one while working the streets.

:)

zander_zye
02-03-03, 06:33 PM
The department I was with did not supply them. (cheapos) -- I guess they thought funerals were cheaper than vests..

hawkman
02-03-03, 10:36 PM
I always wear mine... I had to buy mine though as the department I work for doesn't supply them.

I'm used to it enough that I forget I have one :)

LBomb
02-03-03, 11:04 PM
We are supplied vests and it is mandatory that we wear them. Anyone who doesn't wearit is a fool. I've had 2 friends shot on the job and they are alive because they had the good sense to put the vest on before hiting the street.

zander_zye
02-03-03, 11:20 PM
My brothers friend thinks it is amusing to show off his "war wounds" at parties (he was shot point blank 4 times during a traffic stop - still working patrol!)

I guess his vest is a good advertisement for Second Chance.

LBomb
02-04-03, 01:40 AM
Well. he has a warped sense of humor. There's not much amusement in being shot.

Scubapro
02-04-03, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Stump
When they make 'em comfortable, they won't work. :D

Actually Second Chance and some of the others have recently made some comfortable vests.

There is no good reason NOT to wear a vest. Our explorers are required to wear vest on ride a longs. Detectives should be wearing vest. Just no excuse not to!

Officer down
02-06-03, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Scubapro
There is no good reason NOT to wear a vest. Our explorers are required to wear vest on ride a longs. Detectives should be wearing vest. Just no excuse not to!

I was an Explorer for three years. I started wearing one the second year in the program. I don't know why the Explorers didn't wear them earlier. Looking at it now I WOULD NEVER do anything without my vest on! The vest is like my Glock. Never go to work without it.

When I was Exploring, the very first time I had one on, it didn't quite seem uncomfortable but it had a “new feel” to it. I got use to the feeling of it now it feels strange if I DON'T wear it. Hell, even the dog has one.

I would never go to work without a Second Chance! After a while working you learn that not everyone is trust worthy and some actually have a beef with the police. Imagine that!

Gizmo21
02-07-03, 12:27 PM
I don't see why the bad guys don't just shoot for the head.

Lfpdlieu302
02-07-03, 12:34 PM
isnt there some kind of a crap filter we can turn on for these posts?

allusivewolf
02-07-03, 07:05 PM
i think that is just complasency and ingnorance, i mean would you go to work without your weapon?