Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

Star
04-03-05, 10:56 AM
Oh, brother! I wonder if Martha Stewart had something to do with this.

Tokyo - Japan is to try to improve morale among its swelling prison population by giving inmates more attractively coloured uniforms and bedding.

Experts have advised the government that the clashing orange and green striped bedcovers prisons have been using for more than half a century could make prisoners nervous and aggressive, Kyodo news agency said.

The colour psychologists recommended bedding in warm colours such as brown for a good night's sleep.

Black and white striped pajamas and yellow-green uniforms were also criticised as "lacking brightness".

The psychologists recommended they be replaced with mint green and pale blue outfits, to give prisoners a more positive outlook, Kyodo said.

Japan is rethinking its treatment of its more than 60 000 prison inmates after uncovering incidents of fatal abuse by guards at Nagoya Prison in 2001 and 2002.

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=29&art_id=qw111243204066B241

0311Marine
04-03-05, 03:56 PM
Isnt the whole point of prison to have low morale, to convince the criminals that they dont want to go back?

ngcsubutterbar
04-03-05, 03:57 PM
Isnt the whole point of prison to have low morale, to convince the criminals that they dont want to go back?

no because that's when they tend to start acting out and even rioting. Not wanting them to come back is one thing, but dealing with them once their there is different.

whether the plan above will work, no comment.

Seand442
04-03-05, 04:46 PM
next step, feng shui.

Question
04-03-05, 05:14 PM

Ideally, yes, but inmates have to make the mental connection that they are in a bad situation because of what they did. Most inmates don't make that connection.

Star
04-03-05, 05:17 PM
Ideally, yes, but inmates have to make the mental connection that they are in a bad situation because of what they did. Most inmates don't make that connection.Since they were stupid enough to land their dumbass in jail, I doubt any of them have enough sense to. ;)

Michelles
04-03-05, 05:56 PM
My vote is for the possum pink or petobismo pink.

Or maybe some optical illusion printed PJ's.

Whitewolf1970
04-03-05, 08:50 PM
My vote is for the possum pink or petobismo pink.

Or maybe some optical illusion printed PJ's. Lovely pink color and with a touch of hot pink which will match with pink handcuffs. And brown bedding is not needed. So pink bedding is better. With pink-painted walls and pink floor tiles. ;)

Seand442
04-03-05, 09:21 PM
Sounds like Sheriff Joe might have found a new market.

rhiannon
04-03-05, 10:08 PM
In our jail, the inmates wear light pink underwear, bras, and tshirts. The pants and over shirt are orange. Our trustees wear navy blue to tell them apart from the regular inmates.

The color of the uniforms, I don't think, will have any effect on how inmates act. We have a few of those "tough guys" who come in saying they won't wear pink underwear, and a few linen exchanges later, they are right there asking for their size.

There are enough things going on in jails today that coddle inmates, choosing a fashionable clothing line is just another example.

Michelles
04-03-05, 11:13 PM
They wear blue with little white hats at one of the places here and the trustees (I still do not understand why they are given that title), wear street clothes with orange and yellow reflective vest.

Whitewolf1970
04-04-05, 12:17 AM
Lovely pink color and with a touch of hot pink which will match with pink handcuffs. And brown bedding is not needed. So pink bedding is better. With pink-painted walls and pink floor tiles. ;)

Ooh, yeah..not forget to mention.. some pink towels to go with, some pink toothbrushes, toothbrush holders, and yes, the pink combs, too. It's lovely to call them pinky inmates/prisoners.

Michelles
04-04-05, 12:26 AM
Sounds like a Peptobismo nitemare! EEks!

Maybe glow in the dark instead.

Whitewolf1970
04-04-05, 12:43 AM
Sounds like a Peptobismo nitemare! EEks!

Maybe glow in the dark instead.

Hehehe :D And that too is a good idea. ;)

KittyMom
04-05-05, 06:28 PM
Yeah, it might cut down on nighttime escapes! :D

TheQuietCorner
04-05-05, 07:33 PM
My personal opinion, if it tends to make them aggressive, ditch it. I can see that. Example, wearing pink would tend to keep morale among guys low I think, but might reduce fights. As a guy, if I was dressed in pink, I might be disinclined to attack another guy dressed in pink. Try and picture these scenario's from the inmates perspective. I can see it working on a subconscious level, but they shouldn't do it to increase morale. That's just me thinking through it personally.