Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : HID headlights

Whitewolf1970
01-23-05, 06:24 PM
How do you guys feel about HID (high-intensity discharge) headlights that newer vehicles have? Even the old vehicles got HID headlights they can purchase from auto stores to don their vehicles with.

Officers, does it bother you when the vehicles with HID headlights are behind you?

I have been reading a lot of complaints lately even they bother my driving. I hate bright beams.

ngcsubutterbar
01-23-05, 06:26 PM
so that's what on these new suv's that I have to angle down my rear view mirror from so I can drive without being blinded at night? I don't like brights unless their needed and there are no other affected vehicles.

Whitewolf1970
01-23-05, 06:29 PM
so that's what on these new suv's that I have to angle down my rear view mirror from so I can drive without being blinded at night? I don't like brights unless their needed and there are no other affected vehicles.

Yeah, I keep adjusting my rear-view mirror each time the vehicle is behind me with the HID headlights. But the problem is the Side-view mirrors. ARGH! :(

Ranger__101
01-23-05, 06:49 PM
I don't have a problem on the newer vehicles. Considering the who headlight assembally was designed for the brighter discharge so it's angled correctly a the ground to cause the lease amount of reflection of the road.

There's just too many people out there who have no idea where their headlights are out of aim and should get them aimed right.

I'm glad in my state that unless HID are factory they're illegal to modify an existing vehicle.

acreature
01-23-05, 06:51 PM
Doesn't bother me. If they're too bright, it's just another reason to stop 'em, look and sniff :)

chewy
01-23-05, 06:56 PM
I fully and completely support "high-intensity discharge". :p

ngcsubutterbar
01-23-05, 06:56 PM
I don't have a problem on the newer vehicles. Considering the who headlight assembally was designed for the brighter discharge so it's angled correctly a the ground to cause the lease amount of reflection of the road.

There's just too many people out there who have no idea where their headlights are out of aim and should get them aimed right.

I'm glad in my state that unless HID are factory they're illegal to modify an existing vehicle.

yo, it's not the reflection off the road that's the problem, its the direct beam coming onto/into the cars in front of a high sitting suv. Granted some of the fools may be following me to closely as well, but damn. it's a straight light into my rear window.

seltzer
01-23-05, 09:59 PM
back and side window tint with a 4 wheel drive full size pickup--doesn't bother me a bit! :p

In all actuality, I've sold thousands of the "wanna-be" HID lights, the "cool-whites" and the "blue" look bulbs to retro-fit into the newer cars original assemblies. They are not that much brighter than the stock bulbs, but they are a whiter light, like the Reveal bulbs GE makes now. They aren't the yellow beams that people are used to. The problem lies when people put them in themselves, and don't re-aim the assemblies. All the wiggling back and forth getting the old bulbs out sometimes causes the assemblies to om eout of whack.

Samuel
01-23-05, 11:23 PM
I think HID is great technology.

IIRC, ditto in CA on only factory HID's being legal.

Some problems with aftermarket setups:
Factory (stock) reflector not designed for HID bulbs resulting in terrible focus and pattern.
HID owners (usually aftermarket) not adjusting the beams properly (or unable to adjust).
Aftermarket HIDs too high on the temperature scale (too blue in color).

Like Acreature said, too bright = another reason to stop.

P01IC3M4N
01-23-05, 11:33 PM
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/rulings/glare.html

dizza
02-07-05, 02:30 PM
I love my HID's on my truck. Since the truck didn't come with them, I bought them aftermarket. I can see a lot farther than I could before and wider too. Haven't had any problems with any officers pulling me over for them either. Gotta love that.

-d

ngcsubutterbar
02-07-05, 02:36 PM
yes

2 - Specific Issues
2.1 - Glare from High Mounted Headlamps

Because LTVs, in general, are taller than passenger cars, their headlamps are generally mounted higher than those of passenger cars. This often occurs for styling or functionality purposes, the latter related to load carrying capacity and potential off-road use. Whenever a headlamp is higher than an observer's eyes, or higher than the height of a mirror, the more intense portions of the lower beam, those portions aimed straight to downward, can cause much greater glare than the portions of the beam aimed upward. This height differential creates a problem for operators of lower vehicles, when the more intense areas of the taller vehicle's headlamps, shine directly into the eyes of oncoming drivers or into the mirrors of preceding vehicles. The oncoming drivers experience transient glare because of the rate of closure speed, the quickly widening angle from the observer to the glare source, and the transient nature of hills and curves. Preceding drivers, however, can experience long term reflected glare and high interior brightness adaptation. They are more likely to have greater discomfort and disability, and thus, higher risk of a crash.

that is EXACTLy what I'm talking about.

Phre4k
02-07-05, 02:36 PM
I want to put some HIDs in my headlights on my 97 blazer, I also will put a set in my fog lamps and get clear lenses for the fog lamps. I looked at autozone and the box said D.O.T. approved, does that mean they are legal?

tenfour
02-07-05, 03:27 PM
I'm all for them, if I could afford "real" HIDs Id put them on my Tahoe. Alot of people get real HID lights confused with the cheap blue looking regular bulbs you can put in.

Real HID lights are expensive and use xenon in the bulbs, and have a special control box with them. They are brighter and last longer, I guess I don't see whats bad about that.