Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : Turn your lights on in the rain.

skiingman
01-12-05, 05:20 PM
If its freezing rain out, pouring, and just below freezing, the roads are probably pretty slick.

Also, visibility is likely to be poor. For this reason, many states have laws requiring headlight use in poor visibility or when windshield wipers are in use.

I drove by a NYS trooper in the pouring rain today, and he/she didn't have their headlights on. Please try and set a good example for all the non-professional drivers out there by following the law and good sense.
-Garrett

80's hair
01-12-05, 05:31 PM
We needed the lights on with the fog/haze crap we have had all day. Not really raining at the time just crappy can't see 100 yard ahead of you. Weird weather.

Can we just thaw the pool and go swimming yet? All the stores are selling swim suits like we are suposed to buying them. LMAO

It is cold wet and just plain yucky here. Who in their right mind wouldn't turn on their lights. Unless you were parked.

Later 80's Hair

txinvestigator1
01-12-05, 06:49 PM
If its freezing rain out, pouring, and just below freezing, the roads are probably pretty slick.

Also, visibility is likely to be poor. For this reason, many states have laws requiring headlight use in poor visibility or when windshield wipers are in use.

I drove by a NYS trooper in the pouring rain today, and he/she didn't have their headlights on. Please try and set a good example for all the non-professional drivers out there by following the law and good sense.
-Garrett

Oh boy. Why don't you worry about your own driving.

mcsap
01-12-05, 08:23 PM

-Garrett

Maybe you should get on the NYST website and send THEM your message. Our law is not one of bad weather, rather it mandates use when visibility is less than 500 ft. Some states require lights when wipers are on though. SO what law does NY have and whether it was a good idea or not, did the trooper actually violate it ?

Gooch
01-12-05, 09:10 PM
-Garrett

I've always wondered whatever became of The Church Lady from SNL...now I know. She somehow procreated a son. :rolleyes:

scott715us
01-13-05, 09:40 PM
I saw a citizen today on the road with a headlight out...be a good boy and make sure your headlights are working.

(sigh)

Lawson
01-13-05, 10:25 PM
Yesterday I saw a Police Expedition with a headlight dimmed. Then he wrote me a ticket when I rearended that car while not paying attention to what I was doing :D
:lol:

chewy
01-13-05, 10:38 PM
I was driving through Detroit yesterday and saw a guy shooting a Mac 10 out the window as he drove through a red light. Come on people, if your going to be occupied while driving at least pay attention to the lights, running a red light can seriously hurt someone.!

I actually drive with my headlights on all the time anyway, just got in the habit. However when driving a marked car I feel I am above the laws of the land and instead of "setting an example" I show everyone what you can get away with when driving a police car!

acreature
01-13-05, 10:40 PM
****e.... I saw Darin in his Patrol car two days ago..... chasing to catch a speeder with a head light out AND typing on his MDT! But wait, there's more.... he was actually Sat-Linked to the internet and posting on RP!

When you're out and about, make sure your head lights work, k?

bobcoop06
01-16-05, 02:42 AM
Headlights are for wussies.

cntryboy0531
01-16-05, 03:56 AM
Skiingman, how many times have YOU forgotten to turn on your headlights when its raining? or have been late when turning them on? I have a feeling your the type of person that LOOKS for a reason to go crying to a department and making a BS complaint against an officer for anything. :mad:

acreature
01-16-05, 11:03 AM
No Lights with Wipers On violation in NC is a $5 ticket. No court costs. Not worth the ink used to lay the ticket out.

skiingman
01-16-05, 07:57 PM
Skiingman, how many times have YOU forgotten to turn on your headlights when its raining? or have been late when turning them on? I have a feeling your the type of person that LOOKS for a reason to go crying to a department and making a BS complaint against an officer for anything. :mad:

Never made such a complaint, prolly never will.

In NY, the law requires use when the wipers are on. Although, common sense on that day dictated their use anyways, it was foggy and raining and icy and ugly as heck.

I usually turn them on when I get in the car first time of the day, then get out and check to see that they all work. You may think I'm kidding, but I'm not. I then turn them off if they aren't needed.

Regardless of what *I* do, LEOs are supposed to be driving role models. At least, thats the way it used to be.

Acreature: Since the ticket doesn't generate a large fine, it therefore isn't worth writing? Or do you feel it just isn't important enough to write? I personally think its pretty darned important that people have their lights on when you can't see them very well otherwise.