Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : Police Scanner?

Michelles
01-04-05, 08:32 PM
I just read in another thread about the person who had the police scanner in their car.
It's against the law to have a police scanner in your personal vehicle if your not a LEO?

I have a scanner in mine with all my local police channels on it. I have never been told it was wrong.

Southern California

Michelles
01-04-05, 09:03 PM
Thank you DC Law! I will check tomorrow at our station and see what our laws are again on it.

Is it just in the cars that it is wrong/illegal to have or all together to own?

acreature
01-04-05, 09:15 PM
Legal in MVs in NC, but not in VA.

txinvestigator1
01-04-05, 09:21 PM
Nothing illegal about it in Texas either.

And DC and I disagree on this one.

Michelles
01-04-05, 09:30 PM
I couldn't wait till tomorrow to find out. I just got off the phone with the volunteer commander/retired LEO and he said it is okay to have it in my personal vehicle or home. Which is nice, because I do have both.

Seems like I have heard that there is a law against someone who is on probation or a parole to have one in both their car and their home here in California, but I forgot to ask about it.

txinvestigator1
01-04-05, 09:36 PM
I know we do, but I dislike it when the wrong people monitor us. It makes it easier for them to either evade or ambush one of us and I don't care to give those inclined to do either any edge.

On that point, no argument from me there.

Johninaustin
01-04-05, 09:37 PM
Don't you guys encrypt? Our digital format requires it.

Bearcat06
01-04-05, 09:47 PM
Don't you guys encrypt? Our digital format requires it.

Only the larger cities around here do that. The smaller cities and counties can't afford it.

acreature
01-04-05, 09:50 PM
We have a secure feature (Secure-Net), but the PDs wouldnt purchase the same software, and if we go secure, the PDs only here squelch and then they stop scanning. If they dont scan, it costs several precious seconds for them to know that we need help.

We have it still, just very rarely use it.

Legoate
01-04-05, 11:07 PM
Scanners are legal in CA. Unfortunately for listeners, most of the good stuff comes over the MDT.

Cat_Doc
01-04-05, 11:16 PM
Scanners completely legal in Arizona, mobile or home. There have been efforts to have them outlawed in vehicles as they can and are being used as tools in criminal activity. Have to wait and see what happens. All the news channels love the scanners, gets them to the hot calls faster and bugs the crap out of us.

scott715us
01-05-05, 12:33 AM
Don't believe it is illegal in TN either.

Oldbillplod
01-05-05, 03:12 AM
We went digital in December, would loved to see the look on the faces of our scrotes when they got their sorry asses out of bed at midday to turn on their scanners only to here jack ****.

codered
01-05-05, 07:14 AM
Scanners that recieve LE bands are illegal in Kentucky.

If i find one in your ride, your takin a ride with me.

Wombat311
01-05-05, 07:20 AM
Not illegal to have it or listen to it here. It is illegal to use or do anything with the information you may hear on it though. Proving that in court, is another matter altogether.

We are supposedly going digital this year, with the MDT's. Believe that too, when I see it.

Group9
01-05-05, 08:30 AM
All of the news reporters carried them in south Florida and we noticed that if you ever asked for help from Broward County SO, you were going to have a news crew arrive with them. Apparently, they were one of the last agencies down there that didn't have a secure radio system.

Michelles
01-05-05, 11:24 AM
I will take out of my ride before traveling to the states it is illegal in.
I'm assuming that there also are no scanners at the Radio Shacks or Electronic stores in those states?

We do other things to make it not easy for the public to know what is going on, but will not post. I can say we do some times take it to a wireless.
Not cordless!

S43riff
01-05-05, 07:32 PM
I think in Florida it cant be MOUNTED in a vehicle.

Ranger__101
01-05-05, 07:48 PM
Scaners are also illegal in vehicles in MN unless you have a permit from the BCA or an Amateur Radio License.