Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : Construction Zone Speed Limit?

Victorunit
12-22-04, 02:27 PM
If there is only orange signs posted that say construction zone, on a curb facing both directions of traffic, next to construction workers building a home,
what would the speed limit be?
Also, is there a rule or law about who can post signs in the street?

This is in California, but wouldn't mind also knowing if the speed would be changed in other areas.

I dropped my speed from a 55 to a 25.
Though I have never seen construction workers building a home that have posted signs in the street before.

:) Thank you:)

acreature
12-22-04, 02:31 PM
Construction Speed Zones here are only enforcable for Road Construction areas.

JD45
12-22-04, 03:00 PM
and in CA if you notate on the cite that they were in a construction zone, the fine gets doubled...;)

scott715us
12-22-04, 06:17 PM
I believe it's the same for most states. Speeding fines are doubled in construction zones. If the construction sign does not have a speed limit posted with it, then you should maintain the normal speed limit, but with caution.

Most construction signs have speed limits with them or there will be a speed limit sign set up with it or immediately following it indicating slower speeds. It is best to adhere to them. They have really become strict on violating the speed limits in construction zones in Nashville. Using many patrol units along with helicopters. One particular road with major road construction is already known for serious accidents and fatalities. It will only get worse now that constructions is being done hence the strict speed enforcement.

Bearcat06
12-22-04, 07:07 PM
and in CA if you notate on the cite that they were in a construction zone, the fine gets doubled...;)

Same for the Show-Me-State.....

mcsap
12-22-04, 09:27 PM
In an active construction zone the fine is doubled and at 11 mph over the limit there is also a mandatory 15 day suspension.

skiingman
12-23-04, 11:04 AM
Also, is there a rule or law about who can post signs in the street?

If it ain't in the MUTCD at the federal or state level, it isn't a legal traffic control device.

Who can/can not put signs up is regulated by state law AFAIK.

tomahawk134
12-23-04, 12:21 PM
Same in New Mexico

Construction Zones violations the fines Double

tomwoolworth

andytelford
12-24-04, 01:20 AM
same in oregon, fines double in work zones

SuperCop833
01-26-05, 01:09 AM
In Missouri some areas are double fine zones but others are the cost of the ticket PLUS a mandatory $250.00 right off the bat. Moral of the story....orange means slow down or you'll be coughin' up a lot of green! :-)

monstermudder78
01-26-05, 04:38 PM
Same in New Mexico

Construction Zones violations the fines Double

Isn't that great!! I got someone for 30 over in a construction zone the other day and they wanted the penalty assessment!! I can't remember exactly how much it was but it was approaching $400!