Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : Headlight out

wantedtobecop
12-17-04, 09:20 PM
Just out of curiosity, where you're a LEO, is a burned out headlight a no-points on driving record "fix it" ticket/warning or a full fledged ticket? And what is the fine usually for something like this? :o

Babysmamadrama
12-17-04, 09:23 PM
I usually warn for it but I definitely check the driver for other violations, wants, warrants, smell of weed, booze. Fine is probably different for state to state.

Wombat311
12-17-04, 10:31 PM
I don't normally give a ticket for it, but if I was to give everything I could give for it, it would be;
$135 and 2 points for not having a working headlight
A vehicle defect notice. (which you have to get fixed or your registration gets suspended)
$175 for driving an unroadworthy vehicle. (can't remember if that has points on it or not.)

mcsap
12-17-04, 10:34 PM
$105 fine here, NO points as it isn't a moving vio. I rarely write these but do write a lot of warnings, if not repsonded to in 5 days, ticket time.

Darin
12-18-04, 10:40 AM
Not a moving violation in VA. but an equipment violation. I usually give warnings for these unless I've given warnings and they still don't fix it. Here it's a $30 fine plus court cost so $86 and thank you for supporting the Commonwealth.

Darin
12-18-04, 10:42 AM
Also, this is great PC stop to check for other things like DUI, drugs, suspended license, wants/warrants.

greenlead
12-18-04, 11:24 AM
As an advisor (and one I look up to) tell me: "If it's worth writing..."

JD45
12-18-04, 03:25 PM
It's a fix-it ticket in CA. After fixing it, you'll have to have it signed off by an LEO and then pay a 10 dollar dismissal fee. Won't go on your driving record at all UNLESS, you don't take care of it by the due date.

scott715us
12-21-04, 05:42 PM
It is a ticket, but a non-moving violation so no points against your driving history. I use to give warnings mainly for these, but I don't think it does any good. I see so many of them now, that I'll go ahead and write em. It's only $25 here (in TN) so they can either pay that or $5-10 for a light bulb and a trip to court to get it thrown out. ;)

bobcoop06
12-23-04, 01:32 AM
What if you catch a car with a headlight out driving with their brights to hide it? This happens ALL the time around here. With streetlights being everywhere, it's not hard to drive around without your headlights on without noticing until you get out of town, so brights are definitely not needed. Whenever we see a car driving around with their brights on in town, it's a pretty safe bet they have a headlight out and are trying to avoid that ticket. If you were to encounter this, would it warrant a ticket as it's and obvious attemt to decieve you?

Darin
12-23-04, 02:04 AM
What if you catch a car with a headlight out driving with their brights to hide it? This happens ALL the time around here. With streetlights being everywhere, it's not hard to drive around without your headlights on without noticing until you get out of town, so brights are definitely not needed. Whenever we see a car driving around with their brights on in town, it's a pretty safe bet they have a headlight out and are trying to avoid that ticket. If you were to encounter this, would it warrant a ticket as it's and obvious attemt to decieve you?

Driving with your high beams on and not dimming them for oncoming is an offense here in VA. I pull people all the time for this. It can be a good indicator of a DUI.

FloridaLEO
12-23-04, 02:17 AM
Most of the time I just write out a warning. We have two options when it comes to citations. A non moving with the specific statute for the light and that would cost 68.50. Then there's the 316.610 statute that gives them the right to fix it within 30 days, go to a LE department and have them sign off on it and the violator just pays some filing fee of like around 9 dollars.

bobcoop06
12-23-04, 02:42 AM
Most of the time I just write out a warning. We have two options when it comes to citations. A non moving with the specific statute for the light and that would cost 68.50. Then there's the 316.610 statute that gives them the right to fix it within 30 days, go to a LE department and have them sign off on it and the violator just pays some filing fee of like around 9 dollars.

That gives you a good opportunity to be evil to out-of-towners!

"Alright meow, you need to stop by the station sometime in the next thirty days to get this taken care of." "But we're going back to Indiana in the morning...." "Well then, option number two....Press hard, four copies."

skiingman
12-23-04, 11:01 AM
Driving with your high beams on and not dimming them for oncoming is an offense here in VA. I pull people all the time for this. It can be a good indicator of a DUI.

Just wanted to say thank you for this.

The idiots that do this really irk me.

acreature
12-23-04, 11:03 AM

Fail to Dim upon approach of oncoming traffic.

As per SFST DWI ratio, there would be a 10% chance that the operator is impaired.

bobcoop06
12-23-04, 11:16 AM
Hey acreature,

Sententia es amo *******s. Si vos operor non amo meus sententia , meditatus EGO sum sermo ex meus ***.

??? :confused:

acreature
12-23-04, 11:17 AM
Hey acreature,

Sententia es amo *******s. Si vos operor non amo meus sententia , meditatus EGO sum sermo ex meus ***.

??? :confused:latin ;)

Darin
12-23-04, 11:34 AM
Fail to Dim upon approach of oncoming traffic.

As per SFST DWI ratio, there would be a 10% chance that the operator is impaired.
That's how I snagged my first DUI :cool:

slim202cop
12-25-04, 04:47 AM
In DC, all fines relating to headlights are $25. Normally, I pulled over cars with one light out OR both lights out. A few times, I'll give a warning ticket if that is the only thing that is wrong. Most other times, there is something else wrong, so I cite them for that as well as whatever else is wrong.

MORA Ranger
12-25-04, 05:07 AM
My first arrest stemmed from a headlight out. Passenger was hinky so I checked him for warrants. He he he...

scott715us
12-25-04, 06:29 PM

It is a charge in TN to keep high beams on with cars approaching within a specific distance or if you're behind a vehicle and less than "so many feet" and leave your high beams on. I nailed one the other day. He was right behind me and had his high beams on. They were on because of a headlight out on his Nissan Maxima. Found out he had a different license tag after pulling him over. I think I ended up with six violations, including high beams and headlight out. About $150. :D

wantedtobecop
01-01-05, 06:27 PM
Wouldn't you know; I post this question a bit ago, and the bulb I just bought as a replacement is going out (I had the retaining ring break on me and the new bulb was jumping around in the light assembly and got scratched). :o

The day time lights didn't help the situation either.

Dayna36
01-01-05, 07:04 PM
One of my headlights has been out for several days. I mostly just drive in the daylight so I don't think about it much. Guess I need to get my lazy butt out into the cold and change it. Me no need fine. :(

leowonderer
01-01-05, 08:30 PM
Interesting thing happened to me with this. My right headlight had just gone out in my car (I mean just went out) and not 5 minutes later the local PD pulled me over. I was on my way home from a dinner and I was going to stop by and buy a new set of bulbs. The officer gave me a warning and I went on my way.

I can see how an officer would use this a PC for other problems. People that are too lazy to fix something that is a major hazard may have other things wrong they are trying to hide.

codered51
01-02-05, 09:47 AM

I sure wish I knew what Michigan's laws were on this. I hate it too when people don't dim their lights. Pretty hard on a person like me with sensitive eyes. :o

This has been a pretty interesting thread. I've enjoyed reading the posts from different states.

wantedtobecop
01-03-05, 12:34 AM
It turns out my light wiring harness had rested on the tranny for the past 5 years ('00 cavalier), weakened the plastic and cracked, letting water and salt in over time (ohio loves their salt). My brother fixed it and now I can somewhat see. Need to clean off the gunk on the windscreen. :(

wantedtobecop
02-26-05, 07:51 AM
I find it questionable when at a c-store someone comes in regular for a smokes or beer run (sometimes smelling like a brewery) and each time the same headlight is out, or similar case for a signal light/plate light. Oh well, guess GOTTA HAVE that alcohol. ;) :p I noticed that when I was a cashier a number of years ago.

Deputy Joe
02-28-05, 10:16 AM
In Wisconsin most officers issue warnings for having a headlamp out. The ticket amount is $156.20.

At my department, we issue 15 daty warnings. They can sign their own warning and mail it back. I save the officer certification for things like window tinting, loud muffler and safety concerns (no brake lamps).

People are genuinely good and will fix their headlamp on their own.

qpd158
02-28-05, 11:07 AM
We have a variety of options at our disposal. Like some we mostly do written warnings, (no fines), a Notice of Violation (NOV) when people have been warned $5.00. Then goes to the citation level, which goes up to $75.00. Driver has to be pretty stupid to get the citation, but it does happen. :rolleyes:

Seand442
02-28-05, 03:24 PM
Said it before, will say it again. POS people drive POS cars. If Joe ****bag cannot take care of his car, do you think he will have taken care of his previous citations, etc. Many arrests come from simple equipment violations.

Question
02-28-05, 04:07 PM

That is probably not an attempt to deceive per se. Rather it's because they cannot see with only one light.

wantedtobecop
03-01-05, 08:22 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I've seen alot of "Popeyes" and when you see their tailights in the mirror, there is only one. I've had these gomers flash their "lights" at me thinking my (aimed) headlights were on brights. They weren't; I have 9007 XtraVision bulbs in my cavalier. They should see them in summer when my lights are not so smeared from cleaning off dirt in a free moment. :D

wantedtobecop
03-01-05, 08:26 AM
That is probably not an attempt to deceive per se. Rather it's because they cannot see with only one light.

Out of curiosity, how many have been unable to see because of their new and stylish "beer goggles"? ;) :p

skiingman
03-02-05, 11:25 AM
I have 9007 XtraVision bulbs in my cavalier. They should see them in summer when my lights are not so smeared from cleaning off dirt in a free moment. :D

Your lights are illegal.

thelemite
03-02-05, 11:33 AM
Your lights are illegal.
You beat me to it. As far as I know, unless they are the original factory lights, they are not DOT approved. I do know I can at least use it as PC for a stop, along with the dark window tint, the little red or blue LED lights, and the loud stereo that usually seems to go with them, (especially if they have the colored filters).

wantedtobecop
03-02-05, 03:48 PM
My OEMs burned out. They were a few years old. Sylvania and Phillips are suppliers to several OEMs.

skiingman
03-02-05, 11:29 PM
My OEMs burned out. They were a few years old. Sylvania and Phillips are suppliers to several OEMs.

Correct, but they do not supply the particular non FMVSS compliant (section 108) bulbs you have to OEMs.

Tokico is an OEM supplier, but the Tokicos on the three cars in my stable were never OEM applications, and are questionably legal to use.

Lights that are substantially different from what the OEM specified ARE substantially illegal, and some LEO someplace even made a great website about it....

http://fmvss108.tripod.com/

Note the tidbit at the top right, Phillips/Sylvania are being investigated by NHTSA currently.

wantedtobecop
03-03-05, 11:04 AM
I checked that site. I wish search engines were more helpful when I go looking for such info. :( I never even knew it existed.

The bulbs that I have (Xtravision) are clear glass. The bulbs that are mentioned on the site are the "blue" bulbs, and the glass on these type of bulbs are colored/tinted to give an HID "look". I had similar bulbs (Silverstars) in my car before, then after they started to act up I went to a lighting comparison site similar to the above site mentioned. I read the information on the "blue" and similar bulbs, then read the info on better bulbs without the light-stealing colored glass.

The clear glass gives more useful light than the bulbs I had previously, and than the ones from when the chevy was made ('99) which were the yellowish
standard halogens. Those original bulbs lasted about until July '00.

LightingGuru
03-03-05, 02:19 PM
Skiingman, you're not correct on this one. The Sylvania Xtravision bulbs (and their equivalents from other makers, GE Night Hawk, Philips High Visibility, Narva Rangepower, etc.) are fully compliant with all applicable provisions of FMVSS 108, and are therefore legal to use in all 50 states.

Twenty years ago, it was very easy to police lighting violations. All cars had sealed-beam headlamps and they were all more or less alike (some were round, some were rectangular, and that was about the extent of the variations). Times have changed! LEOs have a virtually impossible lighting-enforcement job nowtimes. There's been enormous proliferation of different OE lighting systems, many of which appear radically different from one another but all of which are legally compliant.

What's more, there's been even greater proliferation of "lookalike" products designed to cause one type of system to mimic the appearance of another type of system. Even worse, some of these imitator-type products are legally compliant and others are not. Can YOU tell the difference at a glance between a factory HID ("Xenon") headlamp, an illegal aftermarket HID "retrofit", a legal "blue-look" bulb and an illegal "blue-look" bulb? How about the difference between the driver dangerously running Daytime Running Lights + parking/tail lamps after dark vs. the driver safely running low beams + parking/tail lamps after dark? The odds are that you probably cannot, through no fault of your own. It takes a full-time geek to be able to spot these differences (and more) without extensive digging and disassembly, which most LEO's don't have time to do.

Lens markings USED to tell a complete compliance story. If a headlamp said "DOT", it was a US headlamp. If it didn't say DOT, it wasn't. Now even OEM headlamps often have two and three sets of markings, because the same outer lens is used in front of multiple different sets of guts, depending on where the car was first sold. That's a real problem; AAMVA put out a bulletin a few years ago claiming that a factory HID headlamp could be identified by the lens marking "HG", while a factory halogen headlamp could be identified by the marking "HR". Not only are those markings not required by any US law (they're optional), but there's a European "HR" marking that means something completely different and appears on many factory HID headlamps.

And that's not all. Many state vehicle codes are woefully inadequate when it comes to accurate and precise prescription of what is and is not permitted. States are gradually incorporating FMVSS 108 into their lighting codes, in whole or in part, directly or by reference, but most states still have their own lighting codes that make no reference to FMVSS 108. Many of these state codes are very poorly written, using unenforceably vague language to refer to lighting devices and specifications that have in many cases been obsolete for decades. This kind of code effectively ties LEOs' hands; citations get tossed out of court as soon as the defendant (or his daddy) says "Show me the specific part of the specific law that was broken".

It's not just headlamp bulbs, either. Taillamps, clear with or without red bulbs...some of these are OE factory equipment and legal, others are not and not!), fog lamps mounted high, mounted low, showing what appears to be blue light (but it might actually be within the legal "white" range!) or yellow light or white light, wired with the low beams, wired with the high beams, wired independently. Driving lamps (auxiliary high beams) misused as fog lamps. Misaimed headlamps. Headlamps intended for the wrong side of the road (so-called "JDM" Japanese Domestic Market headlamps, popular with the kidzzzz, these throw most of the low beam light ahead and to the left, which is appropriate in countries where they drive on the left, but zaps oncoming eyes here where we drive on the right. Most state codes lack any language that can be used specifically to enforce against these!). Blue sidemarker lights, blue turn signal bulbs...sure, they're improper, but where's the language in the law that says "Front and side turn signals must be amber. Rear turn signals must be amber or red."? Absent, in most states. Illegal LED wafer "retrofits" into brake lamps, turn signals, etc. that reduce the lamp to a completely inadequate 1" circle of dim light when the brake pedal's pressed. Totally inadequate and grossly unsafe, but where's the law?

And even those states that have reasonably recent lighting codes often have completely ridiculous provisions contained in those codes, which further serve to hamper the LEO's efforts. Oregon, for instance, stipulates that headlamps shall be operated only in a manner that does not cause glare to other road users, BUT then says that the low beams comply with this requirement *regardless of vehicle loading*. Throw a load in your trunk, tow a trailer with your pickup truck, and your low beams are pointing directly into other drivers' eyes, but this poorly-thought-out provision in ORS says the blinding glare doesn't exist as far as the law is concerned.

NHTSA (vehicle safety division of Federal DOT) is working on cracking down on the sale of illegal HID "retrofit" kits (which put an HID arc capsule where a halogen bulb belongs), and this crackdown is beginning to show signs of success. But the blue-bulb problem is still a very real one, and there's no solution in the pipeline because NHTSA refuses to stipulate that bulbs must use colorless clear glass. This leaves the LEO in the impossible position of trying to discern "legal blue headlights" from "illegal blue headlights". Good luck on that one.

Resources-

Why HID "retrofits" don't work (http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html)

Exact description of why drivers need to turn their fog lamps OFF unless it is foggy or snowing (http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/lights/fog_lamps/fog_lamps.html)

What "DOT legal" means and doesn't mean on a headlamp bulb (http://www.candlepowerinc.com/pdfs/DOT_Legal.pdf)

Why overwattage headlamp bulbs are dangerous (http://www.candlepowerinc.com/pdfs/Illegal_Overwattage.pdf)

VERY detailed discussion of vehicle lighting and glare, blue bulbs, HID retrofits, etc.—may put you to sleep if you're not interested. (http://dsl.torque.net/images/DSL_8885.pdf)

More questions, just ask.

skiingman
03-03-05, 09:04 PM
Holy heck.

I'm glad I was wrong. That is a formidable lot of info right there. Thats a lot of interesting and intriguing reading to do.

Cheers

skiingman
03-03-05, 09:08 PM
I checked that site. I wish search engines were more helpful when I go looking for such info. :( I never even knew it existed.

The bulbs that I have (Xtravision) are clear glass. The bulbs that are mentioned on the site are the "blue" bulbs, and the glass on these type of bulbs are colored/tinted to give an HID "look". I had similar bulbs (Silverstars) in my car before, then after they started to act up I went to a lighting comparison site similar to the above site mentioned. I read the information on the "blue" and similar bulbs, then read the info on better bulbs without the light-stealing colored glass.

I was under the impression that the bulbs you have were the blue colored ones, I was wrong, as is explained in excellent detail above. You learn something every day, eh? :)

LightingGuru
03-03-05, 10:21 PM
Glad to help out. I'm available to answer whatever questions might come up on the topic of vehicle lighting, but I don't frequently check this forum, so if you need an answer in a hurry, e-mail me. dastern "at" torque "dot" net .

kels
03-27-05, 01:18 AM
Once upon a time, a deputy stopped a car at 4am. This car had one burned out headlight. All four of the occupants had suspended drivers licenses. Three of the 4 had WARRANTS. #4 had drugs. Do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars, go directly to jail.

Usually a burned out headlight is a written warning, and down the road you go.
On the other hand, you wouldnt believe the amount of suspended DLs that get caught this way.

kimber
05-21-05, 10:01 PM
I got pulled over once for a burnt out headlight. Got a ticket. No questions asked. To beat it all off, I was taking my car to my parents house so my dad could fix it the next day! Didn't try to talk out of it though. After all, I knew the headlight was out, and I put myself and other's at risk by driving like that. I would have preffered a warning however, I didn't receive one. Nothing craps up a spotless record like a headlight violation.

Darin
05-21-05, 10:04 PM
I got pulled over once for a burnt out headlight. Got a ticket. No questions asked. To beat it all off, I was taking my car to my parents house so my dad could fix it the next day! Didn't try to talk out of it though. After all, I knew the headlight was out, and I put myself and other's at risk by driving like that. I would have preffered a warning however, I didn't receive one. Nothing craps up a spotless record like a headlight violation.
Should have went to court and showed the judge your receipt for the light and maybe a pic of the headlight in operation. Around here it would be ruled complied with law and you would have been good to go.

OntheCuspofRN
01-10-12, 01:18 PM
Hi, I live in TX. I received a ticket the other day (technically Sunday morning around 1 AM). I had nothing else outstanding and the last ticket I received was over two years ago. Point is, I received a "fix it" warning for a headlight and didn't use my car at all the rest of Sunday. Yesterday (Monday) afternoon I had a new job orientation and left home with the intention of buying a replacement headlight when I got out - and didn't expect that it'd be early evening by the time that happened. I got pulled over AGAIN, got cited AGAIN even though I explained I was on my way and showed him the previous ticket, he was very rude and even threatened that he could cite me again down the street "and the judge won't be too happy seeing multiple citations for the same thing". I then asked if he could at least make the court date the same as the other (which was only one day apart, his for the 6th and the other for the 7th) and he said no, that I'd have to show to both and "hope I don't get the same judge or else he'll be pretty mad". I remarked, "and so will I" to which he dismissed me and walked back to his car. After that, as planned, I got my headlight replaced and am all set with the picture and receipt, waiting for February. Can I ask, what the heck is going on here??

Citicop
01-10-12, 01:30 PM
Onthecusp-

Welcome to RP!

I am sure that someone can answer your question, but the appropriate thing to do is post a new thread with your topic or question in it.

This thread was last posted in nearly SEVEN years ago. We need to leave it to rest.

-Citicop.