Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : COs and off duty carry.

Norm357
11-23-04, 04:19 PM
There is an interesting thread here (http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=312384) dicussing COs and of duty carry. Here in Ga, a jailor, CO, or whatever your title may be can carry on creds. No CCW needed. What that other thread has shown me is a great deal of dislike for COs. Why is this? What are your state laws on this issue?

acreature
11-23-04, 04:21 PM
NC COs do not carry unless they are State DOC, and even those are few.

Must have CCW.

MOCOP
11-23-04, 04:24 PM
Not here Sworn LEO's only. Some states Ga and NJ for example certify their CO's as LEO's. More training etc. The majority of states don't attract stellar individuals as CO's low pay etc. The good ones they do get who want to be LEO"s get out quick.

sbrad
11-23-04, 04:24 PM
There is an interesting thread here (http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=312384) dicussing COs and of duty carry. Here in Ga, a jailor, CO, or whatever your title may be can carry on creds. No CCW needed. What that other thread has shown me is a great deal of dislike for COs. Why is this? What are your state laws on this issue?
Only if the misrepresent their position.

Norm357
11-23-04, 04:29 PM
Not here Sworn LEO's only. Some states Ga and NJ for example certify their CO's as LEO's.

In Ga, Jailors are not classified LEOs, but are covered under state law as being exempt from concealed weapons laws. Almost anyone who works for the local, county, state government is. My favorite, court clerks can carry on creds. :D

txinvestigator1
11-23-04, 04:29 PM
In Texas they can only carry while on duty

scott715us
11-23-04, 04:30 PM
As far as I know in TN, whether CO's can carry without a permit will depend on the department and/or county/city. Some sheriff's offices in the surrounding counties, their deputies are commissioned and can carry just as any LEO. In Nashville, the sheriff's department just does transport, courts, warrants, and corrections. They do not hold the same rights to carry except when serving warrants or transporting. It ultimately depends whether the CO's go through the POST academy. We also have a correctional academy in the state, but only through POST can you be commissioned. Exception being the academies for the large city depts (Nashville/Memphis/Knoxville, etc). ;)

GoDirectly2Jail
11-23-04, 04:46 PM
Virginia's kind of a funny on this. The PD & SO (enforcement) guys are certified as "Law Enforcement Officers" by DCJS. Deputies in the jail & regional jail officers are certified as "Jail Officers" by DCJS. Some of the training between the two overlaps, but the jail academy in generally shorter and less intense.

That said, there is NO Difference in the authority between certified "LEO"s and jail DEPUTIES. All may carry off-duty anywhere in Virginia. (exc. Federal buildings etc).

That leaves the regional jail officers. They are sworn as Conservators of the Peace and have full arrest powers ONLY within 1 mile of the jail or on transports/special details, etc. Up until this year, they could only carry concealed w/o a permit: to/from work and while on duty. HR 218 changed that because they meet all the requirements, so they may carry on their creds as well. They just don't have the broad authority that police officers and deputy sheriffs have.

FloridaLEO
11-23-04, 04:47 PM
Our county COs can carry per state statute but their agency's general orders say no.

Finder
11-23-04, 04:52 PM
Cook County, IL . Sworn Peace Officers. Carry 24/7

Norm357
11-23-04, 04:59 PM
Our county COs can carry per state statute but their agency's general orders say no.

Can an agency's policy overide state statute?

SeVere
11-23-04, 05:04 PM
Cook County, IL . Sworn Peace Officers. Carry 24/7

That is because the Sheriff of Cook County Deputizes County CO's.

If they were not Deputized, County CO's would only have to/from work carry per ILCS as "jailers". They are not exempt per ILCS like Peace Officers.

County Correctional officers are Peace Officers because of their Deputization but not per statute.

If the sheriff were to De-Deputize the entire CCDOC, there would be no off duty carry per statute and per ILCS would only be able to carry their weapons to and from work or while in the performance of duty.

HR 218 would change that of course. But pre HR-218 the authority to carry weapons came from being a deputy sheriff not from being a correctional officer.

txinvestigator1
11-23-04, 05:06 PM
Can an agency's policy overide state statute?

Yes. If the order is more restrictive of the law.

Norm357
11-23-04, 05:06 PM

Learn something new everyday I guess.

txinvestigator1
11-23-04, 05:10 PM
Learn something new everyday I guess.

In Texas we have a pretty liberal use of deadly force law. However, my agency severely restricted our use of deadly force way beyond state law.

Deputy757
11-23-04, 05:16 PM
Absolutely correct. Hard to believe, but there are some agencies in our state that don't allow their officers to carry concealed off duty. I don't know what their reasoning is except to say that it's severely flawed!

rdp
11-23-04, 07:36 PM
Our CO's are all commissioned and state certified (POST). They can carry just like any PO can.

They receive firearm's training in the academy, but policy requires them to take an additional class if they are to carry on duty.

lindat2957
11-25-04, 11:33 AM
In Ca. it verries...som deputies work the jails, they have been through an entire academy, they are permitted to cary....then you have CO's....they have an academy but it doesn't meet the same training standards per POST and therefore does not have the same powers as a LEO, therefore can't carry off duty.