Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : Traffice Ticket warnings??

chadwik
10-31-04, 03:48 PM
Hey guys, just wondering whats up with the "warnings" you can get (if your nice) for speeding or other violations. basically i was going 54 in a 35 (i have no idea why i was going this fast, i rarely speed) and i was pulled over by a state police officer. he was real nice to me (after i told him i was in the military) and only issued me a warning. does a warning show up on your driver record and if so for how long? is it permanent? THANKS!!

P.S. anyone from Voluisa county/daytona beach FL area?????

acreature
10-31-04, 03:52 PM
No, does not show up.

tpd_six
10-31-04, 03:53 PM
If it showed up on your driving record, it probably wouldn't be a warning, would it? Here, our warnings are entered into our local computer system, so officers are able to look and see if a person has been warned before, but that's as far as they go.

FloridaLEO
10-31-04, 04:36 PM
Here, our warnings are entered into our local computer system, so officers are able to look and see if a person has been warned before, but that's as far as they go.

Same exact procedure in my area as well.

Star
10-31-04, 04:41 PM
Hey guys, just wondering whats up with the "warnings" you can get (if your nice) for speeding or other violations. basically i was going 54 in a 35 (i have no idea why i was going this fast, i rarely speed) and i was pulled over by a state police officer. he was real nice to me (after i told him i was in the military) and only issued me a warning. does a warning show up on your driver record and if so for how long? is it permanent? THANKS!!

P.S. anyone from Voluisa county/daytona beach FL area?????

Damn, I would have at least made you step out of the car and give me 54! :p

Like everyone already said, in Florida, a warning is for LEO system reporting only.

samseed101
10-31-04, 05:39 PM
If it showed up on your driving record, it probably wouldn't be a warning, would it? Here, our warnings are entered into our local computer system, so officers are able to look and see if a person has been warned before, but that's as far as they go.

^^^^^
What he said

Charlie
10-31-04, 11:32 PM
Warnings don't show up on driving records that I am aware of...

One thing to keep in mind though, a sad reality unfortunately, I generally think the days of letting people off with a "verbal warning" and no ticket are becoming a thing of the past. Hence, cops are generally in a position to write out some kind of paper on you, (warning or not), because of the racial profiling issues. That's the way it is at our PD anyways, we generally don't have verbal warnings anymore on traffic stops. Got to fill out the paperwork to comply with the racial profiling law requirements. :(

So, the next time you get stopped and a cop drops some paper on you, warning or not, keep this in mind...
--
Charlie

mcsap
10-31-04, 11:42 PM
Warnings are a reality check. In my county, they are entered into a countywide computer system so if I as much as run your plates, it will not only show your owners info but the fact that this car was previously stopped for speeding and the date. But a warning does NOT show on a driving record.

dwf
11-01-04, 02:08 AM
If I issue a verbal warning there is no record of the stop other than in my radio history. A written warning is entered into the system and stays in the computer memory. In WA it is only accessible for a few years and then disappears into cyberspace somewhere.

Legoate
11-01-04, 06:08 AM
I give warnings all the time. Of course, you have to realize I'm a patrol officer, and not a traffic officer. You are less likely to get a warning from a traffic officer.
Of course, you are much more likely to get your car searched, arrested, then have your home searched if you get caught being a bad guy by a patrol officer. Traffic guys don't have time for that kind of follow up, but I've got all the time in the world.

corporal716
11-01-04, 06:26 AM
If I issue a verbal warning there is no record of the stop other than in my radio history. A written warning is entered into the system and stays in the computer memory. In WA it is only accessible for a few years and then disappears into cyberspace somewhere.

I've never seen a written warning in California.
I don't recall us having a system to enter them into. I alway just gave verbal warnings.

txinvestigator1
11-01-04, 08:33 AM
As Charlie said, warnings do not create a record. They do not affect your driving record and require no further action on your part, other than your voluntary compliance with the law.

acreature
11-01-04, 08:41 AM
Our written warnings for equipment vios allow 72 hours to correct the equipment. We never follow through, as it is more of a courtesy for you to mailthe warning ticket back with an Officer signature stating that the violation was corrected.

I don't write warnings anymore. It's all verbal from me. If I am going to "lay ink", if you will, it's going to be on a Uniform Citation.

chadwik
11-01-04, 04:44 PM
Thank you guys very much for the info.

yes, i was issued a written warning, and i was just trying to find out if it stayed on local system where other officers could see if i had already been stopped for speeding the same day or week, which you kindly answered. :)

i have to say i was fully prepared for a ticket and wouldn't have been pissed off if he would have gave it to me, after all i know i was wrong, and like i said i usually dont go that fast at all. i think it takes a "wake up call" as you mentioned before to keep people in line. i paid close attention to my speed and my driving all day today and yesterday as a result of being pulled over, i think i learned my lesson from this and will deffinitly pay closer attention to my speed. the area i was speeding in was about 30 miles from the nearest city, it was a very woody area with absolutly noone around. i was surprised to even see a stopped police car out there because the roads are only wide enough for 2 lane traffic.

thanks again guys!!!!!
P.S. do u guys usually let military members off the hook? most cops i know do.

retdetsgt
11-01-04, 05:16 PM
If my dept has blank written warnings laying around, I've never seen them.... With us it's either verbal or a ticket. If you get stopped by one of our traffic guys, it's gonna be a ticket, slam dunk. The patrol guys assigned to precincts are a lot more apt to just give you a verbal warning unless the transgression is pretty bad.

Gooch
11-01-04, 06:41 PM
We don't have written warnings here in Illinois. About the only way we know if someone got pulled over previously in the last ten days is that any agency that ran their plate or DL # will come up on the MDT inquiry along with the date/time. We still have to fill out a stop card even if they get a verbal.

scott715us
11-01-04, 06:45 PM
My PD doesn't have written warnings. I don't think the Metro PD does either. I think THP does.

Military guys I will sometimes give breaks. Depends on the circumstances, their attitude, etc. Those that I pull over and feel that they're "above the system" get a ticket. Also get some young PFC's from Fort Campbell acting like hardasses. They get tickets too.

I have utmost respect for military. Probably 60-70% of our dept are ex-military or reserves, but I'm not going to tolerate being belittled because they expect something out of everyone.;)

chadwik
11-01-04, 08:13 PM
i think you prolly have the wrong perspectice on military members.
very few may act the way you say but they have a very difficult job, being able get sent to war on an instant notice is stressful. having to be the best military in the world is hard and the military demands exceptional work from the people they employ. also the job brings "machoness" and a since of being a soldier and strong. so maybe there attitudes are understandable. to a certain extent i agree.

when i put the badge on i dont think ill ever give a military member a ticket unless there very disrespectfull, if they act upset about have to be fined thats understandable to me. also doctors, nurses, and other community services should be delt with differently do to there dedication and contribution to the community. unless they are disrespectfull, which most arent. many people in the military leave home to go to a hell hole in the earth were they are being shot at and bombed 24/7, some dont ever come home, leaving babies and new wives at home with noone left to support them. would you want that to happen to your family. it has happened to friends of mine. they are literally sent into hell to fight for us, the people back at home. personally i wouldn't ticket them.

Retired Trooper
11-01-04, 08:25 PM
It has nothing to do with what they put on the line. It has to do with the im better than you attitude. For what its worth I respect them but we are also in the middle of war zones and have all the risks you named above.

Charlie
11-01-04, 10:19 PM
chadwik--your point is well taken but I think I must agree with DC law in this issue as well. Judging from your post, you don't wear a badge. Believe it or not, I have met many "nice" people out there, who exhibited respect. Does this mean that they'd automatically get a free pass from me and get out of a ticket? No, I don't think so... And I have met many 'hooks' who we're also very nice and respectful too!

At any rate, I think most cops out there have the common sense and good judgment to know "when" an appropriate time is to cut someone a break, military personnel or not. Doctors, non-doctors, nurses, firemen, etc.

Personally, I have the utmost respect for people serving in our military. Many times, as you've noted, they're putting it on the line in sometimes the worst conditions imagineable. BUT, LEO's also put it on the line on a daily basis too and we have an obligation and duty to enforce the law. After all , we've taken an oath too much like our military counterparts.
--
Charlie

chadwik
11-02-04, 12:34 PM
:( sorry to see some of you feel that way against military people. regardless of age or attitude they are all heros. fighting in a hell zone. they dont get to come home to the wife and kids after work. as for me not wearing a badge, i will be very soon. i was simply stating my opinion that community services workers and other people who put everything on the line for us, maybe they deserve a little break once in while. im not sure where you guys are from but all of my friends (which are LEOs) in the daytona beach area feel similar to the way i do. they believe military are close friends, fighting for the same cause, and usually being pulled over results in an hour of just talking and bonding.

dont get the wrong impression of me here, i love cops and look forward to being one, i would never disrespect any of you.

thanks for the info on the warning!!!! :D
Chad