Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : Checking citizenship

09-22-02, 11:50 PM
Is there a way to check if someone is a citizen?

09-23-02, 09:53 AM
Yes, through Consumer Reports. I have noticed recently that many companys are using this service to check the backgrounds of people before hiring. The police are sure to have a similar fashion of checking. Also, all adult males have to register with selective service, if your not a citizen, you can't register, and you can't be a police officer.

I assumed you meant 'Do the police check' for hiring processes. If you meant 'Cops that stop me, do they check for citezeship?', thenm, in my experience, the answer is no. INS does however. But if I am wrong, someone will correct me. :)

10-01-02, 12:58 AM
The best way to check to see if someone is a citizen is to ask for a US passport or a birth certificate. A drivers license, SS card is not proof of citizenship. If you are hiring someone and suspect their claim to citizenship ask for those two items, or if the person is of foreign nationality, ask for their resident card. It is quite common for police to ask for citizenship in border states. If the person is not a citizen but holds a legal permanent resident card and has just turned 18, he/she has to register for selective service. Some police departments hire legal residents with the proviso that they obtain US citizenship within a year of being hired. Legal residents can serve in the armed forces and doing so can accelerate their application to become US citizens.


10-02-02, 12:29 AM
I have a question, but it has nothing to do with hiring. I stop someone up here in Oregon. They have only Mexican ID; is there a number I can call to verify their ID? Even if in Mexico, it would be nice to have some place to call if I need to check on some guy I've stopped.

10-02-02, 04:33 AM
Contact Border Patrol or local INS office specifically the office of Investigations. They have access to an INS database to see if the individual is here legally. Also ask the individual for his passport. If they are here legally, they should be able to produce it. Keep in mind that Mexicans may have what is known as a Visa Laser card in lieu of a passport issued by the Dept of State. Or if they are a resident, they should have a resident card on their person.


10-02-02, 12:51 PM
Well, I just want to check on weather they are who they say they are. So, I stop a guy and he has no paperwork with him, but he says he was born in, say, Michocan, and has a DL from there. I wonder if there is a way to run a records check through Fed. De Mex. to check that???

10-02-02, 01:09 PM
Not that I know of. I think your only option is to call the feds if you really want to know something. I am not aware of any agency off hand that has some sort of interfacing computer data base that allows officers to perform computer checks with Mexico.

In the field, I think all you can realisitically do is scrutinize the ID card you got. You know, look at the picture, look for alterations or anything that looks suspicious about the identification. If possible, get other forms of ID from the guy. Question him/her about their name and other information. If the guy has NO ID at all, I think all you can realistically do is the typical cop thing you would do with anyone else who has no ID. Obviously, if you bust the guy for something, this will give you a little more luxury of time to do some further in-depth checking. But if your in the field and don't really have anything significant on the person, what more do you really want to do?

In Texas, we got a ton of illegal Mexican nationals living here. Usually, when we arrest them for something, the jail in Dallas County staffs a couple of INS agents. The arrestee's information is typically routed to them before the subject is released.


10-04-02, 12:46 AM
There is no interface with Mexican Criminal database. I doubt they are computerized. INS and Customs has an interface with the Canadian criminal database.


11-02-02, 11:17 PM
If it is a vehicle stop I simply write them for no op 807.010. DMV does not recognize Mexican DL's when they apply for an Oregon one, so if DMV does not consider it a license, neither should I. Then make their day and tow the car!