Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

Predman
09-16-04, 06:13 PM
Would any department give me a chance at being a police officer at my age?

DWCO322
09-16-04, 06:35 PM
What state do you live in? Age requirements vary from department to department but im sure you still have a chance at something. Dont give up if its really what you want.

hitnrun
09-16-04, 07:47 PM
Sacramento County has no maximum age limit for hiring. The SO only mandates that you are able to pass the physicle ability test (PAT) and meet the criteria for the P.O.S.T. (Peace Officer Standards and Training) physical fitness standards.

mcsap
09-16-04, 08:09 PM
Not at all ! Your BIGGEST obstacle is passing the physical agility test. Assuming that your background is otherwise ok, an older rookie is typically a good recruit. If you aren't in shape, better get started. If you are ok, get better. If you are in good shape, stay that way.

We too have no maximum age limit.

Piggy
09-17-04, 01:17 AM
Do you have any prior experience in Law Enforcement or are you looking for a new career?

37 is not old. There was a guy that was 64 years old in my academy class. I didn't think he was over 50, but we all poked fun at him, calling him grandpa etc.

First time we went for our run, that SOB took off like a deer. He was in better shape than any of us.

mcsap
09-17-04, 01:58 AM
My academy class had a guy who was 37 as well. Be prepared to be called grandpa. :)

Rad Diver
09-17-04, 02:32 AM
My academy class had a fellow who was 62, he made it. In a lil'bit of pain but he made it neverless!

He is a fellow deputy now, and man can he throw a punch. He's an ex-golden gloves boxer from back in the day.

richjorg
09-17-04, 01:54 PM
A page from the Oxnard, CA PD website about an older recruit:

http://oxnardpd.org/recruiting/agelimit.htm

acreature
09-17-04, 01:59 PM
My basic class had a 57 yr old.... in 1996. But his only problem was with the physical aspect. Smartest guy, common sense wise, in the class.

Mike Romeo
09-17-04, 02:47 PM
A page from the Oxnard, CA PD website about an older recruit:

http://oxnardpd.org/recruiting/agelimit.htm

Rich, that was a pretty good read...thanks. I'm sure this guy is definitely the exception.

Wakaishu
09-18-04, 07:00 PM
Not at all ! Your BIGGEST obstacle is passing the physical agility test. Assuming that your background is otherwise ok, an older rookie is typically a good recruit. If you aren't in shape, better get started. If you are ok, get better. If you are in good shape, stay that way.

We too have no maximum age limit.

The same in Cincinnati as well, no max. age limit.

Good Luck,

Wifeofadeputy
09-18-04, 07:04 PM
*chuckles* Good news there... then 36 isnt too old either. Working on the getting in shape part before I even submit an app...then hoping VERY old BG stuff doesnt trip me up. Otherwise, I have the best support system in the world. Hubby.... who has been there done that, and is totally supportive of my trying.

CrAzYCrAcKeR911
09-28-04, 12:28 AM
I have a gentlemen in my academy who is I think 50 years old. He actually is are best cadet when it comes to PT. He can run the mile and a half in about 10 minutes. He also kicked everyones butt in sit ups and pushups. Just keep in shape and I think youll do fine.

Stump
10-01-04, 01:45 PM
Sorry - NYS age limit is 35 at time of appt.

mcsap
10-01-04, 01:55 PM

You don't want to work in that crappy state anyway ! ;)

Stump
10-01-04, 02:52 PM
Hey!!!! :( Lol

Kenpokev
10-22-04, 02:15 AM
I changed careers at age 45. Our department appreciates the life skills and communications abilities of us "old farts". I've stayed in pretty good shape and employ treachery at every opportunity :D

Life is too short to have a one chapter career.

Go for it!

retdetsgt
10-22-04, 05:06 PM
My old dept has no age limits. But what you might look at is the retirement at any job. You probably would like to retire before 60, so you might make sure you can do that and still get a decent pension.....

NyPd Sgt ALU
12-05-04, 09:35 AM

its weird every dept in NYS is 35 unless you have military but the NYSP its 30 i heard

Stump
12-06-04, 01:01 PM
Actually, NYSP is 29!!!

S43riff
12-06-04, 03:53 PM
I rather have a recruit with the life experience and maturity of a 37 y/o then a 21 year old thats in shape.

Old Trooper
12-06-04, 06:10 PM
NYSP is 29, but you can subtract military service up to 35!
This is my "3rd" career, and I was 52 when I started here. When I went through the P.O. training, I had to listen to the grandpa crap too, but when the running and PT started the jokes stopped!

greenlead
12-06-04, 07:06 PM
Our maximum swear-in age (pension laws) is 35. The minimum is 21.

cjcrew022000
12-06-04, 11:18 PM
Up here I heard the RCMP once hired a 55 year old. Most academy classes range from 20-40.

retdetsgt
12-08-04, 02:28 AM
We dropped the upper age limit years ago. The older you come on, the longer you have to work and will probably get less pension though.

We have a number of people who are retired military and are great cops. One guy is a retired command sgt major and loves just being a uniform cop. Has no desire to be a surpervisor or commander, just likes being a cop. We also have a couple of navy chiefs too that all came on about 40 or so.

Gooch
12-08-04, 02:33 AM
I came back at 36 and feel great. I still workout 3 or 4 times a week and I'm in better shape than a lot of the 25 year olds. I have much better balance after raising 3 kids, getting married and doing other jobs unrelated to law enforcement. It's worked out well.

retdetsgt
12-08-04, 12:41 PM
I came back at 36 and feel great. I still workout 3 or 4 times a week and I'm in better shape than a lot of the 25 year olds. I have much better balance after raising 3 kids, getting married and doing other jobs unrelated to law enforcement. It's worked out well.

Frankly, I prefer people with some real life experience over most of those who come on right out of school. Older people have more realistic expectations of the job. I've seen way too many young people come on thinking they're going to have some sort of impact on the world and see things in more of a black and white perspective. And then they burn out by the time they're 27 or 28 years old. And then they have an awful long time to "endure" the job until retirement.

My academy was about a 50/50 mix of college kids and older guys with military and other work experience. It was interesting to watch the various careers progress. There were exceptions, but most of the college guys really weren't all that good at the job. Most had never really had a real full time job and never really learned a good work ethic. When they were put out on their own, a lot thought it was like school. If they didn't have an "assignment" or call, they figured the time was theirs to screw off. I remember one guy who became a fraud detective and then quit and went to work for a bank. He was shocked to find out the bank demanded he account for all the time in his 8 hour day!

I don't mean this as an indictment of young cops and there are certainly a lot of exceptions. But my experience was that as a rule, people who came on later in life had more patience with folks who live in the lower stratas of our world.

I'd much prefer to work with a guy like Gooch than someone with their brand new CJ degree in hand and nothing else....

Gooch
12-08-04, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the complement RDS but unfortunately, I was one of those that had enough by the time I was 26 years old. The first department I worked in, the camaraderie just wasn't there and being a young, idealist, gung-ho Marine just didn't fit into the mix of laziness and corruption from the cops that I worked with. I might of handled it a little different being older and more mature.

GACOP
01-19-05, 10:18 PM
I am ready to get out of the airline bizz & become a cop in Cobb County Ga.
(I am 42) In good shape 6' 220 lbs,ex-Navy 8yrs......ya think I'll make it? :D

Group9
01-19-05, 11:42 PM
We have a guy with us whose parent agency is the state police and he was hired at 38 after twenty years in the military. He is still in pretty good shape in his forties now and that seems to be the key to being able to start LE work at a later age.

mcsap
01-20-05, 01:07 AM
I am ready to get out of the airline bizz & become a cop in Cobb County Ga.
(I am 42) In good shape 6' 220 lbs,ex-Navy 8yrs......ya think I'll make it? :D

Why not ? :)

A lifelong friend of mine ( now from Florida) who got EM into the Polce Explorers when we were 14 called and told me that he is applying to be a reserve deputy at age 44. He is in GOOD shape as well.

richcecil
01-25-05, 02:49 PM
I got out of the service when I was 38. Took some fancy selling but got back into LE in a local SO. From there I worked up to this current gig. Good luck, and do not give up.

NYPDAUXOFFICER
01-25-05, 03:01 PM
wHAT ARE YOU SAYING BY CRAPPY STATE ? I AM NEXT TO BE CALLED ON THE LIST AND WILL NEVER LEAVE . NYC IS THE BEST TO ME.

fancyglo
01-25-05, 06:55 PM
I don't think Arkansas has an age limit but if you are a certain age you must pass a bunch of medical things-that are normally required at other departments. My father was 56 when he decided to get back into LE. He is still doing good and he's still here at 65 years old.

friedom77
01-26-05, 05:23 PM
F!@# no! My old 1SG is 38 and can still out run, push, and sit up 99% of his company. He'll still be an animal at 58. Good luck.

JimCMR
06-12-05, 05:12 PM
As a former Police Commissioner from Illinois, I can tell you that will be out of luck in any city other than Chicago, and they may be changing. 37 is the max for a rookie, with experience there is some waiver of age.

Frogdiver
06-12-05, 10:46 PM
You don't want to work in that crappy state anyway ! ;)
OW! That stung. Why can't everyone just get along?:D

SPEtactical
06-13-05, 05:06 AM
Come to Florida. We do not have an age requirement.

TaylorMade18
07-22-05, 12:10 AM
The oldest guy in my academy is 42. After class, a group of about 10 or 12 of us get together and do a 1.5 to 3 mile run to stay in shape on our own. He consistently finishes first every time. He says he has to get home to his wife on time :)
Nonetheless, its proves to me that age is just a number. Go for it brother.....and best of luck

magna
08-11-05, 01:43 PM
My husband went back in his thirties. There were some departments that had age restrictions but he found one that did not and he is the happiest he has ever been since he went back to being an LEO. When the man is happy the whole family is happy. If it is your passion, GO FOR IT!

HunterX
08-13-05, 05:58 PM
I will be 41 next month and have been hired....will start the academy in a few weeks :eek:

WAMBAUGHREADER
08-14-05, 02:50 PM
In my academy class at Birmingham we had at least two men in their mid forties who did fine. Both were retired active duty army.

Mr.Melon
08-14-05, 08:28 PM
There are three guys in my class that are 36 or 37. One of the instructors mentioned that the oldest recruit to go through our academy was 54, which I thought was pretty impressive.

coprock12
02-08-06, 04:01 PM
I was hired in Washington state at the age of 38. I made it thru the academy, and have been with my department for 18 years. I agree, you will have to accept that you may be more like a father figure to the guys in your class, but if I can do it, trust me you can too. It is a simple matter of "really " wanting it. If you would like more information, contact me. My department is presently hiring, and has a history of hiring "mature" people. Good luck

NJLEO918
02-08-06, 04:27 PM
Would any department give me a chance at being a police officer at my age?

In New Jersey you wouldnt qualify for munincipal or state police. However all other LEO titles have an age limit of 45. (i.e. Sheriif, campus police, park ranger, and so fourth.

InTheEnd
02-09-06, 08:01 AM
wHAT ARE YOU SAYING BY CRAPPY STATE ? I AM NEXT TO BE CALLED ON THE LIST AND WILL NEVER LEAVE . NYC IS THE BEST TO ME.
Next on the list for nycpd? The pay stinks for new hires. God bless you. I'm looking to get out of the city when I retire.

MP_Steve
02-09-06, 05:08 PM
Next on the list for nycpd? The pay stinks for new hires. God bless you. I'm looking to get out of the city when I retire.

I'd like to work for NYPD, if it didn't involve moving to New York :rolleyes:

I'll probably end up down in the DC area, or where ever my endeavors take me :D

B'ham FAL
02-09-06, 07:34 PM
I'm 37 and in the 7th week of academy. Our oldest recruit is 51 and there's another in his 40's. So unless there's a state rule like mentioned above age isn't the limiting factor.

CPDlife4ME
02-14-06, 10:13 PM
Chicago PD takes applicants up to 40 years of age.