Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

Nexci
09-12-04, 09:21 PM
I was turning into my gated community and i get past the gate and this cop follows me in there which he only gets in because the gate is broken. and He pulls me over 1 block from my house. then apparently I was speeding like 5 miles back i was going 58 in a 45 and i did not recall this. I hardly ever speed and if I do there is a reason, I am 17 and new here so can someone help me out. Oh and also my community, so i have heard, does not allow cops to patrol the streets they are only allowed in for emergency reasons.

futurecop90
09-12-04, 09:23 PM
Can a cop pull you over on private property....? Im pretty sure they can ;)

sbrad
09-12-04, 09:26 PM
I was turning into my gated community and i get past the gate and this cop follows me in there which he only gets in because the gate is broken. and He pulls me over 1 block from my house. then apparently I was speeding like 5 miles back i was going 58 in a 45 and i did not recall this. I hardly ever speed and if I do there is a reason, I am 17 and new here so can someone help me out. Oh and also my community, so i have heard, does not allow cops to patrol the streets they are only allowed in for emergency reasons.
Yes he can write you a ticket on private property. Just as he could arrest you for ANY crime on private property. And it is probably that little rich kid smart *** additude that got you the ticket.
Have a nice day.

Piggy
09-12-04, 09:29 PM
But he wasn't wearing his hat either, is the ticket still good? :)

sbrad
09-12-04, 09:31 PM
Well, hell. He should have said so.
In that case no, he can't write you a ticket.

sbrad
09-12-04, 09:37 PM
And once I even took a kid's father to jail after he came out of the house and repeatedly interfered with my efforts to cite his son for Reckless Driving.

I remember that story. One of my all-time DC favorites!

darrell
09-12-04, 09:41 PM

So what would be a reason that you would speed? Let me guess your running late for work or school. Leave early and slow the hell down kid. They can drive through any community. You can't ban them from driving through your Rich People Only neighborhood. I doubt he followed you for 5 miles for a speeding violation, try a 1/2 mile or 5 blocks.

Don't get your panties in a bunch son, pay the ticket or just fight it in court.

Aggie
09-12-04, 10:59 PM
This question has nothing to do with the right to ticket the above individual.

Can police officers go onto private drives just to patrol, without any real cause and without consent of the owner or an appropriate agent?

Aggie
09-12-04, 11:13 PM
OK, thanks DC Law.

scott715us
09-12-04, 11:24 PM
Our airport is private property that obviously is open to the general public. I write tickets, run radar, traffic crash reports, anything and everything the other LEO's do on an everyday street. So the answer is...yessss, at least in TN. ;)

scott715us
09-12-04, 11:32 PM
I chase traffic violators into Reagan National airport on a daily basis. It seems like almost every car I try to stop S/B on the GW Parkway south of Roaches Run suddenly has business at the airport. I guess they figure that if they get onto airport property, I'm going to be stopped by some magic force-field or something. I just stop them and cite them same as anywhere else, usually with the airport cops as back-up because they always seem to have a unit lurking right by the entrance.

And it's always funny to watch these people who just claimed to be "late for a flight" drive right back out of the exit and onto the parkway again once they've gotten their tickets.

That's awesome. We like to back up our local metro PD units as well. I pulled over a TN Titan football player last night coming back from the Miami game. No, I didn't give him a ticket, but it amazes me how people's mindset changes when they enter the airport area. They all seem to haul *** for some reason. I love my new slicktop Impala. :D

mcsap
09-13-04, 01:16 AM
As long as the officer saw you commit a crime on a public road , you are fair game. And does this gated community of yours BAN the police from coming in ? Believe you me, if you had such a development, you would get ZERO patrol and we would ONLY answer calls for service.

When you get the PD, you get the good ( patrol) with the bad ( getting a ticket).

michiganstud
09-13-04, 02:42 AM

Absolutely not!!! You tell that officer to get the hell of'n yer property now!
Tell him you pay his salary, which is way too much.

If you can't get him to leave just run into your house and call the State Police! Obviously he doesn't know who he is messin with.

corporal716
09-13-04, 03:38 AM
He can not issue you a citation for speeding while on the privet property, but being that the infraction occured on a public highway he can pull onto the privet property to cite you. It comes under fresh pursuit.

Johninaustin
09-13-04, 11:13 AM
I LOVE this concept. People sort of think it's like reaching "Base" and I can't touch them. High entertainment value all around. Esp when they bring it up to the judge.:D

Mike Romeo
09-13-04, 11:23 AM

Oh, you must've forgot the "reason" why you were speeding this time? You should've told the officer that you only speed for a reason and that there was no reason to be speeding that day. I'm sure he/she would've replied with, "Sorry to bother you" and left to search for some real speeders. Remember that the next time you get pulled over.

Aggie
09-13-04, 05:16 PM
Here's a very interesting discussion on the Texas County Attorneys forum regarding arrest on private property.

http://tdcaa.infopop.net/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=347098965&f=157098965&m=448108792

darrell
09-13-04, 05:20 PM
Absolutely not!!! You tell that officer to get the hell of'n yer property now!
Tell him you pay his salary, which is way too much.

If you can't get him to leave just run into your house and call the State Police! Obviously he doesn't know who he is messin with.

Shhhhhhhhhh don't give out my secrets. :D

Nexci
09-13-04, 06:45 PM
Yes he can write you a ticket on private property. Just as he could arrest you for ANY crime on private property. And it is probably that little rich kid smart *** additude that got you the ticket.Have a nice day.

I don't have a rich kid smart *** attitude, i am not a spoiled rich kid just because I am more fortunate than others does not mean I should have more rights or be able to get out of something with a "rich kid attitude".

Oh, you must've forgot the "reason" why you were speeding this time? You should've told the officer that you only speed for a reason and that there was no reason to be speeding that day. I'm sure he/she would've replied with, "Sorry to bother you" and left to search for some real speeders. Remember that the next time you get pulled over.

I was trying to get home before curfew and I was almost there. this was at 1:21 AM when i was on my way home and i had to be home at 1:30 AM

michiganstud
09-13-04, 06:52 PM
I was trying to get home before curfew and I was almost there. this was at 1:21 AM when i was on my way home and i had to be home at 1:30 AM

If you know your curfew is 1:30 then you need to provide time to make it. You very much deserve this ticket. Pay it, and learn the lesson.

txinvestigator1
09-14-04, 02:22 AM
Here's a very interesting discussion on the Texas County Attorneys forum regarding arrest on private property.

http://tdcaa.infopop.net/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=347098965&f=157098965&m=448108792

Interesting but irrelevant to this thread.

Aggie
09-14-04, 02:58 AM
I wasn't claiming it was totally relevant. Consider it more of an offshoot to this topic.

goldstargirl
09-14-04, 06:28 AM
I was turning into my gated community and i get past the gate and this cop follows me in there which he only gets in because the gate is broken. and He pulls me over 1 block from my house. HA HA HA yeah, he doesn't have a code for your gate I am sure. Oh and haven't you heard that old saying that most accidents happen within 1 mile of your house? Same for tickets.

then apparently I was speeding like 5 miles back i was going 58 in a 45 and i did not recall this. :eek: must not have happened if you don't remember doing it. What did you have for lunch 5 days ago...don't remember? are you sure it happened?

I hardly ever speed and if I do there is a reason, And I bet there is a reason that you would get a ticket too. Are you serious?

I am 17 and new here so can someone help me out. they are called your parents.

Oh and also my community, so i have heard, does not allow cops to patrol the streets they are only allowed in for emergency reasons.
hummm, e plates,,,lights, siren, gun...I think if a cop wants in, the cop gets in. BUT hey if you guys don't want a cop to take a proactive approach to policing, then I am sure that a reactive approach is fine with him as well.

bpd35
09-15-04, 06:45 AM
Several traffic laws can be enforced in the state of Indiana on private property . OWI, Criminal recklessness , stuff like that but thats also criminal offenses. Traffic citation are not criminal they are civil.

HOWEVER like it has been said so many times before if i need to follow you into your house into your closet under your covers to give you a ticket for speeding or any other traffic offense that took place out on a publice street guess what ??? Your getting it .

I love it when people tell me to get off their property. I think its funny especially when they go to court with that statement and they just get looked at !!!!!! :D

mcsap
09-15-04, 06:50 AM
I followed a guy into his driveway, he pulled into his garage ( I had my lights on at night) I jumped out of my cruiser and ducked into his garage before the big door closed. He got a piece of stock in the Commonwealth.

This isn't baseball and you aren't safe if you slide into home.

Aggie
09-15-04, 07:10 PM
They had a whole segment on that on Wildest Police Videos.

txinvestigator1
09-15-04, 10:49 PM
We had a guy flee on foot near the waterfront. He jumped into the bay and claimed we could not arrest him in International Waters.

He just went to jail wet.

Aggie
09-16-04, 02:45 PM
A bay is not international waters. :D

In fact, I think almost all of the Gulf is American waters.

txinvestigator1
09-16-04, 03:38 PM
A bay is not international waters. :D

In fact, I think almost all of the Gulf is American waters.

He should have studied his marine maps a little better.

Lawson
09-16-04, 06:08 PM
We had a guy flee on foot near the waterfront. He jumped into the bay and claimed we could not arrest him in International Waters.

He just went to jail wet.

Hahaha! that is awesome. How did you guys get him out? I surely wouldnt want to go for a swim for this guy. :D

Last I heard, International Waters start at like so many MILES from the shore. But if this guy is right, Im going to live on the beach so if the cops come I'll just walk into the water and wait for them to go away. . . . . or call the Navy.

Puddle Pirate
09-16-04, 07:24 PM
Last I heard, International Waters start at like so many MILES from the shore. But if this guy is right, Im going to live on the beach so if the cops come I'll just walk into the water and wait for them to go away. . . . . or call the Navy.

Damn, We're being forgot and being replaced by the NAVY :eek:

INTL waters start at 12nm from the shoreline, so this guy had a lil ways to go.

Colonel
09-17-04, 02:12 AM
In GA there are 2 Traffic violation that can be enforced on private property. DUI's and believe it or not disabled/handicapped parking violations.

sbrad
09-17-04, 02:08 PM
In GA there are 2 Traffic violation that can be enforced on private property. DUI's and believe it or not disabled/handicapped parking violations.
Reckless Driving, Laying Drags.........

jurassic five 7
09-24-04, 01:12 AM
I don't have a rich kid smart *** attitude, i am not a spoiled rich kid just because I am more fortunate than others does not mean I should have more rights or be able to get out of something with a "rich kid attitude".

WOW reminds me of something that happened to a girl i know, her and her bf were late getting the girl home cause her curfew was coming up soon, well they were speeding, ran a stop sign, hade no seat belts, NO HEADLIGHTS! and hit a car and flipped and rolled, the girl eyes all messed up, ankle in pain, and the boy is in a hospital bed with a colapsed lung and soposally close to dieing.....also the other car was fine, but the boy got flown 40 feet from the car. THAT is one of the stupidest things ive ever heard about, i personally dont feel sorry for the kids at all.....just cause you were running late for your curfew doesnt mean you have the right to speed...even though my friend was a few nights ago, even though we didnt get caught, it wasnt save....atleast we hade our seatbelts on and headlights and not running lighrs...also this was at 8:50 pm too.....

pjk208
11-03-04, 12:39 PM
what if you buy a couple of acres of land...and then build a gated private road marked as such...and go excessive speeds there? could an officer pull over a car in a private road on private land....

acreature
11-03-04, 12:39 PM
Not in NC.... you'll need more than a couple of acres though, to get any speed.

But, if you violate law and drive onto private land, yo ars be mine ;)

pjk208
11-03-04, 12:44 PM
catch me if ya can, offisah!

acreature
11-03-04, 12:51 PM
Are you serious? Use the smilies if not.

Shagnwrx
11-03-04, 03:41 PM
Alabama just "Voted In" a law that now allows local municipalities to issue citations and the such (i.e. dead tags, illegally parked,...etc) inside gated communities. The funny thing is, I had no idea that power did not exist to begin with :eek:

scott715us
11-03-04, 05:56 PM
Airports are private property although open to the public. I run radar, write traffic cites/parking cites. No problem here. :D

LidaRose
11-04-04, 11:49 AM

HAHHAHAHAHAH! I have no idea where this came from, but I've seen it on other threads. Was there an original question asked about that? LOL

LR

Curious1
05-28-14, 07:10 PM
I'm not 100% sure on this but I've heard it for several years now. I think it's a grey area. If an officer pulls you over and you turn into a private residence or business than they can issue the ticket. If the officer turns his/hers lights on after you are already on the property I don't believe they have the right to issue the ticket unless they already have permission by the owner. My girlfriend was pulled over last night and the officer didn't turn his lights on until she was in our driveway which is a dirt road on private property. Please correct me if I'm wrong and if you can post a link to the actual state law for North Carolina if you can. Thank you..

Curious1
05-28-14, 07:16 PM
It's my understanding that your department already has permission by the airport to issue citations right? Please read my reply on this thread if you can find it. I'd really like to know.

retdetsgt
05-28-14, 07:30 PM
Wow, 10 year old thread..... I don't know about NC, but in Oregon police can issue citations for certain offences such as DUI and other major ones. With the exception of handicapped parking, we can't with or without owner permission on minor stuff such as running a stop sign on a private lot. As far as afterwards, I've issued a lot of citations to people who made it to their own driveway. It's silly to think you can escape getting a ticket by making it to a parking lot before you stop.

Citicop
05-28-14, 07:39 PM
I'm not 100% sure on this but I've heard it for several years now. I think it's a grey area. If an officer pulls you over and you turn into a private residence or business than they can issue the ticket. If the officer turns his/hers lights on after you are already on the property I don't believe they have the right to issue the ticket unless they already have permission by the owner. My girlfriend was pulled over last night and the officer didn't turn his lights on until she was in our driveway which is a dirt road on private property. Please correct me if I'm wrong and if you can post a link to the actual state law for North Carolina if you can. Thank you..

Consider yourself corrected.

I have 6 months to issue a traffic ticket from the time that the violation was committed. Turning onto private property makes no difference at all- life is not a game of "tag" and there is no "base."

If you commit a traffic violation on a public street, you can be cited for that even if you make it onto private property before the officer activates his lights.

There is likely no law which specifically addresses this, which is why it is legal. If it were illegal, then there would be a law restricting the police from being able to do so. Feel free to ask the judge when you go to court if you don't believe me.

Unless you have a link to a specific law or judicial ruling which says otherwise.

And as RDS pointed out, this thread is 10 years old. Please leave old threads to rest in peace. If you have a topic you'd like to discuss that does not have a current thread open, then please just start a new thread on that topic.

-Citicop.