Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : Guns in your home

BlueRain
09-16-02, 11:00 AM
Any opinions on your spouse keeping their weapon(s) at home? I am still not used to having a weapon in the house, and even though it is kept in a safe, I can't seem to stop worrying about it.

hwpd
09-16-02, 02:19 PM
Hi!
I found an article that you might want to read. It is explains tactics on kids and guns.
Read all of this, it may helps you to talk to your kids(if you have any).

http://www.policemag.com/t_cipick.cfm?rank=87530

#1 tactic = KNOWLEDGE

BlueRain
09-16-02, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the link HWPD.

I don't have any kids (yet!) but I do have many young family members hanging around. Every bit of advice helps.

Greatly appreciated! :)

Island_Girl
09-16-02, 10:51 PM
Since the girls could speak, Batman has talked about gun safety. Fortunately, we have the double-whammy since I'm hyper-protective......I make him lock everything up and the girls aren't allowed to see, touch, smell, taste....etc...etc. He argues the point, but I see no reason why a weapon should be introduced to them. Period.

bhanson
09-17-02, 07:29 PM
The biggest danger from a gun is IGNORANCE. If you live with a police officcer it is critical that all children in the home be taught firearms safety based on their ages.

Those under 10 should be taught to never touch a firearm, leave and get an adult.

From 10 up they should be taught some basics about firearms and how to safely handle them.

I was raised in a home with unsecured firearms (in a locked gun cabinet where I knew where the key was located). I never violated the training I was given in firearms safety.

The vast majority of gun owners I know teach their children firearms safety and handling as soon as they are old enough to understand.

Curiosity and learning about guns from TV and the movies creates more danger than true knowledge and safe handling rules.

Island_Girl
09-17-02, 10:20 PM
Batman shares your view Hanson.....wish I did. He grew up with guns in his life (hunting and range shooting etc.). Me? Well, the first gun I saw was his!

tarra
09-18-02, 11:51 PM
My 13 year old and 9 year old have both shot and been taught to respect guns. T he best thing is they both have seen what a gun can do!!! And that it isn't a toy.
I live in a small town where my husband has arrested many people, And i wouldn't be with out one. I can't tell you the number of people who have said they will find and kill our family because they got arrested.
i agree with with knowing is the best thing about guns being safe.
tarra

tarra
09-18-02, 11:55 PM
Sorry< I should have said my kids never saw a gun until my husband became a officer. My thirteen year old is reading this and said ( We know never to touch that gun unless were at the range).
tarra

BlueRain
09-20-02, 11:19 AM
Everyone seems to have different views on gun safelty and
whether or not to introduce the gun to the kids or not.

I also didn't grow up around guns. I was never allowed to play with toy guns and I didn't see a real one until my fiance brought his home. I have young family members who are over constantly and when they ask where he keeps his gun, I tell them at work.

The thought of them knowing it is in the house terrifies me.

txinvestigator1
09-20-02, 12:06 PM
Curisoty killed the cat.

My six year old daughter has been to the range with me where I shot water jugs and watermelons.

Her attitude towards guns has really changed since she heard the bang, felt the concussion, and saw the destruction.

She also is not allowed to play vidoe games or watch TV with simulated violence. SHe knows that people don't get up once shot, that it is permanent.

My Brother-in-law has taken his six year boy old hunting. The boy now knows the realities of death and how guns kill. He also shows respect and maturity towards guns.

If you don't prepare you kids for danger they won't know how to react. We have abduction drills with my kid, fire drills at 3 AM, peer pressure drills (for drugs, etc) etc.

"Chance favors the prepared mind", Under Siege II

bhanson
09-20-02, 07:22 PM
[i]I I have young family members who are over constantly and when they ask where he keeps his gun, I tell them at work.

The thought of them knowing it is in the house terrifies me. [/B]

Firearms should never terrify anyone. They are just a piece of metal like any other TOOL. You treat them with respect and learn the proper use and safe handling.

Now, being a nasty, suspicious person after 30+ years as a cop, when ANYONE asks about where I keep my guns I -
1) don't tell them
2) start watching them MUCH closer when they are in my home
3) begin quietly checking for more information about them

Remember, opinions are plentiful, you listen then evaluate and make the best choice you can live with in your family. :)

Island_Girl
09-23-02, 09:27 AM
TX ~ It's nice to see that other parents are as vigilant about their children's safety as I am. We discuss drugs, smoking, peer-pressure with the children all the time. We talk about what to do if they are lost in a store or ever get separated from us. We have fire drills and discuss what they are to do if a nice old man comes up and says that he lost his "puppy" etc. etc. Not to sound like a cheesy housewife, but I saw an episode of Oprah where she went to a park where there was a few kids and their parents there. She proceeded to interview the parents on how well they thought their kids would respond to someone coming up and asking their child for help and luring them away. Most of the parents felt confident that their child wouldn't help or follow them.....they did. In fact, the way they had the camera positioned, Oprah was interviewing and the camera actually picked up in it's view the child being lured away by the crew member portraying the stranger. The lady was able to turn around and see her little girl being walked away from the park. She just put her face in her hands and cried......the fact of the matter is that many parents THINK they are doing enough. The reality is .....they aren't. Great job for getting involved TX!! I commend you. This has prompted me to post in this regards...

Solego
10-10-02, 10:28 PM
I keep one of my guns under my front door mat just in case I get locked out.:D

txinvestigator1
10-10-02, 11:11 PM
LMAO @ Sloego:D

Tessone
11-10-02, 06:42 PM
I want to second what was said about talking to your kids, and especially giving them hands-on experience with firearms. I'm really glad I had the kind of parents I did, because even if I didn't like all the talks about drugs and sex, the time spent in hunter's ed classes, etc., my outlook on life is much better than people I grew up with who did not get those necessary, but very uncomfortable talks. This is exactly the way my fiancee and I plan on raising our kids.

LadyV
11-10-02, 07:55 PM
LMAO at Solego, too.:D

As far as guns, when I was married, we always had 2 handguns in the house. My son was very young, so it was relatively easy to keep them out of his hands. I was never uncomfortable.

I've been wanting to get a handgun for sometime now (I got the car in the divorce, hubby got the guns!), but since my son is now 17, I am going to wait until he is gone from the house. It's not him I worry about - he is well versed in firearm safety and respects all weapons (except the paper wad shooter that got him a detention at school :rolleyes: ). He was also a hunter, both bow and rifle (no longer interested).

I worry about who might be in the house here when I'm not home. Being a single parent, it's difficult to "police" my home when I'm away, although I do come home at unexpected times, just to see what's going on. I know my son's closest friends, but high school produces a whole group of "friends" and any of them are apt to be in my home, even if only for a few moments, when I'm not here. I trust no one implicitly, especially teenagers who many times feel they are immortal.

I've gone this long without one in the house, so a few more years won't hurt. :cool:

tcsd1236
11-11-02, 07:59 AM
My primary agency issues a handgun safe for the handgun.

My part time agency issues every officer a trigger lock.

After my wife asked me to buy something to secure my (fairly small) collection, I went with the Rifle Locker:

http://www.gunlocker.com/

Very usuable and stays out of the way for those of you with not-much-room for a standard safe

mjhdt07
05-18-04, 04:35 PM
They should be made to respect and understand, although not to touch, etc. Always leave locked up 9 and those little boxes aren't enough).

warlock
05-18-04, 05:10 PM
Believe 100% in guns in the house.

If I have some guy trying to break into my house, or worse is already in the house walking up the stairs in the middle of the night, you better be sure I'm not sitting around for the cops in the hope they get there in time.

A couple rules:

1. If your single, and no kids(as I am), then I keep my hangun loaded and unlocked in my desk drawer.

2. If there is anyone other than you sharing the same space, expect them to do something stupid. Lock up your guns.

Guns should be secure at all times around other ppl besides yourself. This doesn't mean that you put them all in a gunsafe in the basement of your house. This won't be helpful if you need access to one quickly. Be practical, and use common-sense based on the situation.

Jynkxxie
05-18-04, 10:53 PM
Damn this thread is almost 2 years old!

Dayna36
05-19-04, 12:52 AM
Damn newbies :D

SnowLeopard
05-28-04, 06:05 AM
This is a repeat posting from "Where do you keep your gun":
---------------------------------------------------------
Like Norm357, where it actually is from operation to operation is classified, just for me it's under the Tactical Considerations Act.

But one thing is that since in my life I can't carry all the time, that there are certain operating rules, the gun's load status changes from day to day. I find this is healthy since one always knows what the status is, there is not a possibility that one forgot they were carrying it or worse, forgot what the status was.

If the gun is not in stage 5, arms vault, then it has been through safety procedures in the last 24 hours.

Now, on a second point. I do not have children. My apartment is not made for children. There is the question of firearms, definetly. There is the point about ammo for while it is easy to store guns in the arms vault, I lack the capacity to vault all ammo. There is the question of my diving equipment which includes compressed air cylinders and dive knives. Drugs (vitamins for me, stuff from the vet for the cat), alcohol, and chemicals (cleaning, maintainance, specimen preservatives, specimens, etc.). And there is a point about my crime scene and forensic research materials (books, tapes, computer resources) since the pictures are quite graphic, often in color.

Certainly the issue of children and guns being in the same place is the most pressing attention getter......but in this line of work, one must keep in mind the other things that could harm children.
----------------------------------------------------
(Amanda Block opens, at home, Detective Block's folder of the murder crime scene and is dismayed.--(stte), "Tightrope")

JBU2010
06-12-04, 07:34 PM
LOL! It may be old, but a rather interesting topic that most families that have a "someone" in LE have to deal with.

dep214
06-13-04, 04:40 PM
my dad was an officer for 40 years.he taught me about guns at a very young age.he took me out and helped me fire one. at a very young age it scared me to death. the kick and loudness seemed huge.it was only a 22 but it made me stay away from guns.i now have 14 of my own but they are in a locked vault.

fed_cop911
10-02-05, 11:43 AM
Knowledge is power in every way that you use it.

Jynkxxie
10-02-05, 11:47 AM
OMG! Talk about thread resurrection!

Switchback
10-02-05, 12:00 PM
OMG! Talk about thread resurrection!

Yeah! No sh1t!

BTW, my yougin's handle my guns all the time. They are tought gun safety and all the rules needed to safely have guns int he home. There is no mystery and (most importantly), they know that they can come to me with their curiosities... otherwise, they would be looking to learn on their own.

Jynkxxie
10-02-05, 01:17 PM
BTW, my yougin's handle my guns all the time. They are tought gun safety and all the rules needed to safely have guns int he home. There is no mystery and (most importantly), they know that they can come to me with their curiosities... otherwise, they would be looking to learn on their own.

You just had to add this for good measure didn't you. :p

greenlead
10-02-05, 07:14 PM
Am I too old to be adopted? :D

Switchback
10-02-05, 09:10 PM
You can be an honarary yougin', Gren. :)

J has got no reason to complain.. she has played with all of them, too!

squeeeg
10-02-05, 10:25 PM
I don't have a family yet and I'm not even a LEO yet but I have started my collection of guns. My girlfriend and I have talked about the fact that there will be a gun in our house when/if we get married and she is ok but not thrilled with that fact. The only problem is that she absolutely refuses to even learn how to handle my guns. I don't care if she enjoys guns as much as me or not I just would like her to be safe and at least feel comfortable with them. I guess my question is what is an easy way to intoduce her to shooting safety

chewy
10-02-05, 10:28 PM
I got my first gun as a xmas gift when I was 6y/o. I've been around them my whole life and never once had a problem. It's all about what you teach the kids. If you ignore it and try to pretend that the gun isn't there then your asking for trouble. Kids are just small people, they're not (normally) stupid, just talk to them.

mxwelch
10-02-05, 10:31 PM
I don't have a family yet and I'm not even a LEO yet but I have started my collection of guns. My girlfriend and I have talked about the fact that there will be a gun in our house when/if we get married and she is ok but not thrilled with that fact. The only problem is that she absolutely refuses to even learn how to handle my guns. I don't care if she enjoys guns as much as me or not I just would like her to be safe and at least feel comfortable with them. I guess my question is what is an easy way to intoduce her to shooting safety
She'll come around. My wife was like that when we first were married. After a while she realized that it was a tool and a hobby. I explained to her that it really was fun and it could be a lifesaver, (we live in the country and I work nights). I ended up buying her a handgun and she learned how to use it.

Lost Texan
10-02-05, 10:43 PM
Prior to working for the fed, I owned a gunshop for quite a few years. My kids grew up in the shop and helped me put guns in the safes at night. My wife never touched a firearm until she met me. She is a good shot now. The best advice I can give you is to take away the mystique. Learn how to handle the firearms safely and fire the guns. Once the mystery is gone, you won't have little ones sneaking around to touch the gun. If they know and you know how to use the firearms, everyone is safer and the firearms become just another tool.

Best of luck,

LT

squeeeg
10-02-05, 10:44 PM
I hope so. This is kindof backwards but I am worried about her safety with the guns being in the house but there is still time. I have about 2 years left in school before I even seriously think about getting married.

Johninaustin
10-03-05, 12:04 PM
Batman shares your view Hanson.....wish I did. He grew up with guns in his life (hunting and range shooting etc.). Me? Well, the first gun I saw was his!

You'd go catatonic in my house the second you walked in the door. There is a shotgun mounted above the door frame. ;)

Billiardnut
11-14-05, 05:04 AM
I've got a 6 yr old daughter - hopefully my wife and I will have a second kid someday. I strongly believe if there are going to be guns in the house you must educate your kids on what they are for. That is part of being a parent and a responsible gun owner.

I was taught and shown the proper way to RESPECT a gun.
1] always treat a gun like it is loaded, 2] never point a gun at something you dont want to distroy, 3] know where the muzzle is at all times, 4] never put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot.
I will teach my kid(s) the exact same rules of thumb.

My wife and I have taken our daughter shooting with us - she usually stays in truck and watches (we have an old pond on my property - own 84 acres). When cleaning my guns, I allow my girl to watch, I explain what I'm doing and what part of the gun does what. I explain gun safety to her and answer all her questions.

I dont want my daughter to be afraid of guns because there is nothing to be afraid of when handled correctly. As the daughter of a cop - guns are an everyday part of life. There is no reason why I should put more fear into my daughter by preaching how bad a gun is. When, someday that 'bad gun' could be the very item that saves her daddy's life.

I dont leave guns laying around - if a gun is out, its in my holster, on my side. Otherwise ALL my guns are kept in a metal gun cabinet or they are secured in a way they are not functional.

If you dont want to or your afraid to explain gun safety to your child then please do that child a favor and allow somebody to teach them.

cnw727
12-02-05, 11:51 PM
[I]I have an eight year old son and I am very worried about my husband bringing his gun home this month. My son has never played with toy guns. If he received a gun in a party bag, I would throw it away, or if his friends were playing with toys guns he was not allowed to play. Yes crazy over it I was/am ya think since I grew up around guns, even shot them I would be different. When I was about 22 a very close friend whom I considered an uncle was brutally shot and robbed in his gun store in New Rochelle. Since then I am afraid and vowed my children would never play with any type of a gun. I know it's silly because guns don't kill people do. I am just so scared. I know I have to explain and show my son the gun and let him hold it, I just don't know how to go about the whole talk thing with him Any suggestions how to handle this please let me know. I want to teach him the right things and I'm not sure I myself know that... I don't want to instill any fear in my son he is a worry wort already. (8 yrs old and he has an ulcer) He stresses over eveything. He is already worried about his dad being a cop. Please help... Thanks

squeeeg
12-03-05, 03:32 PM
You need to introduce your son to guns. If he has no experience with them he will be curious. 8 years old isn't too young to start shooting(supervised) with a BB gun or something along those lines. He just needs to understand that they aren't toys and he cannot for any reason play with guns. Also keep any guns in the house locked up, unloaded and out of reach of your son.

kels
12-03-05, 05:12 PM
My kids were always allowed to look at my guns when they were little,
WHEN I WAS PRESENT. (for the most part they could care less about
them now)15 and 12 now.
My guns were stored in secured condition. Only one other gun was kept loaded in the house besides my duty weapon. It is my wifes Beretta 92
with a 20 round MecGar magazine.
Someone tried to break into our house one night when we first got married.
He knew I was a cop and was still ready to break into my house.
I was gone working on the road and the local police made good time to our residence. Right after that she shot her first firearm.
If you are a spouse of a LEO, you had better prepare to take care of your family. This includes learning to shoot a gun. If your state has CCW, you need to get one. Believe me, you are a target. At one point where I am now, the meth cookers were running survalience on our residences while they were stealing anhydrous ammonia at night. (we go in at 2 am and they want to make sure we were home. One of the city guys caught on and we fixed that little problem.)
Be safe.

chris2001
12-03-05, 06:30 PM
[I]I have an eight year old son and I am very worried about my husband bringing his gun home this month. My son has never played with toy guns. If he received a gun in a party bag, I would throw it away, or if his friends were playing with toys guns he was not allowed to play. Yes crazy over it I was/am ya think since I grew up around guns, even shot them I would be different. When I was about 22 a very close friend whom I considered an uncle was brutally shot and robbed in his gun store in New Rochelle. Since then I am afraid and vowed my children would never play with any type of a gun. I know it's silly because guns don't kill people do. I am just so scared. I know I have to explain and show my son the gun and let him hold it, I just don't know how to go about the whole talk thing with him Any suggestions how to handle this please let me know. I want to teach him the right things and I'm not sure I myself know that... I don't want to instill any fear in my son he is a worry wort already. (8 yrs old and he has an ulcer) He stresses over eveything. He is already worried about his dad being a cop. Please help... Thanks

You need to allow your son to learn what a gun is, unload the weapon with no ammo in the chamber or in the magazine. You show the boy what it is, how it works and what it can do. You also as the other have pointed out give them rules about guns. Your boy is 8 years old, he is old enough to understand that he does not touch a gun, unless he is with you or his father(mother). I do not have a family other than parents and such. But my family also knows where my weapons are at all times. I have even went as far as to tell them where I keep my back-up weapon when I am on duty. Why did I do this you ask? Well because of the shift I work sometimes I see my family, and some of my relatives have little kids. I want them to know where things are at. But at the same time I have also taken the time to show the kids in the family that are old enough to understand that they do not touch for any reason. I have taken them apart for them, as well as taken a few of the older ones to the range. This shows them the distruction of the weapon but it also shows them that they are safe. As someone pointed out guns do not kill people, people kill people. As the others have stated the number one rule is do not point a weapon at anything you do not intend to destroy (kill). Guns are not to be feared they are to be given respect.

Scruit
12-03-05, 06:44 PM
My son is 2, and he's not allowed to even see my guns. All are stored in a safe.

When he turns 6 I will take him to the range and let him shoot with me, maybe even buy him a little 22. If he ever wants to see the guns then I'll oblige. I want him to know that there is no reason to try and sneak behind my back and try to access them in an uncontroller manner.. I like the watermelon/waterjug demonstration of how dangerous guns can be if handled incorrectly.

He will be given all the safety/handling training that I got when I was 13 and first introduced to guns. having said that, he won't have uncontrolled access to any guns until much older.

SuperTrooper
12-03-05, 07:04 PM
As long as the guns have a trigger lock and locked in a case you will be fine. If you have children it would be smart to teach the children about the guns so they do not try to teach themselves and get hurt. I have two young children that know I have a gun in the house and know that it is not a toy. They know that the only time to handle it is when we are at the range and dad says it is o.k. The point that gets people in trouble is when people (kids) find the gun and wonder how it works...

JRA
12-15-05, 06:15 AM
I have a 6 year old son. He has handled my guns, with me present of course.
I have guns and always have. My guns are locked up at all times. I let my son see the guns whenever he asks to. He also goes to the range with me. Although I have not been verified yet, I am a leo and I work at night. My wife has a gun as well and she knows how to use it. I have taught and continue to teach my kids gun safety. If it is made taboo your kids will just be that much more curious about it. Take the mystery out of it.

endorphine44
01-13-06, 02:41 PM
Training for yourself and other household members is the best way to handle fear or unease of guns in your home. I would recommend an NRA basic pistol course.

jamez
04-06-06, 09:07 AM
My whole family is pro-gun but my mother in law is extremely weary when they are around. Her and her husband raised their kids, my wife and brother in law, to respect guns, but some people just cannot be taught. This was before trigger locks, life jackets or finger safes. My brother in law knew where dad kept his .380 and was able to get to it. He, as well as my wife, had been told NOT to touch guns unless dad was around. My bro n law loved the way the bullets cycled through the gun, would pull the slide back until the bullets were gone, reload and repeat. Finally the gun jammed, he turned the barrel facing himself to dislodge and one discharged making it's entrance above the right temple and exiting the top left portion of the skull. He recovered after spenting a long time in the hospital and rehab and went back to finish high school. Since then he's had an AD with his Colt .45 facing in the general direction of his father. another inch or two higher and we would've probably been at a funeral. He hasn't had a AD since then, but he still seem careless with weapons.

One occasion, recently, he was reloading his gun in our car and pulled the slide back to check if he had a round chambered. Not a problem except he was sitting behind the drivers seat and had the barrel facing the back of the driver who happened to be IN that seat. That driver happened to be my wife and I made it clear what was happening. On another occasion he had just gotten a .40 cal with a new laser and was pointing it around saying how much he liked it and how cool it was. He went to turn the laser off and just blew my mind in how he approached this. First off, he had speer gold dot rounds because he saw me getting those and thought they had to be a good self defense round. He puts the barrel of the gun against his stomoch with one hand and with the other, pushes the button to turn the laser off. Why he felt the need to turn the gun on himself to turn the laser off, I'll never understand.

We have a touch safe in our house because of our kids and because my kids go visit mom in law and bro n law lives with her, he has a touch safe and there's a larger safe for the long guns. If it wasn't for my mother in laws self conscienceness of guns, our children would not be going over there. What can you do about someone like this. Mom and sister refuse to let him feel free to play with guns around them, although sometimes he doesn't listen, but they won't MAKE him give up guns. I understand having your freedoms but this guy gives gun owners a bad name :mad:

jmac_52
04-06-06, 09:21 AM
Sounds to me like bro in law has a problem with the toys. How many close calls should you be allowed before you're not allowed to play anymore?:eek:

jamez
04-06-06, 09:37 AM
That's the same question I've posed to my wife and mother in law. I think the jury is still out on that one, although I hope the jury doesn't wait until someone else gets hurt due to another AD. :(

Figgy
04-06-06, 12:49 PM
Holy crap, it sounds like this guy has a death wish. I think if I ever shot myself in the head that would pretty well end my relationship with firearms.

elendur
04-07-06, 10:19 PM
Holy crap, it sounds like this guy has a death wish. I think if I ever shot myself in the head that would pretty well end my relationship with firearms.
Apparently it took out the part of his brain that involves common sense :rolleyes:

Skippy9821
04-07-06, 11:31 PM
That's the same question I've posed to my wife and mother in law. I think the jury is still out on that one, although I hope the jury doesn't wait until someone else gets hurt due to another AD. :(

They're not "AD's". They're "ND's"-Negligent Discharges

TX-LEO
01-01-07, 06:35 PM
... oops!