Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

Soundless
08-29-04, 09:19 PM
what is the penalty for stealing gas from a gas station fullservice tank?
a friend of mine is currently considering himself a "fugitive" and is nervous because he assisted his friend in stealing about $13 worth of gas. :eek:

Soundless
08-29-04, 09:28 PM
if the info is necessary he is currently at age 15 and in the state of NY

Switchback
08-29-04, 09:47 PM
Call me silly, but for $15, he should talk to his "co-conspirator" :D and go to the gas station to make good. He may or may not get off, but you will certainly fair better than getting a visit from the cops and THEN paying it back.

Soundless
08-29-04, 09:56 PM
heh heh heh, thats true, but the gas man had already came out and confronted my boy and his "co-conspirator" :D , i heard that as the two of them drove off the guy was ranting on about calling the cops.
wuts the fugitives chance of not gettin in trouble? :D

Switchback
08-29-04, 10:02 PM
Well, it depends if they got the boys' plate. They have really been cracking down on drive-offs around here. They really should just go back and make good on it. If nothing else, mail the money in anonymously, saying it is from the incident on _____date, etc. That would be better than nothing, but they should make good on it.

Soundless
08-29-04, 10:08 PM
Well, it depends if they got the boys' plate.

i highly doubt they did, but on the rare occasion that they are found, what penalty could the two be facing? jason has been a good friend of mine for ages, and my worry is i would hate to see him go down for something as blatant as this...

either way i might just mail in the few dollars myself in any case.

sbrad
08-29-04, 10:18 PM
a friend of mine is currently considering himself a "fugitive" and is nervous because he assisted his friend in stealing about $13 worth of gas. :eek:
I've made a call. Tell your friends to sit tight and someone will be ther to pick them up shortly.

Soundless
08-29-04, 10:18 PM
what are the chances of them being found without any solid information, perhaps without even a license plate, based only on description and what is the possible penalty they would face if caught?

that is my only remaining curiosity... :D

Soundless
08-29-04, 10:19 PM
lol

bisho1p
08-29-04, 10:54 PM
Pay the $15 bucks, or get your *** locked up. Here in VA, you can/will lose your license for stealing gas.

I went to get gas once, pumped the gas, and realized I left my cash at home! I talked to the manager and explained what happened, and cut a deal. I said, here is my name, address, phone number, license plate, driver's license number, etc...

I am going to run home, get the cash, and bring it back. If I am not back in 30 minutes, call the cops. He said okay. I came back in 10 minutes, paid him, no problems.

Norm357
08-29-04, 11:08 PM
Here in VA, you can/will lose your license for stealing gas.

Same in Ga.

txinvestigator1
08-29-04, 11:11 PM
Same in Ga.

Ditto Texas

Whitewolf1970
08-29-04, 11:23 PM
Here in CA, almost many of the gas stations have lock-up system until you pay the cost for the gas. I have seen one person trying to get the gas in the car until he realized he hafta pay first before fillin' her up. He pushed his car to the stall and walked away. His car was towed away because attendants were not that happy that he parked there without explaination. :D Glad to have that time of system better than the ol' fashioned gas filling machines. :D

Puddle Pirate
08-29-04, 11:44 PM
Ditto Texas

Same here

ACS Explorer
08-29-04, 11:53 PM

Shot 5 times with a M-16 or sent to Iraq to live with the Iraq POWs, here! LOL. I would just do the right thing and pay for the gas. They must have been desperate!

greenlead
08-30-04, 12:11 AM
Yep, you will lose your license in Indiana as well.

scott715us
08-30-04, 12:22 AM
Lose your license in TN too. It is theft of services under $500 which is a misdemeanor, but alot of states are taking drivers licenses to stop it from happening so much. $15 worth? That's pretty sad to take that much gas and risk a criminal record and loss of license. :rolleyes:

my58vw
08-30-04, 12:44 AM
WOuldn't that be petty theft...?

scott715us
08-30-04, 12:47 AM
WOuldn't that be petty theft...?

We don't use "petty" anymore. It is theft of services (like walking out restaurant without paying). A little bit different than theft of property because it is "consumable." The punishment/rating is the same though. Under $500 is misdemeanor. Over $500 E felony, $1,000-10,000 D felony, $10k-$60k C felony, over $60k B Felony..

At least that's the scale in TN. ;)

Mike Romeo
08-30-04, 10:33 AM
In Virginia, you WILL loose your license.....or so says the warning on practically ever gas pump in the state.

Soundless
08-30-04, 12:25 PM
any of you think there is jail time for the minors?

ngcsubutterbar
08-30-04, 12:29 PM
I've made a call. Tell your friends to sit tight and someone will be ther to pick them up shortly.

bwhaha.

LidaRose
08-30-04, 03:31 PM
In Virginia, you WILL loose your license.....or so says the warning on practically ever gas pump in the state.

Same in North Carolina. So don't be stupid.

LR

Soundless
08-30-04, 03:43 PM
sorry about the cross thread.
but my question still stands.
what is the penalty for a minor, who commited theft of services, first offense in the state of NY?

txinvestigator1
08-30-04, 04:12 PM
sorry about the cross thread.
but my question still stands.
what is the penalty for a minor, who commited theft of services, first offense in the state of NY?

Here ya go, knock yourself out

Click here for New York Penal Laws (http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/nycodes/c82.html)

dani24
08-30-04, 04:15 PM
In Maryland recently, tey made a woman who stole gas stand out in front of the gas station for three hours wearing a sign that said "I stole gas." The media was there and parents brought their kids down to see her. it was great, and she's been grousing to the papers that it was the most embassassing day of her life.

Oh--they also took her license away from her.

This is great! :D

Perhaps if criminals had to parade around in public, letting everyone know what they did, it might stop a few people from doing wrong to save themselves the embarassment.

Soundless
08-30-04, 04:16 PM
thank you txinvestigator1

txinvestigator1
08-30-04, 04:19 PM
thank you txinvestigator1

I live in Texas, and I have no idea how NY laws work. However the Google search took me less than 5 minutes. Google is your friend. Although we are here to help you, find the statute, then if need any clarification we can all give you our SWAGs regarding the statute.

coucousis
08-30-04, 04:52 PM
In Canada... If your caught stealing gas you lose your right to drive and you can only ride a horse for the next 5 years.... :eek:

Better think about it before stealing gas in Canada... ;)

Soundless
08-30-04, 05:10 PM
dammm a horse?
dats stinks. o and i found the official verdict :
Gas Theft in the state of NY under $100 :
Misdemeanor, punishable by maximum of 1yr in jail
up to a maximum $250 fine

-now the question is, whats your opinion on the chances of a slap on the wrist for the first time offender, or maybe a lowering of the misdemeanor to an infraction, or... a fine and thats all.

coucousis
08-30-04, 05:16 PM
Dont get me wrong here.... You can't fool the cops riding a horse either... We have RCMP as well!!! :D
Car or horse we always get our man!!!!:D

Aggie
08-30-04, 06:48 PM
DC LAW, wasn't that woman sipping on a Pepsi while wearing that sign?

supertrooper86
08-31-04, 01:13 AM
You can face up to 5yrs in prison and or $5000 fine and lose your license.
i work in a gas station and we just had a drive off tonight but the girl i was workin with didnt get the discription of the car or anything. My boss doesnt even want the money for the gas he will have the person arrested just to teach them a lesson. so to sum it up for ya don't send your buddy and his friend up to North Dakota ;)

supertrooper86
08-31-04, 01:15 AM
sorry its 1 or 2yrs in prison sorry i was typing too fast i guess but tell the guy its 5 just to make him sweat a lil more hehe :cool: