Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

crayolaman
08-29-04, 11:54 AM
just wondering, if you were court ordered to do community service for a traffic violation, such as driving with no insurance, and you paid the fine but did not complete the community service does that intail jail time? :(

darrell
08-29-04, 11:57 AM
just wondering, if you were court ordered to do community service for a traffic violation, such as driving with no insurance, and you paid the fine but did not complete the community service does that intail jail time? :(

I don't know what state your in but in Michigan you will be rearrested and charged with failing to comply with judgemet. This will piss off the court as they took a lot of time to set this up for you not to complete it.

crayolaman
08-29-04, 01:37 PM
im in colorado

crayolaman
08-29-04, 01:41 PM
and was never arrested in the first place, it was a first offense, never been arrested before. If i was to get pulled over in the future and that comes up will i go to jail for a long time?

darrell
08-29-04, 01:44 PM
I dunno I would wait for 121traffic to get on here and he will be able to help you.

Aggie
08-29-04, 02:03 PM
Why don't you call the judge? Usually for a traffic offense I doubt they would put you in jail for "a long time", but that's state dependent.

There was one case in Georgia where a woman got two days in jail and a $1200 fine because she brought her traffic case to court. The judge admonished her for wasting "the court's time".

darrell
08-29-04, 02:04 PM
Why don't you call the judge? Usually for a traffic offense I doubt they would put you in jail, but No Insurance could be different.

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh lol :D

mcsap
08-29-04, 05:05 PM
A traffic violation IS an arrest. You typically don't get cuffed and stuffed although we can do so. Community service results from an arrest, the charges may have been dropped and CS assigned but nobody gets into court ordered community service without getting arrested FIRST.

Failure to complete ALL of the terms of a CS agreement here results in going back to trial for what usually is a stiff punishment.

my58vw
08-29-04, 05:12 PM
Wow that would be an interesting choice, jail or community service...

I would do the community service in a second, infact you are helping the community and being in jail is not really a help to the community...

Bearcat06
08-29-04, 06:50 PM
In my Municipal Court, if you fail to complete your community service by the time-limits set by the Judge, he will toss you in jail for 48 hours unless and call it good unless you have mitigating circumstances....and usually there are none since he typically gives you about 2-3 months to do it all.
Last one we had had been given 3 months to do 40 hours and he didn't start. The defendant came to court and had no really good reason was as he couldn't get it done. Judge tossed him in jail for 48 hours and said he was to come back to court one final time and it should be good.
Hope that helps....and this comes from Missouri.

Whitewolf1970
08-29-04, 07:18 PM
Gosh, if you didn't do your community service as you promised, you will receive a surprise gift: jail time.

Depending on the jurisdiction of the courts, where you got a ticket and what court you went is the one you need to look up and see how many months in jail. But you need to talk to the judge and try to ask again for the community service again and STICK with it and don't forget to APOLOGY and THANK the judge after you receive a new order. Otherwise, you will serve your time in jail. So I dunno about your state's rules.

And make sure you count how many hours of community service you performed. But the judge may probably will add up some more hours because you failed to complete this. Not the judge's fault, not the court's fault, and not the officer's fault, it's your responsibility regarding the order that was given to you. You need to complete it. Go ahead and talk to the judge.

Joeyd6
08-29-04, 09:49 PM
In NY you will get hit with a contempt charger...and go before the judege to explain why you failed to comply with their order. From there it is up to the judge.

Tankus
08-29-04, 09:52 PM

Id be going quick smart and complete the community service!!....

sbrad
08-29-04, 10:20 PM
Why don't you call the judge? Usually for a traffic offense I doubt they would put you in jail for "a long time", but that's state dependent.

There was one case in Georgia where a woman got two days in jail and a $1200 fine because she brought her traffic case to court. The judge admonished her for wasting "the court's time".
Do you have a source for that? Never heard of it.