Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

Neobamboom
08-26-04, 07:47 PM
I'm trying to make a list of all the stuff I need to get for my POST application. One of the things that it asks for is all criminal arrest reports. I've mentioned in the past, when I was 13 I was arrested for shoplifting. I don't remember much about it, but I do remember that I needed to pay a fine, had to take a class and was told that my files would be sealed when I turned 18 (I'm now almost 24). Am I still required to get a copy of the report? I have no clue who the arresting department was. How would I be able to find out?

Also, it asks for a copy of my High School Diploma, can I just make a photocopy or is there some type of certified copy that I need to obtain? Same question with the Birth Certificate?

Thanks for all your help RP.

Joxer
08-27-04, 03:14 AM
You remember where (city) it happened, I assume? That narrows it down to either the city or county police agency. It's not too difficult to figure it out

Neobamboom
08-27-04, 12:34 PM
If I was to take a guess and called one of the departments, how would I ask them?

Joxer
08-27-04, 03:41 PM
"Hello, I'm calling to ask how to get a copy of a police report." :rolleyes:

Joeyd6
08-27-04, 06:39 PM
I agree with DC....it may be sealed to tehgeneral public...but not LE agencies. Since it was when you were 13 and your only incident...you should be fine. But don't hide it! Disclose it out in the open now.

Stump
08-31-04, 04:20 PM
I can tell you for sure that it will not disappear from sight even though it is a "sealed" record. I see many sealed records every day, and can guarantee that it will show up when the BI looks for it.
In addition, we require an embossed seal on birth certificates, and official transcripts from schools.

Neobamboom
08-31-04, 04:31 PM
I'm not too concerned about whether they'll find it or not, I just wasn't too sure if they would still need the documentation. I wasn't sure if the records would still be necessary if they had been sealed.

Stump, from what you're saying I would need to get an official copy of my birth certificate? Are the high school/college transcripts necessary? It wasn't mentioned, only the diploma.

Stump
08-31-04, 05:52 PM
Look at it this way, you can't be "Unarrested". Once you are arrested here, you are assigned a number, and that number is used the rest of your life. The questionnaire probably reads "List the number of times you were arrested", and not like the usual applications that just ask for felony convictions.
I would check with the area you are looking at, because different areas require different documentation. I know that here in NY we need embossed and official documents.

Neobamboom
09-21-04, 05:56 PM
Okay, so maybe you guys can help me out with this one more time. I have called everyone that I can think of and everyone that I have been referred to and no one has access to my records. I've spoken to the Sheriff's Dept., the Juvenile Courts, and the Archives Dept. BCI states that they don't have juvenile records. So now I feel like I'm stuck. I even had the lady from the Archives tell me to not even worry about telling them about it when I told her that I was trying to get them to apply for the Academy. If I have contacted everyone that I can and no one has access to my records, will I get in trouble if I state that on my application? I don't want to tell them that no one can access them and then have them magically pull up my records and tell me that I lied. Any advice?

Neobamboom
09-21-04, 05:59 PM
Thanks DC. That was a quick response. That really relieves some stress. You rock!

Drew27k9
09-21-04, 06:55 PM
I even had the lady from the Archives tell me to not even worry about telling them about it when I told her that I was trying to get them to apply for the Academy

What ever you do, don't listen to that lady...

txinvestigator1
09-21-04, 07:11 PM
I even had the lady from the Archives tell me to not even worry about telling them about it when I told her that I was trying to get them to apply for the Academy

What ever you do, don't listen to that lady...

Big Time

Neobamboom
09-21-04, 08:32 PM
If I have learned one thing about the testing process from you guys in the time that I've been on RP, it's to NEVER withhold information from the BI.

frisco
10-22-04, 07:49 PM
If your records are sealed they cannot access them, they do a rap sheet check and anything that is sealed will not come up on this, I was arrested as a juvinile but not convicted, this has caused me many problems, I have spoke to a labor attorney about this matter, you are not required to answer that question even when they ask it, however, if it is in the same county that you are looking for a job where you were arrested it may come up, so be careful, best thing to do is talk to an attorney, it will cost you a couple of bucks but is well worth it and will speed along your process-

txinvestigator1
10-22-04, 07:58 PM
If your records are sealed they cannot access them, they do a rap sheet check and anything that is sealed will not come up on this, I was arrested as a juvinile but not convicted, this has caused me many problems, I have spoke to a labor attorney about this matter, you are not required to answer that question even when they ask it, however, if it is in the same county that you are looking for a job where you were arrested it may come up, so be careful, best thing to do is talk to an attorney, it will cost you a couple of bucks but is well worth it and will speed along your process-

Wrong and bad advice. Sealed records CAN be accessed.

Stump
10-24-04, 10:03 AM
I'll agree with TX. I see "sealed" records every day. It WILL show up, even upon a simple search of your name.
This was extremely bad advice and completely wrong when it comes to LE applications.

mcsap
10-24-04, 05:34 PM
I have a LOT of "sealed" juvenile files available for access. The general public cant' get to them, and if they ask we won't even answer an inquiry about a juvy file. But if a LEO agency of ANY kind asks ( including the military) , we will tell.