Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : LASER calibration laws

jacknife37
08-23-04, 04:39 PM
I recently was cited for speeding on a Washington state highway. I looked up the information on the speed monitoring device used to clock me and it had not been calibrated in eight months. If anyone could help me figure out what the Washington state law is regarding this issue I would greatly appreciate it.

mcsap
08-23-04, 05:54 PM
Take a hearing on your cite. Demand to see the calibration info at your trial, if the officer can't produce the proper paperwork, you will likely get off.

Why don't you call the PD and ask THEM about this. They would know the answer.

scott715us
08-23-04, 06:37 PM
I'm not sure about the specifics, but I don't believe laser needs to be calibrated near as often as KA/K Band radars. I believe the agency does have to keep that info on file. ;)

P01IC3M4N
08-23-04, 10:19 PM
you never re-calibrate a laser. there are 4 tests that you run for LCD readout, scope alignment, and two for distance checks. if it fails any of these 4 tests, you send it in for repair. that's it.

sorry dude, but laser is nothing like radar.

NHTSA recommends calibration checks for radar every 6 months to a year, but that time frame is not required.

scott715us
08-23-04, 10:22 PM
you never re-calibrate a laser. there are 4 tests that you run for LCD readout, scope alignment, and two for distance checks. if it fails any of these 4 tests, you send it in for repair. that's it.

sorry dude, but laser is nothing like radar.

NHTSA recommends calibration checks for radar every 6 months to a year, but that time frame is not required.

Have to agree on that one. Love my Pro Laser II. Nothing like it and the judges laugh at you when you contest it. ;)

txinvestigator1
08-24-04, 12:58 AM
I looked up the information on the speed monitoring device used to clock me and it had not been calibrated in eight months.

Hello! How did you "look it up" and discover it was not calibrated in 8 months?

jacknife37
08-24-04, 03:53 PM
I went down to the station and asked for the calibration records for the device used by the officer, gave them a dime for the copy, and then walked away with the calibration report. Quite the simple procedure.

jacknife37
08-24-04, 03:56 PM
I was also wondering, and this could indeed be a very dumb question, if LASER is the name of the product, or if it actually indicates that it is a laser device. Would Washington State Patrol most likely be using K/Ka or Laser speed monitoring devices? Just a thought.

P01IC3M4N
08-24-04, 04:33 PM
I was also wondering, and this could indeed be a very dumb question, if LASER is the name of the product, or if it actually indicates that it is a laser device. Would Washington State Patrol most likely be using K/Ka or Laser speed monitoring devices? Just a thought.

i'd save yourself some time and just plead this one out. whatever internet site you're using to defend your case is going to wind up costing you a nice chunk of change and a hit on your driving record.