Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : Bench Warrant Q...

undefinededges
08-19-04, 05:27 PM
Hello- I'm a single mom living in Virginia. I have 3 other children that live with their father in Michigan. Long story short: I rec'd a letter from the Michigan freind of the court for a show cause hearing IN Michigan date being yesterday... (to attend court.) Since I did not/could not even with proper notice attend this court date 900 miles away, I'm sure they issued a bench warrant. I am $232.00 behind in child support. Ok- what can I do? Can they come and take me from Virginia..away from the child I am raising here? Take my bum to jail back in MI? If i'm driving here in VA and get pulled over... the police run my plate and see I have a bench warrant in Michigan.. am I in trouble here? (and yes I do plan on contacting the court to see what I can do to clear this up from this end but in the meantime it'd be nice to know if maybe I should not leave the dang house :( till this is cleared up.) I appreciate ANY help! Thank you!

acreature
08-19-04, 05:31 PM
Its all up to whether MI wants to extradite you back. For 232 dollars, I doubt it. You should pay your obligations and call MI to see what you need to do.

MOCOP
08-19-04, 05:38 PM
Just spit ballin here ya might want to contact the court,and pay your child support instead of wonderin if you have an outstanding warrant.

darrell
08-19-04, 06:10 PM
Hello- I'm a single mom living in Virginia. I have 3 other children that live with their father in Michigan. Long story short: I rec'd a letter from the Michigan freind of the court for a show cause hearing IN Michigan date being yesterday... (to attend court.) Since I did not/could not even with proper notice attend this court date 900 miles away, I'm sure they issued a bench warrant. I am $232.00 behind in child support. Ok- what can I do? Can they come and take me from Virginia..away from the child I am raising here? Take my bum to jail back in MI? If i'm driving here in VA and get pulled over... the police run my plate and see I have a bench warrant in Michigan.. am I in trouble here? (and yes I do plan on contacting the court to see what I can do to clear this up from this end but in the meantime it'd be nice to know if maybe I should not leave the dang house :( till this is cleared up.) I appreciate ANY help! Thank you!

No Michigan wont have you extrdited from Va for a misdameanor child support warrant. Child Support isn't a big deal in Michigan Courts as you can tell by Michigan havign the most delenquient non payers in the country. I would call the FOTC and set up payments with them the best you can. If you do come back then you will be picked up if they know your here, but that also depends on the county in which the warrant was issued in.

GoDirectly2Jail
08-19-04, 06:22 PM
NO they won't pick you up in Va for a misdameanor child support warrant. I assume by that statement that you mean extradition, because if the warrant shows up on a 29 in Virginia, you WILL be taken to jail until the original jurisdiction says "no" to extradition (for up to 10 days), at which time you will be released. If you get stopped for another violation down the road and the warrant is still on the books, the same thing will happen all over again. Take care of the warrant.

mcsap
08-19-04, 06:41 PM
I assume by that statement that you mean extradition, because if the warrant shows up on a 29 in Virginia, you WILL be taken to jail until the original jurisdiction says "no" to extradition (for up to 10 days), at which time you will be released. If you get stopped for another violation down the road and the warrant is still on the books, the same thing will happen all over again. Take care of the warrant.

NCIC hits have in the misc field what the pre-approved extradition is. For such an offense they will not likely extradite. Extradition is EXPENSIVE from 900 miles away. I can't imagine a PD going to all of the trouble to lock someone up without checking to see what the extradition limits are FIRST. I have already let people go who were NCIC hits but there was NOEX on the hit, NOTHING I could do but let them leave.

GoDirectly2Jail
08-19-04, 06:57 PM
NCIC hits have in the misc field what the pre-approved extradition is. For such an offense they will not likely extradite. Extradition is EXPENSIVE from 900 miles away. I can't imagine a PD going to all of the trouble to lock someone up without checking to see what the extradition limits are FIRST. I have already let people go who were NCIC hits but there was NOEX on the hit, NOTHING I could do but let them leave. True, Mcsap, but it depends on who keyed the entry. As many times as not, the Misc. field is blank, and so they come see me for a little stay. We get at least 10-15 intakes a month into our facility that way that end up being NOEX, so it happens on a regular basis. But I DO agree that she's probably safe that Michigan probably wouldn't extradite for this offense.

Still, the best way to avoid problems is to take care of it.

mcsap
08-19-04, 07:01 PM
As a matter of fact, we will determine at the road side stop or call location about extradition. We have MDC's and have the info right infront of us and with our dept supplied cells, it is quick and easy to check if the EX limits are not shown. All of the ones I have seen lately have the limitations.

Georgia is still the ONLY state that puts traffic tickets in NCIC !!!!!

darrell
08-19-04, 07:04 PM

Don't suprise me that they are 1 step behind the iceage. Rednecks I tell ya. :D

sbrad
08-19-04, 08:20 PM
Oh shuddup already. Let it drop. :p

mcsap
08-19-04, 08:35 PM
Uhhh, excuse me mam but you are wanted by the state of Georgia for a SEATBELT violation. We will have to cuff and stuff you and transport you to the county hotel until we determine extradition. :)

greenlead
08-20-04, 12:30 AM
I assume by that statement that you mean extradition, because if the warrant shows up on a 29 in Virginia, you WILL be taken to jail until the original jurisdiction says "no" to extradition (for up to 10 days), at which time you will be released. If you get stopped for another violation down the road and the warrant is still on the books, the same thing will happen all over again. Take care of the warrant.
You are crazy.

There is a reason officers have radios and MDTs. Officers ALWAYS confirm warrants/extradiction prior to arrest.

undefinededges
08-20-04, 08:43 AM
okkkkkkkk so basically here's what I get: confusion. My Michigan copper up there says don't worry bout it but take care of the warrant... (wich YES OFCOURSE I plan to do...) but then we got different officers from other states saying I could STILL be taken to jail and held there till Michigan says "uhmm it's only 200$ let her go and tell her to pay her damn child support." which can take up to 10 days.. So either way- I need not be driving till I pay this warrant off... which is what I originally thought to begin with. Did I mention my tags on my plate from Michigan are expired and have been since June 2003? I am so lucky I have not had a police officer behind me... SO LUCKY. Finally got MI to send me a new lisence thru the mail now working on tags. (va wants DNA to give u any kind of I.D here...) Ok thank you all for the answers- and I hope if I get pulled over by any VA BCH officer out there that u woulda happend to read this thread and go easy on me. haha~ oh and guys.. I DO PLAN on paying the support and the warrant off- I'm not a deadbeat mom... not running.. just got behind. That's life. Ok yall have a wonderful day.

undefinededges
08-20-04, 09:30 AM
Just spit ballin here ya might want to contact the court,and pay your child support instead of wonderin if you have an outstanding warrant.
Yeah.. Planned on that. Not running from my obligations. I just wondered what MIGHT happen if I did get pulled over being as I have a small child and am a single mom living in a state where I barely know a soul. :rolleyes:

GoDirectly2Jail
08-20-04, 10:48 AM
You are crazy.

There is a reason officers have radios and MDTs. Officers ALWAYS confirm warrants/extradiction prior to arrest. And YOU'RE crazy if you think that there aren't people with warrants from some po-dunk jurisdiction where everyone goes home at 5 PM and you CAN'T GET A HOLD OF ANYONE at 2 AM during your stop where NCIC is blank at to extradition.

I know it happens, because I've got someone in my pre-class unit right now in that situation.

MOCOP
08-20-04, 11:25 AM
Not every jurisdiction defines their extradition radius unfortunatly. I've had several that got hauled to the pokey while we waited for a yeh or ney from the issuing jurisdiction.

mcsap
08-20-04, 11:29 AM
It is RARE anymore for the EX limitations to not be included on the hit. If for some reason there is nothing listed, I will CALL before I go to all of the hassle to lock someone up. They do always include a phone number of the originating agency.

We have to process them, type out a complaint and an affidavit charging them with being a fugitive, arraign them in front of a judge and THEN they go to jail. Figure about 2 hrs total.