Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

JiNN_kAi
08-17-04, 04:16 PM
Another question I've always had:

Quite often when I'm driving late at night, I'll see highway patrol and other police vehicles parked (and evidently radaring traffic) with their parking lights on. To a driver who is paying attention to both their speedometer and the vehicles around them, they are very easy to spot. In places like the Happy Canyon exit down here on I-25, they're perpendicular to the road, and the parking lights are even more evident.

So, those of you running radar with a lit up car.. is this just a common courtesy to the drivers out there who are paying attention, since the doped-up kid doing 90 with a joint in his teeth wouldn't notice anyway? Or is it an actual law that a police vehicle running radar must be visible?

This is in Colorado, but I've seen it in other states.. California and Michigan at least..

Oldbillplod
08-17-04, 04:46 PM
Im my force if you are operating a handheld speedgun you have to be wearing a bright yellow florescent jacket.

dragonspider
08-17-04, 04:53 PM
I believe it is law, depending on state. I think the State of Ohio is required, whereas, the State of Michigan is not. It's probably law in Colorado.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

darrell
08-17-04, 05:05 PM
I believe it is law, depending on state. I think the State of Ohio is required, whereas, the State of Michigan is not. It's probably law in Colorado.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

You are correct about both. Michigan doesn't require the officer to be seen by the motorist in anyway. They will hide in the trees and behind the overpasses. In Ohio they must be visable at all times while running laser or radar. So at night that have to have their parking lights on and in the day they must sit in plain sight.

dep214
08-17-04, 05:06 PM
by the time you see those lights it is too late

acreature
08-17-04, 05:37 PM
Must have lights on to run RADAR?

St0000P1D Touchy Feely Tree Huggin Protect the Wrong Do-er Laws!

Dont hafta in NC.

ChainSa
08-17-04, 05:39 PM
Michigan doesn't require the officer to be seen by the motorist in anyway.

I'm not an Officer, but I believe it is the same way in Wisconsin.

SeVere
08-17-04, 05:53 PM
Departments always tell people that the purpose of Traffic Citations is to gain voluntary compliance and NOT revenue. Police Presence can do wonders for slowing people down. No need to hide, besides like they say, by the time you see them its too late anyhow.

We are not allowed to hide either.

soundwave
08-17-04, 06:02 PM
Where I am (Arizona) I think they have to be visible, but not overdoing it. I think it has something to do with entrapment. For instance, we have an arroyo (for those that don't know what that is, it's like a natural canal lol) that some of the deputies have hidden in. And, when I say hidden, I mean hidden -- you couldn't see them until you were parallel to them. The deputies that used to hide in there have been either transferred or fired for whatever reason stemming from it, so I assume entrapment.

But, from what I understand, as long as they *can* be seen, then they're OK. I've seen DPS be on the other side of a hill with their radar gun pointed directly at each car coming over it, but you can't argue that they were "hiding" because they were just there on the side of the highway. Personally, I think that the people that speed and all the criminals are the ones that get caught anyway. Just because you can't see them doesn't mean that they can't see you and that you just weren't looking good enough.

From what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong here) the radar guns can verify your speed within 1200 feet. A standard radar detector would go off at about 1500 ft. once acquiring the signal. Problem is, even with 300 ft. advanced notice, it doesn't mean squat when you're travelling at 65 mph+. lol

Cheers.

acreature
08-17-04, 06:07 PM
...but not overdoing it. I think it has something to do with entrapment......

Entrapment is making someone do something, and then hemming them up for it.

An officer sitting on the side of the road with lights off, or hiding behind a bush does not make speeders speed.

duh :D

dep214
08-17-04, 07:48 PM
acre-
ty. i was just fixing to say somethinlike that. notice the word assume was used.all leo's know what assuming does.it makes a ***/u/me/by assuming they are reading someones mind or telling the future.

samseed101
08-17-04, 08:21 PM
It is not required in Maine.

my58vw
08-17-04, 08:26 PM
The cops do not "hide" here in California, but sometimes they seem to not show all that much. One time I was driving along a local divided higway and a motor cops was sitting on one side of the road next to a bush. The only reason I saw hu was because the CHP officer was wearing a gold helmet.

Bearcat06
08-17-04, 09:58 PM
In Missouri we can hide/be without lights, etc......when we are running RADAR or LiDAR.

P01IC3M4N
08-17-04, 10:35 PM
in Texas, you must have parking lights on when on an improved shoulder unless you car is visible from 1,000 feet. i usually just pull off on the shoulder and leave my foot on the brake. it may give you a heads up, but most people are looking for CV tail lights, not mine. pretty easy pickings from doing that.

scott715us
08-17-04, 11:26 PM
It is not required in TN. I love to hide.. :)

mcsap
08-18-04, 12:17 AM
Departments always tell people that the purpose of Traffic Citations is to gain voluntary compliance and NOT revenue. Police Presence can do wonders for slowing people down. No need to hide, besides like they say, by the time you see them its too late anyhow.

We are not allowed to hide either.

I gain voluntary compliance by giving out tickets. We don't get ANY of the money from tickets. Half goes to the state and the other half goes to the municipality in which the ticket was written. Police presence ( usually) does wonders for slowing people down but within a couple of nanoseconds of us leaving, it is back to the races.

Not that I don't give warnings ( because I do) but a warning is forgotten in a day or two. Tickets are the "gift" that is remembered for a while anyway.

" You wanna play ? You gotta pay !! "

When was the last time someone held the gun to someones head to make them speed ? The operator is to be in control , including the amount of pressure applied by the right foot or the lack of pressure applied on the brake.

Edit to add, we can sit/hide anywhere marked or unmarked and don't need to leave any lights on. Speed at your own peril.

P01IC3M4N
08-18-04, 11:04 AM

if that was the case, one of my favorite tactics wouldn't produce the excellent results that it does. i drive on the highway, take an off-ramp, then jump back on at the next on-ramp. the cars that were driving the speed limit just behind me are now speeding in front of me.

when i give them a ticket, they won't forget about me the next time they pass through.

darrell
08-18-04, 11:48 AM
if that was the case, one of my favorite tactics wouldn't produce the excellent results that it does. i drive on the highway, take an off-ramp, then jump back on at the next on-ramp. the cars that were driving the speed limit just behind me are now speeding in front of me.

when i give them a ticket, they won't forget about me the next time they pass through.

One of our troops does that all the time in his slick top. He will write 10 tickets in a matter of 3 hours just ramp running as he calls it.

muskingumboy
08-19-04, 01:59 AM
I live in Ohio
Don't quote me on this, but I've asked several officers(no troopers though) about this subject. They have all claimed , no, they do not have to have the parking lights on. Its more of a safety idea, so people see them. They all claim it doesn't matter that the lights are on or off, people speed all the time. So if you see the lights, and you slow down, and you're not getting the red and blues, you're lucky.

Please don't take this as fact, I'm not a LEO, but several different officers have told me this.

Lfpdlieu302
08-19-04, 02:16 AM
It is not required in TN. I love to hide.. :)

same here in arkansas, i love hiding! i will however say that if you're runnning it real close to the interstate or highway, it may not be a bad idea. :) getting hit at 20 above the speed limit would suck.

greenlead
08-19-04, 02:19 AM
lol....a veteran officer told me of a time when he was doing radar and was hidden fairly well during c-shift. Well, for some reason he absolutely could not get any good ones. He couldn't figure out why, as he had killed the lights. About two hours later, another officer IMed him on the MDT and asked him if he'd gotten any. When he replied with a negative, the officer said.....

"Your brake lights are on!"
He'd forgotten to take his foot off the brake when he stopped. :D :D

Lfpdlieu302
08-19-04, 02:20 AM
lol....a veteral officer told me of a time when he was doing radar and was hidden fairly well during c-shift. Well, for some reason he absolutely could not get any good ones. He couldn't figure out why, as he had killed the lights. About two hours later, another officer IMed him on the MDT and asked him if he'd gotten any. When he replied with a negative, the officer said.....

"Your brake lights are on!"
He'd forgotten to take his foot off the brake when he stopped. :D

bwahahahahahahaha the bad thing is i've done this before myself!!! :D

MrMisterSU
08-19-04, 03:08 AM
I passed by a BCPD Cruiser running radar earlier this evening. He had a pretty good spot on the traffic coming opposite from my direction of travel. I noticed that (as I have seen in the past) the inner yellow parking lights were on. Although they seemed (as they also have in the past) much dimmer then a usuall car's parking lights. Who knows? :-)
I saw him hiding there from my line of sight - but the lights would of helped the traffic going to and from the inside of the T intersection where he was sitting to see him.