Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

ejohnson03
07-29-04, 07:24 AM
I have heard that there is a traffic law regarding Tree shaped Air fresheners being a Vision Obstruction. What is the actual text of this law? Is there a size or location restriction? Is law different between cities, counties or states?

Actually, I was recently ticketed for this violation. :eek: Not being aware of this law, and receiving a free air freshener from the local car wash, I had hung this item from my rear view mirror. This item is about 4 inches tall and half as wide. I drive a 1976 Chevy Impala, which has a windshield about the size of a common kitchen refrigerator appliance. This must certainly be less of an obstruction that all of that Radar, in-car video, radio communication, and laptop console found in today's Crown Vic patrol car.

Thanks in advance for your comments.

dittomonkey911
07-29-04, 07:44 AM
Not being aware of this law.

Ignorance of the law is not an excuse.

This must certainly be less of an obstruction that all of that Radar, in-car video, radio communication, and laptop console found in today's Crown Vic patrol car.

Here are a couple of examples of vision obstruction laws:

MN: 169.71 Windshield.

Subdivision 1. Prohibitions Generally. No person shall drive or operate any motor vehicle with a windshield cracked or discolored to an extent to limit or obstruct proper vision, or, except for Law Enforcement Vehicles, with any objects suspended between the driver and the windshield, other than sun visors and rear vision mirrors, or with any sign, poster, or other nontransparent material upon the front windshield, sidewings, side or rear windows of such vehicle, other than a certificate or other paper required to be so displayed by law, or authorized by the State Director of the Division of Emergency Management, or the Commissioner of Public Safety.

WI: Trans 305.34

(6) Nothing may be placed or suspended in or on the vehicle or windshield
so as to obstruct the driver's clear vision through the windshield.
There may not be any posters, stickers or other nontransparent
material, other than a certificate or sticker issued by order of a
governmental agency, located on the windshield or located between the
driver and the windshield. This subsection does not prohibit the
following:

(a) Attachment of an inside rearview mirror in accordance with
s.Trans305.26 .

(b) Windshields tinted by the manufacturer of the glazing and installed
as part of the original manufacturing process.

(c) Application of window tinting film or other nontransparent
material to the inside of the windshield if it is attached only
to that portion of the windshield which is both outside the critical
area and above the horizontal line delineated by the mark "A"
or "A." If no such mark was affixed to the windshield by its
manufacturer, no window tinting film may be attached to the
windshield.

But really, Go to court and offer as your defense that you think your ticket should be dismissed because the Officer had more of an obstruction than you. You should get quite far with that. ;)

ejohnson03
07-29-04, 08:03 AM
Thanks a lot for that information, it will be very helpful.
Matt. 7:1-3

Oldbillplod
07-29-04, 12:56 PM
I dont know about the states but in the UK once a car is three years old it has to have a yearly safety check which it has to pass.
Having something obscuring the windscreen can make you fail the test

samseed101
07-29-04, 01:02 PM
In Maine, having anything at all hanging from your mirror = obstructed view.

GoDirectly2Jail
07-29-04, 01:31 PM
§ 46.2-1054. Suspension of objects or alteration of vehicle so as to obstruct driver's view.

It shall be unlawful for any person to drive a motor vehicle on a highway in the Commonwealth with any object or objects, other than a rear view mirror, sun visor, or other equipment of the motor vehicle approved by the Superintendent, suspended from any part of the motor vehicle in such a manner as to obstruct the driver's clear view of the highway through the windshield, the front side windows, or the rear window, or to alter a passenger-carrying vehicle in such a manner as to obstruct the driver's view through the windshield. However, this section shall not apply (i) when the driver's clear view of the highway through the rear window is obstructed if such motor vehicle is equipped with a mirror on each side, so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway for at least 200 feet to the rear of such vehicle, (ii) to safety devices installed on the windshields of vehicles owned by private waste haulers or local governments and used to transport solid waste, or (iii) to bicycle racks installed on the front of any bus operated by any city, county, transit authority, or transit or transportation district.

Hope that helps.

goldstargirl
07-29-04, 02:37 PM

Same in California...

Metallic4
07-29-04, 02:59 PM
Having anything hanging from your rearview here is fair game for a PC stop. Having large dice or a CD hanging is a good way to get stopped.

MYSTICGAL
07-29-04, 04:01 PM
Wow. I didn't know this. Thank you for the heads up.
I have a very small humming bird air freshener about the size of 2 1/2 inches wide and 2 inches tall hanging from my rear view mirror and my hadi-cap placard. Many of a police officer have pasted me, been next to me at a stop sign or red light or behind me. I know they must have sean this but so far no one has stopped me for it.

Thank you for the info about this, I will make sure I remove mine ASAP. I would not want to be stopped for this.

Also, as I read the discriptions of these offences, I wondered if it applied to the rear window as well? I have a bumper sticker in my rear window (because I didn't want to put it on my bumper and be able to put it on other cars that say " A DRUNK DRIVER INJURED ME AND I AM MADD" many officers have sean this and even commented about it to me and told me how very sorry they are about what happened, then they proseed to ask "what happened"...non of them have ever mentioned that this might be a violation, so I am wondering if it is and they are just being nice to me and not telling?

What is the laws about this? I live in PA and the car I drive is a volvo station wagon so the rear window is big....

Thank you all so very much for any answers you can give me.

STAY SAFE OUT THERE AND GOD BLESS YOU ALL!!!!! :)

Whitewolf1970
07-29-04, 05:44 PM
Funny. I got a few things, but never got stop by one single officer. I have Taz, 76 Gas antenna ball, American Native headdress, and dreamcatcher all put together and hang from my rear mirror. And parking permit tag too. :o

Metallic4
07-29-04, 05:49 PM
Funny. I got a few things, but never got stop by one single officer. I have Taz, 76 Gas antenna ball, American Native headdress, and dreamcatcher all put together and hang from my rear mirror. And parking permit tag too. :o
Bad idea. They obstruct your vision and can distract you as well as other drivers (ever meet an oncoming car on a sunny day with a CD hanging from the mirror)? Usually, the officers here won't stop you for something like a parking tag, unless they want to stop you for some reason and need PC for a stop. It's more the gangbanger mobiles that have dice hanging from the mirrors that get stopped for a search.

Whitewolf1970
07-29-04, 05:55 PM
Bad idea. They obstruct your vision and can distract you as well as other drivers (ever meet an oncoming car on a sunny day with a CD hanging from the mirror)? Usually, the officers here won't stop you for something like a parking tag, unless they want to stop you for some reason and need PC for a stop. It's more the gangbanger mobiles that have dice hanging from the mirrors that get stopped for a search.

CD? Phhfft! I hate CD which hangs from a mirror! It blinds ppl's eyes too much. I always have a habit of ignore the things on the rear mirror and concentrate only on the roads, people, etc...but not the things hanging. :rolleyes: No wonder I never buy dice kinds. I like the look but the problems yes, as you say, there are so many gangbanger mobiles with dice stuffs. <sigh>

Computer
07-29-04, 06:24 PM
I hear of people getting pulled over for that all the time. Doesnt really disrupt my vision but hey the laws the law.

Gotrek
07-29-04, 06:46 PM
Not to go too off topic but I wonder if Canada has similar laws, all provincial park passes in manitoba are made to stick in the windshield or hang off your mirror...

Metallic4
07-29-04, 08:21 PM
Not to go too off topic but I wonder if Canada has similar laws, all provincial park passes in manitoba are made to stick in the windshield or hang off your mirror...
Park passes here get stuck in the lower corner of a windshield. Again, they most likely won't stop you with a legitimate thing such as a small parking permit hanging from the mirror. They mainly are concerned about CD's and such, but if you have something hanging from your mirror and they want to stop and check you out, they will. It's fair game. View it like going 5mph over the speed limit; they usually won't stop you, but they can if they want because it's illegal.

greenlead
07-29-04, 08:25 PM
Usually, parking placards say on them not to drive while they are on the mirror. They expect you to only put them on the mirror when you are packed.

Joeyd6
07-29-04, 09:05 PM
IN NY if you have anything hanging from your rear view mirror it is vision obstructed. If you have asign or sticker on your windows, there is a separate violation for that.

MYSTICGAL
07-30-04, 08:06 AM
IN NY if you have anything hanging from your rear view mirror it is vision obstructed. If you have asign or sticker on your windows, there is a separate violation for that.

So that goes for the rear window as well? I will remove them at once then. Thank you for your input.

Gotrek
07-30-04, 12:07 PM
Makes sense to me. I know what you guys are talking about, dream catcher, CD's... Our 3 day park passes are stuck on the lower corner of then windshield. The seasonal ones are on the mirror but they are only lik 3" x 4".

Yesterday I saw a handicapped parking pass that hangs on mirrors, those should be 100% illegal to leave hanging while driving because they are like 12" x 5" they are huge.

MYSTICGAL
07-30-04, 12:19 PM
See, that is what I wondered (the hadi cap placard) it does say to remove them, but I see everyone leave them up while driving. Also a few cops have seen mine in my mirror while I am driving and never said anything....that is why I got confused. I wasn't sure if it was big enough deal to get a ticket for or just something that cops don't really bother with too much.

I will from now on remove mine and only put it back up when I park. I was just curious as to why everyone leaves them up (including myself...I am guilty of that) and not being pulled over for it. Also about the bumper sticker in my rear window? is that illeagle as well or do these laws only apply to the front window?

greenlead
07-30-04, 12:48 PM
I was just curious as to why everyone leaves them up (including myself...I am guilty of that) and not being pulled over for it.
People consider that petty. The media would just love it if officers started making it an issue.

Headline: "Police Harrassing Handicapped Over Obscure 'Vision Obstruction' Law"

Dayna36
07-30-04, 12:49 PM
Why on earth would anyone want to hang a CD from their rear view mirror? Seems downright dangerous to me.

MYSTICGAL
07-30-04, 12:53 PM
lol.....thanks for input greenlead...kinda of what I though. I am still going to remove it tho while I am driving. I try and be a good citizen, so I would hate to taint a perfect driving record over something like this.....

ejohnson03
08-02-04, 02:30 PM
WOW, I didn't expect this to be such a popular topic. I guess I can share whit you all the reason why I was actually pulled over. Read on...

As I was proceeding South bound, in a 1976 Chevy Impala, on a residential street. Upon my approach to the intersection, I notice the traffic light had turned yellow and slowed to stop for the anticipated red light.

As I came to a complete stop, I noticed a Patrol Officer (traveling North bound) proceed through this Amber and now red traffic light. Just as his vehicle was passing mine, I looked at the officer raised my hands up and shrugged my shoulders. At this, the officer immediately braked, turned into the first driveway, turned around and pulled up behind my vehicle. Once the light finally turned green the Officer then turned on his roof mount lights to pull me over.

He cautiously approached the driver’s side of my vehicle, and asked for my driver’s license, vehicle registration, and proof of insurance. I then replied to the Officer, “You can understand my frustration, right! All day long, I witness other people running yellow and red lights, but to see a Law Enforcement Agent do this, it is frustrating.” The Officer was quick to reply that he saw me waiving and did not know if I was trying to flag him down. He then leaned over and looked into my car, as I was reaching for the glove box for my vehicle registration, and said that he had pulled me over because of the Vision Obstruction violation (a tree shaped air freshener which was hanging from the rear view mirror).

It was at that moment that I realized that I had made a terrible mistake. By making the bodily gesture, while making eye contact with the Officer, I had called into question his integrity as an Officer of the Law. What I did not know, at this particular moment in time, was that he may have just been dispatched on a call?

That's my story and I 'm sticking too it. I will be disputing this case later in the week. Don't worry, I will let you all know how it turns out.

Jynkxxie
08-02-04, 02:41 PM
What I used to do...was put my air freshner on my parking brake. Kept in partially in the baggie so that it would not stain my car. I do have a medicine bag that I used to hang From my rear view; however, the bag itself hangs below the dash. The only visible part of it from outside the vehicle is the thin leather rope it attaches to. (It's a necklace.) I was told that if you keep it below the dash most cops won't stop you for it. Then again, I live in an area where cops don't have the time to deal with stuff like this.

darrell
08-02-04, 05:08 PM
Our troopers will stop and cite you for anything hanging from your rearview mirror, or sitting on the deck lid of your car (in back window). The will also cite you if you have stickers that hinder vision and or to many stickers on your windows.

Computer
08-02-04, 05:48 PM
I cant even see out of the back window of my car, let alone through the rear view mirror.

Metallic4
08-02-04, 05:49 PM
I cant even see out of the back window of my car, let alone through the rear view mirror.
Yeah, it's hard to fit in those Matchbox cars isn't it?

Computer
08-02-04, 07:38 PM
Actually i drive a blazer but yea its almost like a matchbox.

Tankus
08-03-04, 06:02 AM

same here in west aust...... =$fine

tenfour
08-03-04, 12:09 PM
IMO I think its a good tool to use to stop someone when you have nothing else and suspect something.

Whitewolf1970
08-03-04, 12:23 PM
I have a few stickers but they don't obstruct the views, they're both on sides only. Even police supporter sticker!!! Hey, waitaminute, are ya gonna cited me for havin' the police supporter sticker on the window?? Even Jiffy-Lube oil change sticker? Aw, com'on. Better not! :p I have been driving since my car got fixed up in 1994 and still have 'em hanging on the rear-mirror. <sigh> 10 years??! And no one stop me?? Argh! I wish I got that ticket. <sigh> Oh, well.

ejohnson03
08-03-04, 12:36 PM
Well, I waited for for 45 minutes to see the Magistrate for an informal hearing. He asked what the obstruction was, I told him it was a little tree shaped air freshener. His face got all crinkled as he looked down at his papers. He looked up and said, 'you know you have to remove it'. He dismissed my case, not fine, no points. Ain't life great.

Whitewolf1970
08-03-04, 12:41 PM
Is it because the tree-shaped air fresheners probably were used by many gangsters to cover up the smells? They're famous for coverin' up the smells in the vehicles. Seem like every judges hate the tree-shaped fresheners. Or it because every day is a Christmas special? That tree looks like a Christmas tree to me except without lights. :D

nickg
08-03-04, 03:21 PM
i usually keep one of those cardboard windshield shades streteched across the whole window while i'm driving. makes it hard to see but it's a heck of a lot cooler in the car!! :D :D

Dayna36
08-03-04, 03:29 PM
i usually keep one of those cardboard windshield shades streteched across the whole window while i'm driving. makes it hard to see but it's a heck of a lot cooler in the car!! :D :D
LMAO! Poor man's air conditioning. Be sure you have the side that says "help police" facing the outside.

Whitewolf1970
08-03-04, 04:11 PM
LMAO! Poor man's air conditioning. Be sure you have the side that says "help police" facing the outside.

ROFLOL!!! :D

Computer
08-03-04, 04:35 PM
For me i just keep the air freshner up wen its parked and when i drive i take it down. Simple as that. Dont want to make law enforcment any madder at me than they already are!

wannabe cop
08-04-04, 03:10 PM
ejohnson? you wanna sell your 76 impala??? where are you located? you could make a feww bucks

bpd35
08-06-04, 07:32 AM
Ahhh the good old Felony Tree !!!

mcsap
08-06-04, 12:23 PM
IN PA , stickers cannot be go higher than 4 inches up from the bottom of a window.

Air fresheners are a great reason to stop someone and I rarely cite for it BUT have been talked into do ing so by the driver.

darrell
08-06-04, 12:26 PM
For me i just keep the air freshner up wen its parked and when i drive i take it down. Simple as that. Dont want to make law enforcment any madder at me than they already are!

So Law Enforcement is mad at you now? You seem to find your fair share of mess with the police.

Jynkxxie
08-06-04, 12:31 PM

ROTF!!!!

MYSTICGAL
08-06-04, 01:51 PM
IN PA , stickers cannot be go higher than 4 inches up from the bottom of a window.

Air fresheners are a great reason to stop someone and I rarely cite for it BUT have been talked into do ing so by the driver.

Thank you for the info about stickers. I am asuming that goes for the back window as well? My bumper sticker is in my back window and it is at the bottom of the window. I drive a volvo station wagon so the back window is big and the sticker says "a drunk driver injured me and I am MADD" :o

maybe that is why the PD has never asked me to take it down? I normaly get the "oh I am so sorry" or "what about the drunk? what happened to them"?....that is when I get to "tell the world" about that night....

Opps, sorry, I got off on a tangent....... :p

Ianscape
08-06-04, 03:20 PM
It would fall under obstructed view here in New Hampshire

MamaB
08-06-04, 03:32 PM
Damn...I hate it when my husband is right! He is forever on my case about my beach parking pass (issued by the State of California with a notch at the top to hang it from your mirror, by the way...lol) hanging from the mirror in my truck. I thought he was BS'ing when he said I could be ticketed for it.

Ianscape
08-06-04, 03:45 PM
Dont most hanging placards say to "Remove before driving?" I know they have to here in NH.