Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : Driving Barefoot

Tlou5831
07-20-04, 03:58 PM
My wife and I were having this discussion the other day.

Is it illegal to drive barefoot and Why?

P.S. I Live in Ohio if that helps.

Mike Romeo
07-20-04, 04:00 PM
Yes it's illegal, because it's just silly. ;) Kidding aside, I never heard of any such thing so long as you're maintaining safe control of your vehicle.

Gamefella
07-20-04, 04:01 PM
I took defensive driving a while back and that came up...

Instructor said it was NOT Illegal to drive barefoot. I'm in TX....

I assume he is correct.

Lfpdlieu302
07-20-04, 04:26 PM
i dont know of any laws here in arkansas prohibiting it.

acreature
07-20-04, 04:29 PM
Know of no laws against it here in NC

darrell
07-20-04, 04:31 PM
Not aware of any laws against it in Michigan. But I bet there is some state that has it as a law. Wouldn't suprise me it would be one of them dumb laws.

my58vw
07-20-04, 06:20 PM
I always thought it was here in CA. BTW I hate driving with no shoes... to much feeling on the gas accel and that makes driving a pain... wow me saying too much feeling... :eek:

michiganstud
07-20-04, 07:01 PM
It SHOULD be a law. I've heard of a few accidents where people had their foot slip off the brake because of their foot bending and slipping.

Orleander
07-20-04, 07:19 PM
I always thought it was illegal! Mainly cuz my Mom always told me so. I bet she didn't want me leaving the house without my shoes, so its just one of her Momisms.
I drive barefoot, but always hae my shoes under my seat so I could slide them on if pulled over. Didn't want to get in trouble for being barefoot.

txinvestigator1
07-20-04, 07:46 PM
I took defensive driving a while back and that came up...

Instructor said it was NOT Illegal to drive barefoot. I'm in TX....

I assume he is correct.

he IS correct

sbrad
07-20-04, 08:30 PM
It's a rumor. There is no state where it is illegal to drive without shoes on.
I only know that because one of those motivational speakers in highschool said so. I have no idea how it fit into the motivation part.

michiganstud
07-20-04, 08:38 PM
It's a rumor. There is no state where it is illegal to drive without shoes on.
I only know that because one of those motivational speakers in highschool said so. I have no idea how it fit into the motivation part.

Its illegal in my state!........................................

Of mind. :D

Metallic4
07-20-04, 11:04 PM
My dad won't let me drive a vehicle while wearing sandals :confused:

Jynkxxie
07-20-04, 11:57 PM
It just feels funny....

Jynkxxie
07-20-04, 11:59 PM
I assume he is correct.

I would take caution with this...;) I got chewed out once for listening to an instructor. :D

glock
07-20-04, 11:59 PM
driving barefoot is so much funner though

+ it must be a ohio thing, because i live there too and was told it was illegal by everyobe i know

tx po-lice
07-21-04, 01:12 AM

Not in Texas :D

(rednecks ya know)

richjorg
07-21-04, 11:04 AM
I drive barefoot when I am wearing flip-flops. I think it is safer than driving with them on. The back can get caught on the floor when trying to go from the gas to the brake quickly.

Dayna36
07-21-04, 11:14 AM
It's illegal here but only in winter. :D

nickg
07-21-04, 02:22 PM
is it ok if i wear big heavy duty boots while driving but no pants? ? ? :eek: :D

nhexplorerpost2
07-21-04, 02:58 PM
There is no law against bare foot driving in Indiana that I know of. Sometimes I think it might be safer for me to take off my shoes when driving in high heals.

wild800
07-21-04, 03:17 PM
It's legal to drive barefoot in Ohio, but not recommended!

nhexplorerpost2
07-21-04, 03:25 PM
Not in Texas :D

(rednecks ya know)

Is that why Texas smells so bad????

darrell
07-21-04, 03:27 PM

bwahahahahahahahahahahahaha OMG Give the lady a silver coin for that one.

klaginess
07-21-04, 03:47 PM
is it ok if i wear big heavy duty boots while driving but no pants? ? ? :eek:
That depends on so many other factors! he he ;)

tee_ahn_dough
07-21-04, 05:22 PM
I always had heard it is illegal in CT and VT.

I think it's a dumb law. I drive without shoes whenever I am on a long trip. My feet have better control than my feet with shoes.

Jynkxxie
07-26-04, 09:59 PM

LMAO
:)

Babysmamadrama
07-27-04, 04:36 AM

Its not illegal unless your toe nails exceed 2 inches in length, are bright sun yellow, and your bunions interfere with the safe operation of the vehicle. Also be advised the space between your toes must not be obstructed by lint.

Stump
07-27-04, 07:55 AM
I always thought it was illegal! Mainly cuz my Mom always told me so. I bet she didn't want me leaving the house without my shoes, so its just one of her Momisms.
I drive barefoot, but always hae my shoes under my seat so I could slide them on if pulled over. Didn't want to get in trouble for being barefoot.
I could have written that exact same answer, O. LOL..

I have flip floppy kind of shoes, and those are very tough to wear while driving, and when I wear heels I need to take them off.
I always take my shoes off on long trips, whether driving or riding in the passenger seat.