Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : other than honorable

hkyplyr516
07-16-04, 06:40 PM
Does an "other than honorable discharge" bar someone from NYPD. Also can the college credits be substituted by 3 years of military service with a general discharge or does it have to be a general under honorable conditions or higher?

cobravenom1
07-16-04, 07:40 PM
Let's see;"other than honorable discharge." Yeah that would pretty much sink your chances of being a LEO in my neck of the woods. SoCal is military veteran heaven. To me, this type of discharge would indicate a failure to conform with standards or a disciplinary problem. Unless you can do some real good explaining or NYPD is very hard-up for recruits, you may be better off going to school and looking at another career. Good Luck!

mcsap
07-16-04, 07:42 PM
Does an "other than honorable discharge" bar someone from NYPD. Also can the college credits be substituted by 3 years of military service with a general discharge or does it have to be a general under honorable conditions or higher?

Why don't you just call NYPD recruiting and ask them ? You might get some guesses here but the real answers are obtainable.

Toeknee112
07-16-04, 07:43 PM
To me, this type of discharge would indicate a failure to conform with standards or a disciplinary problem.

Or drugs..."pissing hot" possibly?

cobravenom1
07-16-04, 09:54 PM
Or drugs..."pissing hot" possibly?

You are probably the winner with that guess. :D

mcsap
07-17-04, 12:03 AM
SInce he said other than honorable and wants to "upgrade" to a general ....that means he got a (Duck Dinner) Dishonorable Discharge or a (Big Chicken Dinner) , Bad Conduct Discharge. Neither of them are easy to get and both are hard to shake off.

For those that may not know there are four types of military discharges.

1. Honorable
2. General
3. Bad Conduct
4. Dishonorable

phillyfed
07-17-04, 12:26 AM
Actually there are 5 types of discharges:
1.)Honorable
2.)General under Honorable Conditions
3.)General under Other Than Honorable Conditions
4.)Bad Conduct Discharge (BCD)
5.)Dishonorable

From my experience most people I have seen seperated on an OTH came up hot on the "Whiz Quiz".

mcsap
07-17-04, 05:05 AM
Actually there are 5 types of discharges:
1.)Honorable
2.)General under Honorable Conditions
3.)General under Other Than Honorable Conditions
4.)Bad Conduct Discharge (BCD)
5.)Dishonorable

From my experience most people I have seen seperated on an OTH came up hot on the "Whiz Quiz".

I stand corrected, thank you. I knew people who got every one of these except the one I forgot !!

bhanson
07-17-04, 09:09 AM

If my memory is working properly, anything other than an Honorable Discharge prohibits a person from buying or possessing firearms. Therefore look for another career path.

michiganstud
07-17-04, 09:56 AM

I'm incredibly nosey and I know everyone here wants to know, and I got a big mouth so................

What did you do!?!?!?!? :D

NYCLES
07-17-04, 11:46 AM
This military veteran seconds that.........WHAT DID YOU DO?????

metallicat
07-17-04, 12:02 PM
http://forums.realpolice.net/showthread.php?t=15225

rdp
07-17-04, 04:42 PM
If my memory is working properly, anything other than an Honorable Discharge prohibits a person from buying or possessing firearms. Therefore look for another career path.

Never heard of that federal law before???

Where did you hear that pathetic rule??

cobravenom1
07-17-04, 07:12 PM

Federal Gun Laws(Partial)

Ineligible Persons

The following classes of people are ineligible to possess, receive, ship, or transport firearms or ammunition:

Those convicted of crimes punishable by imprisonment for over one year, except state misdemeanors punishable by two years or less.
Fugitives from justice.
Unlawful users of certain depressant, narcotic, or stimulant drugs.
Those adjudicated as mental defectives or incompetents or those committed to any mental institution.
Illegal aliens.
Citizens who have renounced their citizenship.
Those persons dishonorably discharged from the Armed Forces.
Persons less than 18 years of age for the purchase of a shotgun or rifle.
Persons less than 21 years of age for the purchase of a firearm that is other than a shotgun or rifle.
Persons subject to a court order that restrains such persons from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner.
Persons convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.
Persons under indictment for a crime punishable by imprisonment for more than one year are ineligible to receive, transport, or ship any firearm or ammunition. Under limited conditions, relief from disability may be obtained from the U.S. Secretary of the Treasury, or through a pardon, expungement, restoration of rights, or setting aside of a conviction.

UCMJ (AWOL & Related Articles)

885. ART. 85. DESERTION

(a) Any member of the armed forces who--

(1) without authority goes or remains absent from his unit, organization, or place of duty with intent to remain away therefrom permanently;

(2) quits his unit, organization, or place of duty with intent to avoid hazardous duty or to shirk important service; or

(3) without being regularly separated from one of the armed forces enlists or accepts an appointment in the same or another on of the armed forces without fully disclosing the fact that he has not been regularly separated, or enters any foreign armed service except when authorized by the United States; is guilty of desertion.

(b) Any commissioned officer of the armed forces who, after tender of his resignation and before notice of its acceptance, quits his post or proper duties without leave and with intent to remain away therefrom permanently is guilty of desertion.

(c) Any person found guilty of desertion or attempt to desert shall be punished, if the offense is committed in time of war, by death or such other punishment as a court-martial may direct, but if the desertion or attempt to desert occurs at any other time, by such punishment, other than death, as a court-martial may direct.

886. ART. 86. ABSENCE WITHOUT LEAVE

Any member of the armed forces who, without authority--

(1) fails to go to his appointed place of duty at the time prescribed;

(2) goes from that place; or

(3) absents himself or remains absent from his unit, organization, or place of duty at which he is required to be at the time prescribed; shall be punished as a court-martial may direct.

887. ART. 87. MISSING MOVEMENT

Any person subject to this chapter who through neglect or design misses the movement of a ship, aircraft, or unit with which he is required in the course of duty to move shall be punished as a court-martial may direct.

If I knew this was what I had in my "Bookman" seat, I would request another Bookman. Just .02c from a Veteran.

Jynkxxie
07-17-04, 07:13 PM
Thanks Cobra I was looking all over trying to find this.

rdp
07-18-04, 10:41 AM
So it is only for a dishonorable......... I questioned the blanket for anything other than Honorable.

I was curious as to this since one guy that I work with here and a good friend in KA both have general discharges.

Charlie
07-18-04, 02:08 PM
Unless mistaken, generally, if someone has anything other than an honorable discharge, (Or discharge under honorable conditions), most LE agencies anywhere will not hire someone with anything less than this...
--
Charlie

Metallic4
07-18-04, 02:24 PM
Unless mistaken, generally, if someone has anything other than an honorable discharge, (Or discharge under honorable conditions), most LE agencies anywhere will not hire someone with anything less than this...
--
Charlie
Especially for going AWOL at that :eek:

bhanson
07-18-04, 06:18 PM

Gun Control Act of 1968. The question is on the BATF Form 4473 that a person must complete when they attempt to purchase a firearm. An answer of yes disqualifies you form possessing a firearm. Our Federal Governement at its best.

hkyplyr516
07-19-04, 07:04 PM
Actually it is an other than honorable. for a two week vacation i took. No drugs and nothing else. Funny how a friend of mine has a misdemenor charge for arson and he is on the force. any ideas how the hell this happened. lol

sbrad
07-19-04, 07:11 PM
any ideas how the hell this happened. lol
Just a guess, but I'm thinking it's because you left for two weeks without asking.