Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : Officer With ADHD???

ProfessorFrink
07-13-04, 06:00 AM
Could an Officer diagnosed with ADHD be able to keep being a Police Officer?? What are the health laws of wanting to become a police officer on that if a person with ADHD wants to join the force?

Because I need answers, because I think I am diagnosed with ADD, and I want to become a Police Officer. Now how does this affect me wanting to join on the force??

TheGodFather21
07-13-04, 06:34 AM
I'm no medical proffesional by any means but as long as you can make it through the acadamy and follow directions i don't see where there would be a problem. Just my opinion.

Oldbillplod
07-13-04, 08:25 AM
It should be ok as long as you dont need to take your mum with you whilst out on patrol to slap your legs should you get into a tantrum ;)

Jynkxxie
07-13-04, 08:31 AM
I am not a cop. I have heard that once you are ON the force there is not a whole lot they can do as long as you are fully functional. I am not quite sure how the other way around is.

nabnet
07-13-04, 10:23 AM
Actually, I've seen probationary releases and terminations for a whole bunch of reasons. Of course, most of the terminations are overturned at some point, but I would caution against a general statement that cops are hard to fire. All it would take for a cop suffering from attention deficit disorder is a fitness for duty exam, some purchased evidence and a career is over.

Rex

Jynkxxie
07-13-04, 10:33 AM
Sorry, wasn't making a general statement. I just know that some departments make consessions for those already on the Job.

Whitewolf1970
07-13-04, 10:56 AM
I don't think it will be any problem because if Officer D. W. Black overcame his speech disability, which I heard about in a story how he fought his minor disability and became an officer and everyone were proud of him, so will you. You can be an officer as long as you function normally. But you need to check and ask some PDs in your area and other areas and see if they hire people with ADD or ADHD such as yours. I'm sure, you'll be fine as long as you focus and PAY attention.

Not sure if Ofc Black was the first officer with a minor disability that he overcame. But I'm surprised. God bless him and his family for what he had done while on this earth.

nabnet
07-13-04, 11:49 AM
No need to apologize, and forgive me if my post gave that impression. There was a cartoon where one cop was holding an Uzi. He said with a sigh of relief to the second cop, "Geez! I thought it was a camcorder!" I thought that was very funny and it goes to the tough job that cops have. They are expected to make split second decisions, and video doesn't always capture what was really going on; hence, the chances of suffering a knee-jerk response these days are aplenty.

Rex

Jynkxxie
07-13-04, 11:58 AM
I guess the way I was told was that the way it is viewed is almost that as if you have made it thru and we have trained you and you have "x" amount of years on so we will work with you to help you. Or it could be viewed as something optained because of the job...depression/anxiety...etc., as opposed to the applicant who may be viewed as a liability.

Metallic4
07-13-04, 12:37 PM
Hey,
Alot of kids use the word "ADD" as a joke these days, such as "Oh, you have ADD because you didn't watch the whole movie, etc." I don't understand how you "think" you are diagnosed with ADD. Do you "think" you have it, or have you been to a doctor?

Citicop
07-13-04, 03:27 PM
ProfessorFrink-

When I was a child, I was diagnosed with ADHD by my pediatrician. I took Ritalin (by prescription) all the way through elementary and middle school. I stopped in high school, and (after my grades suffered for a bit before I learned how to compensate) I learned how to deal with it on my own. I graduated #2 in my Academy class (I missed being #1 by less than half a percent... :mad: ). I have been a police officer for four years now, and I have no problems doing the job.

It can be done, if you apply yourself.

Citicop

DeputyMadMax
07-13-04, 04:06 PM
I agree wth Citicop. I was also diagnosed with ADD in highschool. I never took any prescriptions for it because of my age. I learned how to deal with it. It made it a little hard during some portions of the academy, but I made it. It rarely effects me on the job, and when it does, it's not in those split second decision times that really matter. I only have a problem sitting down and reading a lot.

Never at anytime during my application to post, or the many job interviews that followed was I ever asked if I had ADD. As long as you can pass the tests and cope on the job, that is all that matters.

sbrad
07-13-04, 10:26 PM
Wait, what were we talking about?

NirvanaGirl
07-13-04, 10:34 PM
Could an Officer diagnosed with ADHD be able to keep being a Police Officer?? What are the health laws of wanting to become a police officer on that if a person with ADHD wants to join the force?

Because I need answers, because I think I am diagnosed with ADD, and I want to become a Police Officer. Now how does this affect me wanting to join on the force??
I have ADD. I take concerta as needed, and that is only for exams in school and such. I dont see why ADD should affect your job.There is quite a bit of help for anyone w/ADD. therapy is also good, cognitive type. so do the research and hold your head high. ADD is an awesome way to see the world. You never know, it may just enahance how you do your work.