Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

anon1m0us
06-22-04, 02:02 PM
I received a ticket for expired registration, however, the car color was wrong and so was the street. I live in NY, is that enough to get off the ticket? I was told the car was gray, and the police officer wrote silver. Is there a way to check the correct color? :D

TALLON
06-22-04, 02:11 PM
Is it your car? Where you present when the ticket was issued? Was your registration expired at the time of issuance?

I'd say take your Gray car down to the court house and pay the fine.

anon1m0us
06-22-04, 02:15 PM
I pay more than my share in taxes, don't want to pay more.

Now the interesting question is: I was present when the ticket was issued. On the ticket, the cop needs to request my Identification if I am present, which they did not do and they signed the ticket stating that if I was present they requested identification and noted it on the ticket. Isnít that perjury?

Oldbillplod
06-22-04, 02:18 PM
[QUOTE=anon1m0us] I live in NY, is that enough to get off the ticket?/QUOTE]

Of course it is, people who live in NY never have to pay, just ignore it i'm sure it will go away.

txinvestigator1
06-22-04, 02:21 PM
No it is not perjury. GO to court and fight the ticket if you wish. This is not "How to get out of a ticket forum".

anon1m0us
06-22-04, 02:23 PM
The question was not if I have to pay or not. The question is can I LEGALLY get off the ticket do to technicalities.

txinvestigator1
06-22-04, 02:26 PM
Probably not. The fact that the car is Gray or Silver is hardly relevant to the facts. Your address is irrelevant to the facts.

Here are the facts

You operated a MV

On a public roadway

without a valid certificate of registration attached to the vehicle.

If those facts are correct, then the color of the car, your address, your phone number or the phase of the moon matter not.

Toeknee112
06-22-04, 02:27 PM
As oppossed to "illegally" getting off? WTF?

Jynkxxie
06-22-04, 02:29 PM
Can't tickets be ammended now?

txinvestigator1
06-22-04, 02:30 PM
Can't tickets be ammended now? no need in this case

Scruit
06-22-04, 02:31 PM
No - there are no legal grounds to have the ticket ruled invalid based upon the infromation supplied.

besides the ticket was given to you in good faith. You were in violation of the law. There is no way you can morally justify not paying the ticket. Only if the basic facts of the case (as listed by TX) are incorrect do you have moral (and/or legal) grounds for dismissal.

Samuel
06-22-04, 02:46 PM
this is what is wrong with society today... :rolleyes:

anon1m0us
06-22-04, 05:04 PM
The vehicle was not being operated at the time of the ticket. I was there but the car was off and parked.

Strijder
06-22-04, 05:10 PM
And how did it get into that parking spot, pray tell? :p

md123
06-22-04, 05:14 PM
For a mistake like silver/gray I would say getting off would be a long shot. It can be argued that silver and gray are the same thing, or close enough. However, mistakes on parking tickets in NYC will often disqualify the ticket in "court," or the fine is often reduced in.

Disclaimer: Folks, a parking ticket in NYC can be $150 now.

If you take the day off from work, you might just beat it and make back half the money you spent taking off, and paying for parking. ;) If the street name is wrong, you can go to "court" and tell the "judge." I use quotes because it will not be a real court room, and you will not see a real judge I don't think. I think they are counselors of some sort. Anyway, be real repectful, take responsibility for your actions, don't make excuses (as there are none for breaking the law), but perhaps explain why you broke the law (if you have a "reasonable" explanation - again, not the same as an excuse). You will most likely have the fine reduced just for showing up in court.

edited to say: p.s., I am not a cop but have been ticketed in NYC before, and have had my fine reduced when showing up to court.

TALLON
06-22-04, 05:20 PM
I received a ticket for expired registration, however, the car color was wrong and so was the street. I live in NY, is that enough to get off the ticket? I was told the car was gray, and the police officer wrote silver. Is there a way to check the correct color? :D

anon1m0us...Since you will not accept the advice given heretofore, let me answer your question directly. NO, you cannot get out of the ticket. Pay it and move on.

txinvestigator1
06-22-04, 05:49 PM
Hey, I forgot to ask you though. Was the cop wearing his hat? If not, he cannot write you a ticket.

Scruit
06-22-04, 05:50 PM
The vehilce not being operated is a valid enough point for you to ask... But the answer, unfortunately, is that if the vehicle is upon a pubich highway then it must be registered. There is no requirement that the vehicle is being operated at the time of the violation.

darrell
06-22-04, 06:09 PM
Hey, I forgot to ask you though. Was the cop wearing his hat? If not, he cannot write you a ticket.

Someone is feeding the troll. Tisk tisk tisk......... :D

Joeyd6
06-22-04, 06:38 PM

I will assume you are in NYC:
1) If you fight it you go to an administrative judge who will ask you to prove your case. In this case you are trying to prove that your reg was not expired.
a) The officer made a valid attempt to ID the car...silver/gray are almost interchangable. This "mistake" is not enough to have it dismissed.
b) The street/address in this case has no bearing. No matter what street or public lot you are on, you are guilty of said offense if your reg is in fact expired. The address would matter in a case such as a "No Parking zone" or a meter ticket or a fire hydrant ticket. A registration ticket is valid on ANY street and on ANY public proerty. So if the officer made a mistake on that, it has no bearing on you case or not.
c) The ticket asks for the expired reg date. The judge can go online with DMV and verify the exact date you renewed. Thus, it it was expired on that date, he will know.

Conclusion: Pay the ticket and save yourself some wasted time. I write these babys all day and know the ins/outs of how to write one. This one is valid no matter where you are parked and silver/gray are acceptable and reasonable to be switched.

Norm357
06-22-04, 06:39 PM
I hope know one teaches these guys the secret handshake to get out of a ticket! :eek:

Stump
06-25-04, 03:49 PM
Not that this matters, since you won't get out of the ticket for that, but...

Since I live in NY, and run plates all the time, I will tell you that DMV decides what color to consider your car, and they don't use the obscure color names the dealers come up with. Silver and grey are basically the same color in their eyes, so the registration information will reflect that. My car is tan, but DMV calls it "Light brown". No difference.

In addition, how did the cop get the wrong address? Did he/she take the address right off the registration information? They don't just make up the addresses they write down. Ooooh... lucky you didn't get a ticket for not properly changing your address. If he writes down the address that is listed on the registration, he is not wrong. If you go into court and tell the judge that, you will be admitting that you didn't follow procedure mandated by the DMV to change your address withint 10 days of moving.
:)

darrell
06-25-04, 03:54 PM
Hey kid grow up pay the pinch and or get a lawyer and fight it. Learn fromyou mistakes and the simple little color crap don't work cause it's the officer's copy that matters... Oh yeah you aint getting the handshake or the secret from any of us.

Mike Romeo
06-29-04, 02:11 PM
If you haven't gotten any tickets in the last few years, go to court and ask the judge to place you on probation. If you don't get any other citations in a year or so, some cities will let you go without paying the fine. May have to pay court costs though. On the other hand, he may make you pay the fine anyway. Just a thought, can't hurt to ask.