Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : Seat Belt Violation question

Heather
05-25-04, 09:26 PM
I understand how you can get pulled over and ticketed if you are not wearing your seat belt. But, what I was curious about was in regards to your passengers. Say, for example, the front seat passenger in your car is not seat belted and you (the driver) are. Could you be pulled over and if so - who gets the ticket?

txinvestigator1
05-25-04, 09:32 PM
In Texas, the driver can be stopped. If the passanger is over 14, I believe, he/she can be cited; otherwise, the driver gets the cite.

I'll double check the age thing.

darrell
05-25-04, 09:37 PM
You can still be stopped and the passanger will get the citation. In Michigan th eonly seat belt citation you actually get points for is when you don't buckle up your child or use a proper seat device. But to answer the 1st question yes you can be stopped.

Norm357
05-25-04, 09:51 PM
including two with unrestrained kids.

Another pet peeve of mine. :mad:

brownman40
05-26-04, 12:52 AM
It depends what state you're in whether you can pull over JUST for seat belt. All states you can cite for seat belt though.

Daint
05-26-04, 02:12 AM
Im in complete favor of the new seat belt fine. I think if someone cant figure out how to put on a seat belt, they deserve any fine the state feels is acceptable. Then again, I also think if your not smart enough to put on your seat belt you deserve to what you get when you crash, so Im not the best for judging new laws. :D

Joeyd6
05-26-04, 02:34 AM
In NY you can stop them if the drive ris not wearing it or if the front passenger is not wearing it. If the front passenger s a minor....the driver gets the summons. We can also pull over a vehilce if we see the rear child is not restrained or in a car seat. Again the driver gets the summonses.

Seand442
05-26-04, 11:02 AM
Dc, I hear ya. I had a wreck the other day where the lady had her 4 year old in the front seat. Law says anyone under 5 is in a car seat. This bumbling moron of a mom had the c****at IN THE BACK SEAT ALL HOOKED UP. They had just stopped at a gas station and she didnt want to take the time to put her daughter back in the car seat. She wanted to get home quicker. Some people should not be allowed to reproduce. :mad:

Heather
05-28-04, 10:05 PM
Thanks guys for all the replies! I have wondered how that works! :)

Orleander
05-28-04, 10:10 PM
What if your car is an antique? Do you have to put seatbelts in it?

80's hair
05-28-04, 11:08 PM
Well I'm here now, and I never cut breaks for adults with unrestrained kids.
Good for you DC and if you catch my husband give him double. He calls me a "Saftey Natzi" frankly I am sick of it. He needs to be put in his place and I guess I am not big enough to do it. I am sick of hearing "Daddy let me in the front seat". What? With an airbag is he nuts?

I have noticed that setbelt brigade (I have no idea what it is really called) here in the last couple of days. Basically it is lots of police cars lined up cracking down on violators. Good Job, Thanks! and I hope it makes a difference.

JimDeGriz
05-28-04, 11:31 PM

I cant speak for other states but in Georgia you can voluntarily install seatbelt in vehicles that they were not OEM equiped with seat belts...

also in georgia it seems that the driver of the vehicle is issued the ticket when the passenger isnt weraing a seat belt

my question regards constitutionality: why am I forced by law pay for insurance and then to wear a safetybelt in order to reduce the payouts of large corporations... wouldnt the safty belt law be a violation under the bill of rights if I am a concientious objector, I feel my movement is limited, and since the seatbelt rubs my neck I am also distracted... thus causing a safety issue.

mcsap
05-29-04, 03:45 AM
Depending on the age of the passenger, I'll cite them or I'll cite the driver for permitting the passenger to not wear it. Yes, the driver is responsible for the actions and conduct of their passengers.

Tankus
05-29-04, 04:59 AM
over here the person who is not wearing the seatbelt is the one that gets the ticket.....however.....if the person is under 16 we are prohibited from issueing tickets to them....so good ol' mumsy or dadsy gets the ticket (or whoever is the driver) for permitting child under 16 to not wear seatbelt.

it was good.....got to give a ticket to the driver for his speed and not wearing seatbelt, and one for not having his kid belted up as well.....so that was three for the price of one!!!

$150 per seatblet ticket and 3 points, plus the one for his speed!!
he wasnt happy

CXT_180
05-29-04, 01:52 PM
Here, if the car was manufactured before 1965/8 (can't remember) and did not come with seatbelts, you don't have to install them. (Or wear them, obviously if they aren't there.)

MNtopcop
05-29-04, 02:44 PM
In Minnesota, Seatbelt violation is not a primary offense. vehicle must be stopped for moving violation, then you can issue seatbelt citations. As far as the front passenger, if the are over a certain age then they can also be issued a citation for the seatbelt violation, as can the driver for the responsibility of the passenger. In short, you can tag the driver twice, or the driver and passenger!

Joeyd6
05-29-04, 03:03 PM

In NY there is a grandfather clause about those vehicles and farm vehicles being exempt.

mcsap
05-29-04, 06:16 PM
If a vehicle did not come with seatbelts from new, they are exempt. Kids are not exempt from the c****at laws though. Seatbelts came standard in 1966, prior to that it differed by manufacturer.

jess
05-30-04, 01:50 AM
"In Texas, the driver can be stopped. If the passenger is over 14, I believe, he/she can be cited; otherwise, the driver gets the cite."

I have heard that in Texas, a driver was arrested for not wearing his seatbelt, and their supreme court ruled that the arrest was valid. My question is, how likely and common are such arrests in Texas for not wearing a seatbelt? :confused:

Tankus
05-31-04, 02:27 AM

In western Australia all vehicles have to conform to the vehicle standards regulations.....if the vehicle was manufactured without seatblets then thats fine, i cant remember the year, but i think it was 1974 that it became legislation that everyone had to wear a seatbelt so thats when vehicles started coming off the production line with seatbelts fron and rear.

the only other way not to have seatbelts fitted is to apply for a permit......anything that you do to a vehicle modification wise or really anything at all that is not stock standard must be covered by a permit...

ChainSa
06-22-04, 06:03 PM
In Minnesota, Seatbelt violation is not a primary offense. vehicle must be stopped for moving violation, then you can issue seatbelt citations. As far as the front passenger, if the are over a certain age then they can also be issued a citation for the seatbelt violation, as can the driver for the responsibility of the passenger. In short, you can tag the driver twice, or the driver and passenger!

Wisconsin is the exact same way. You have to be caught with a moving violations first. For example, if you get caught for speeding and they see you don't have your belt on, you get warnings or citations (officer's choice ;) ) for both the speeding and not wearing your belt. Now, if you get pulled over for speeding and you are wearing a belt but the passenger isn't, the driver gets it for speeding, not telling the passenger to buckle up, and the passenger can get it for no belt. They're really cracking down on the whole seatbelt thing now. Personaly, I don't think it's fair that they enforce that law, and yet motorcyclists can ride without helmets. :mad: Pet peeve of mine...

txinvestigator1
06-22-04, 08:13 PM
"In Texas, the driver can be stopped. If the passenger is over 14, I believe, he/she can be cited; otherwise, the driver gets the cite."

I have heard that in Texas, a driver was arrested for not wearing his seatbelt, and their supreme court ruled that the arrest was valid. My question is, how likely and common are such arrests in Texas for not wearing a seatbelt? :confused:

Only likely if you act in a manner that causes the officer to want to go through with the hassle of making an arrest rather than a cite.

K9Cop
06-22-04, 08:29 PM
In NC, you can initiate a traffic stop on a vehicle if the front seat occupants are not wearing their seat belts OR if you observed children anywhere in the vehicle not wearing seatbelts or in a car seat. Alotta my dope busts come from traffic stops initiated for Seatbelt Violations:) We cite whoever is not wearing the seatbelt if they are over 16 - under 16 the driver gets the citation.

Hollis911
06-22-04, 11:29 PM
In Oklahoma if you get pulled over for the passenger not wearing their seatbelt no matter how old they are the driver is the one that gets the ticket. If your going to drive a vehicle with other people in the car with you in Oklahoma, its the drivers responsibility to make sure everyone is buckled up.

BryGuy
06-23-04, 10:01 PM
I think seat belt laws (with the exception of child passengers) are a bad idea. We're getting in the way of natural selection....Darwinism at work and the state stopping it. All it means is the bottom of the gene pool is spreading faster and faster...

BTW - I'm just kidding

Norm357
06-23-04, 10:07 PM
two $120.00 tickets for the two children under 4 years who were also unsecured in the car.

You should have locked his *** up for child endangerment.