Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : Drug Testing

Ak82
03-15-04, 10:45 PM
Just out of curiousity, does anyone know how the NYPD administers its drug tests. Is it a urine test or a hair follicle test? I am a swimmer, so getting hair might be a problem. Let me know..Thanks

jad454
03-16-04, 08:10 AM
Just out of curiousity, does anyone know how the NYPD administers its drug tests. Is it a urine test or a hair follicle test? I am a swimmer, so getting hair might be a problem. Let me know..Thanks

It is a hair follicle test! They will take hair from other places if you don't have enough on your head. Ouch!

Ak82
03-16-04, 09:53 AM
Does anyone know for how long hair follicles test positive? I've heard anywhere from 3 to 6 months??

Xeone
03-16-04, 10:01 AM
Does anyone know for how long hair follicles test positive? I've heard anywhere from 3 to 6 months??

ive heard the same... what i wonder is that if you were in a bar or something...and just caught a faint whiff of pot smoke... and werent even sure that is what it was.... if that could cause strong enough traces in hair to test positive....?

jad454
03-16-04, 12:31 PM
Any and all drug history becomes embedded in your hair until it is cut off. So if you havent had your hair cut in three years they can technically go back three years. It would be more expensive but it can be done.

The answer to your second question is no. You will not test positive from just being in the room when someone is smoking pot. The entire room would have to be filled with smoke like Spicoli's van from Fast Times At Ridgemont High.

Toeknee112
03-16-04, 01:06 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jynkxxie
03-16-04, 01:15 PM

I have heard 4 years is how far they can legally go back...and if it is second hand smoke...it will show up...but as second hand. This is the procedure that I was put thru for Fords. And the 4 year thing was what they had told me. Don't really know if that flucuates thru each agency or is merely my state law or Ford's policy.

Xeone
03-16-04, 02:14 PM
I have heard 4 years is how far they can legally go back...and if it is second hand smoke...it will show up...but as second hand. This is the procedure that I was put thru for Fords. And the 4 year thing was what they had told me. Don't really know if that flucuates thru each agency or is merely my state law or Ford's policy.

hmm... i thought they did like a 60 day or 90 day test with the hairfolicles... dont have anythign to worry about either way... except possibly the second hand smoke thing... but it wasnt that i was hanging out with people who were smoking...it would be more like i walked by someone who was smoking...

Orleander
03-16-04, 02:15 PM
If you don't do drugs, what does it matter?

Xeone
03-16-04, 02:21 PM
If you don't do drugs, what does it matter?

it shouldn't...but i was concerned with other peoples doing drugs... getting in the way of things...

jad454
03-16-04, 02:22 PM
If you are in the same room when someone is smoking pot the pot will settle on your hair not become embedded in the shaft. It will then be washed out the next time you shower.

Sorry Jinxie, I stand corrected. Most agency whether LE or otherwise will only go back 90 days but the technology allows them to see years worth of abuse. They can also tell if it was a one time thing or over a long period of time.

I researched it because I was given Morphine in the hospital and was curious whether it would show up on a drug test. I have a high security position and I am periodically tested.

Jynkxxie
03-16-04, 02:34 PM
If you are in the same room when someone is smoking pot the pot will settle on your hair not become embedded in the shaft. It will then be washed out the next time you shower.

Sorry Jinxie, I stand corrected. Most agency whether LE or otherwise will only go back 90 days but the technology allows them to see years worth of abuse. They can also tell if it was a one time thing or over a long period of time.

I researched it because I was given Morphine in the hospital and was curious whether it would show up on a drug test. I have a high security position and I am periodically tested.

No Need to apologize. I am sure that testing varies place to place.

Ak82
03-16-04, 02:38 PM
I just spoke to a friend of mine who is a cop. He said the NYPD administers the hair follicle test. They have the option of testing for 1 month, 3 months or 7 years. However, the 7 year test is very expensive and the NYPD will not pay for it. As a result, they test for drug use in the past 3 months. He also told me that they will not drug test you until the week before the academy begins. Otherwise if they tested you now, they wouldnt know if you used drugs from now to until the start of the academy. So for those of you who smoke weed or do anything else...STOP NOW!!! Later guys!

jad454
03-16-04, 02:43 PM
They actually test you three times. The first is during the medical (hair follicle). The next one is when you go into the academy (urine test). And the last one is when you are finished with probation (2 years after you are hired). Again it is urine test. I actually know a guy who went through the academy and graduated. He went out partying to celebrate and they tested him like a day later. He failed and it was BYE BYE NYPD!

Ak82
03-16-04, 02:50 PM
They actually test you three times. The first is during the medical (hair follicle). The next one is when you go into the academy (urine test). And the last one is when you are finished with probation (2 years after you are hired). Again it is urine test. I actually know a guy who went through the academy and graduated. He went out partying to celebrate and they tested him like a day later. He failed and it was BYE BYE NYPD!

Well if the medical exam is when they do the hair follicle test, then it is about a week or so before the academy. My friend who is a cop, said they did the hair follicle test 5 days before the start of the academy. I also know another person who had his medical done, but they did not do the drug test at the medical. So Im not sure what to think at this point.

ruthless013
03-16-04, 02:51 PM

WOW. he had just finished taking an oath to uphold the law, and then went out and got high? that's awesome - one more spot for a guy like me.

Xeone
03-16-04, 02:57 PM

i would assume that means he got blazed then... i would hope that they dont mind anyone getting drunk as hell after the academy... i know i would wnat to head straight for the bar after 6months of torture...

jad454
03-16-04, 03:00 PM
Well if the medical exam is when they do the hair follicle test, then it is about a week or so before the academy. My friend who is a cop, said they did the hair follicle test 5 days before the start of the academy. I also know another person who had his medical done, but they did not do the drug test at the medical. So Im not sure what to think at this point.

Maybe they changed it but i would expect some kind of drug test at the first medical. When I went through the process they did the urine test at the first medical. but they also dint use the hair test bachk then. There was another urine test a week before the academy.

Toeknee112
03-16-04, 03:47 PM
Grrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

jad454
03-16-04, 04:16 PM
Im with you on that. His stupidity got him thrown out! I find it really hipocritical for a LEO to go out and get stoned and then maybe arrest someone for doing the same thing the next day

md123
03-17-04, 03:25 PM
i looked on a website for a company that performs the hair folicle test, and they claim to be able to go back 3 months. i forget the url, but maybe you can do a search.

Ak82
03-17-04, 11:28 PM
i looked on a website for a company that performs the hair folicle test, and they claim to be able to go back 3 months. i forget the url, but maybe you can do a search.

Yes, I stated in a earlier post that they administer the hair follicle test and test for drug use in the past 3 months. The question is whe do they do the drug test. A friend of mine who is a cop said he was given the hair test back in Jan. 2000, about a week before the academy began.