Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

cop4u
03-14-04, 02:58 AM
Hey cats, why the hell is it that most cops seem to kick the bucket shortly after they retire? I was talking to a cop lately and he said that alot of cops die of heart attacks or other crazy things when they enter retirement? Maybe all the stress over the years or the highest divorce rate of any job? Hell I don't know but it scares me.

CO.Dep
03-14-04, 03:09 AM
I heard it had something to do with the stress of being a cop for so long and then all of a sudden you are just plain joe civilian. That is why it is stressed over and over again to have outside interest and friends not in LE. Also, you should keep in shape and exercise on a regular basis. This will alleviate stress causing less damage to your body.

cop4u
03-14-04, 03:14 AM
good idea, what the hell is the use of a pension if you won't live to see it!

CO.Dep
03-14-04, 03:21 AM
So true. If this happens to me at least my wife will be taken care of. She can enjoy all those great vacations with her new, younger and better looking, husband! :D

Oldbillplod
03-14-04, 04:12 AM
It also has a lot to do with working shifts especially nights and also the amount of adrenaline dumps you get.

HiTechCj
03-14-04, 11:40 AM
Greetings:

I recently retired. While talking to the sergeant who process the paperwork I commented that most cops don't live long after retirement. He told me that was an "urban Myth." He showed me the actuarial tables and the latest report on retired membership. Yipee! The average number of years lived after retirement has skyrocketed. The number of cops pulling 30 plus years of retirement benefits is growing very quickly.

Maybe we are taking better care of ourselves.......

Time for a smoke:)

Raymond
www.hitechcj.com

Switchback
03-14-04, 11:44 AM
The stress, of course can be a big problem. It depends on how you deal with it. Which takes me to the next problem... lack of exercise and poor diets. Eat decent and exercise... the exercise will often take care of the stress part. And as mentioned already, have a life outside of work.
:)

mcsap
03-14-04, 12:49 PM
A high stress job, little or no excercise and the sudden transition from 911 responses to watching Rescue 911 on TV are all contributors.

Have a life beyond LE, even while you are a LEO. Get some excercise and stick with. Do something ! Plan on what to do after retirement before you get there. I have been jogging for the past 26 yrs and at 7 yrs away from retirement, I am looking ahead now.

hwpd
03-14-04, 01:04 PM
The reason for life span being short for police officers are adrenaline dumps.
Adreniline dumps can be good, and at some occasions(sp) can be bad.

Lets say your in foot pursuit, you will get an adrenaline dump, adrenaline dump allows your body to perform beyond its abilities.
On the opposite side we had FTO at our Dept who had stopped a walking subject and questioned him, turns out to be that the subject had a warrant for Murder and her training officer told her to cuff that person. She couldn't move, because of her adrenaline dump. (long story short, another unit responeded and took the suspect down).
Usually after getting an adrenaline dump you get tired and become more sleepy.
I've heard that the scientists did a study on this and found out that a lot of adrenaline dumps is not healthy for your body, and that is why life span for police officers is shorter that for other people because you constantly get adrenaline dumps.
As for me, I still want to be a cop.

Switchback
03-14-04, 02:07 PM
I can find a study to say anything. Adrenaline dumps are a natural part of life.

They become more hazardous with other contributing factors, such as having a couple arteries 80% blocked and being 40 lbs overweight.

Zohar
03-14-04, 05:04 PM
That's definately true, if you take a college fitness and wellness course you will learn that a sedintary lifestyle coupled with unhealthy habbits and a high stress environment is about 50-70% responsible for any future healh problems.

Sgt. Pepper
03-14-04, 10:23 PM
I saw a study on retirement of firefighters when i find it again i will post the info, since or jobs have pretty much the same stresses.

Switchback
03-14-04, 10:51 PM
Same stresses???
People like you guys!

LOL

Zohar
03-15-04, 02:48 AM
Same stresses???
People like you guys!

LOL

Those darn firefighters! Always ruining everything! I'd rather get pulled over anyday! (just kidding)

Seriously though, it makes sense. Running into a burning building in an insulated suit is just amazing. I think it takes a lot of bravery to do something like that, I have a lot of respect for firemen/women.

coucousis
03-15-04, 08:22 AM
Cop4U.... Only 3 post and already banned.... ????? wonder what you did??? :)

mcsap
03-15-04, 01:08 PM
What about all of the people that DC chases, they should be so full of adrenalin pumps they should be dead by the time they are 30 !!!!

Group9
03-15-04, 04:33 PM
Hey cats, why the hell is it that most cops seem to kick the bucket shortly after they retire? I was talking to a cop lately and he said that alot of cops die of heart attacks or other crazy things when they enter retirement? Maybe all the stress over the years or the highest divorce rate of any job? Hell I don't know but it scares me.

Unfortunately, a lot of those deaths are suicides. Now that fitness is more of a part of the job than in earlier days, I bet that the after retirement mortality rate will start getting better.