Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : procedure for getting pulled over

Camaro383NY
03-13-04, 05:48 PM
roll down all the windows stick 1 arm out the window place the other on top of the steering wheel turn on the interior light pull as far out of the road as possible signal to the cop with a thumbs up and point to where youre stopping if you need to drive a short distance to find a suitable place to pull over (no shoulder busy street etc). dont reach for anything (insurance registration license etc) until the cop asks for it. ok am is there anything else i am forgetting because a comfortable cop is a happy cop and a happy cop doesnt write tickets. btw i also have a pba card and one of them little badges what is the proper method to display that to the officer and what to say so he lets me go for driving like a douche bag.
thanks

Ghost 1
03-13-04, 06:36 PM
What I like to see on stops (at night) is the interior light on,hands on the steering wheel at 10 and 2,and the window rolled down. The vehicle needs to be shut off with just your parking lights on for visabillity and absolutely NO cell phone conversations. Nothing says you're getting a ticket like walking up to a car and hearing,"I just got pulled over by some d@mned cop."

metallicat
03-13-04, 07:03 PM
roll down all the windows stick 1 arm out the window place the other on top of the steering wheel turn on the interior light pull as far out of the road as possible signal to the cop with a thumbs up and point to where youre stopping if you need to drive a short distance to find a suitable place to pull over (no shoulder busy street etc). dont reach for anything (insurance registration license etc) until the cop asks for it. ok am is there anything else i am forgetting because a comfortable cop is a happy cop and a happy cop doesnt write tickets. btw i also have a pba card and one of them little badges what is the proper method to display that to the officer and what to say so he lets me go for driving like a douche bag.
thanks

Dear Lord,

Please take away this persons driving privaledges.

Amen.

greenlead
03-13-04, 07:35 PM
Your state may have a nice pamplet addressing this question, I know mine does.

Your PBA card is not going to get you out of a ticket, if you expect it to, you may wind up with more tickets.

A police officer will have a reason to stop you, that reason will not go away just because you were polite, though being rude could certainly help you to get more.

Many officers have their minds made up whether or not to give you a ticket before they get out of their cars.

As soon as you see the lights, turn on you hazard lights and proceed to the right side of the road, as far off the roadway as possible. The officer may just be responding to a call, and you getting out of the way made his life a little bit easier.

Turn off the radio. Put your hands at 12 o'clock on the wheel and instruct all passengers to put their hands in a similar visible position. Forget about your cell phone. Do not remove your seat belt. Do not try to go for your license and registration until they are asked for, as the back of the pants and the glove box are both common places for storing firearms.

The officer rules the conversation. You do not. If you have a concealed carry permit and/or you have a weapon in the car, say so! Be very calm and explain what you are doing. Explain that your registration is under the seat, do not just reach for it, or you may enjoy the rest of the stop from the outside of your vehicle, possibly in the police car's cage. Officer safety is not a joke!

Do not name drop. Your favorite police buddy/politician will be very dissapointed to hear that you were breaking the law.

Do not ask the officer to hurry up! By breaking the law, you signed away your time. Your schedule is now on our time.

Do not argue, an honest question is all right, however.

Srebeiro
03-13-04, 08:34 PM
Thats one thing as a rider I can't stand, People name drop CONSTANTLY, infact someone's mother named a chief custodian in a neighboring citys department. Whats up with that??!?!?!
Anyways. I dont know about cards and what not but, I know that I was going to Southern California witha FireFighter Explorer and my police explorer uniform was in the back hung up next to the fire cadets dress uniform. The cadet is also a Paramedic with AMR so his ID card was hanging from the mirror, and we were both in Civil Air Patrol BDU's. He was pissed to it was hot out and what not but like he goes back to the car runs us out takes his cite book up and I watched as he pressed his pen down to start writing the cite, then throws his Cite book down to the ground walks back and lectures us. Then releases us on our way. It was a good day. But my friend is a bad driver and needless to say I was driving the rest of the way.

jason58504
03-13-04, 08:41 PM
name dropping has always worked for me. I was stopped in a town once and was talking to a lt on my cell phone was I was stopped. I ended the call before he came to my window and he asked who I was talking to on the phone. I told him and he said ok you are free to go, just slow down! Another time I was driving to a cop friends house and the officer asked where I was going and let me off when I told him I was going to officer Millers house. Just a couple examples. Another thing, if you are a cop and get stopped in another city you shouldn't get a ticket. It is kinda a unwritten rule not to cite a fellow officer.

Jcrazy
03-13-04, 10:39 PM
Name dropping is a good way to guarantee a ticket. The people you know are not responsible for your poor driving skills nor should they be your ticket out of irresponsible actions.

Toeknee112
03-13-04, 11:51 PM
Go away troll!

mcsap
03-14-04, 01:17 AM
I assume from your "name" that you have a Camaro, that you have or want to put a 383 stroker (racing) engine in it and you are from New York. Regardless, a kid in a Camaro might as well flash me ID showing that he is related to George Bush or John Kerry. If you drive stupid you will be rewarded. I don't care who you know.

And I did cite a cop who drove like a nut in his brand new SS Camaro and just let his badge hang out of the window when I walked up. I didnt care who he was , he got an autograph. If you do something dumb, you are better off to just admit it.

And PULL OVER as soon as the lights and or siren come on. Those that "shop" for a place to pull over are either trying to hide or ignorant of the law that requires them to pull over immediately.

metallicat
03-14-04, 12:56 PM
Here is the nice little private message that was sent to me by Camaro383NY:

"i got pulled over doing 145 mph in a 65 and i didnt lose my license ******* hahahaha just thought id let you know that to brighten your day"

What a class act this guys is eh?

K9 Police
03-14-04, 01:20 PM
S/he has been warned. If s/he continues please report him/her so that we can take appropriate action.

K9

Srebeiro
03-14-04, 02:39 PM
I have to admit I am still learning to drive infact I have a provisional permit, I have never actually went into the DMV. In California you need to have six months and right when I was going to get my DL my grandfather died. I dont think thats a sign or anything but yeah , funny thing is the Asian Driving instructor I has says I drive like a cop, whatever thats soposed to mean. What are the chances I am picking up bad habits from riding...

ogdogg16
03-14-04, 05:17 PM
Here is one subject I don't really agree with. I think it is a fair argument to say that everyone has broken a speed limit at some point in their life, some people just haven't been caught for it yet. I got cited back in september, and I didnt say anything to the state trooper. However, i talked to a trooper i knew and he talked to the other guy and it got worked out...first thing the trooper says to me in court is...Why didnt you tell me you knew him! Everyone makes mistakes, and yeah I'm not saying everyone deserves to get off, I certainly didn't think I did which is why I chose not to mention the name. It's definately a touchy subject, but I enjoy hearing how different people would handle the same situation.