Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

View Full Version : Promotion in NYPD

Matt28
03-04-04, 07:11 PM
I know it takes 60 credits to be hired, but is there a certain amount you must have in order to be promoted up the ranks?

Jcrazy
03-04-04, 09:55 PM
Couldn't tell ya. Sorry.

cecilVA
03-05-04, 09:24 AM
From what I've heard, promotion in the NYPD is all about who you know. Literally. Its called a "hook". You need a hook in order to get detective, Sgt, ESU, etc. Not sure if there are any NYPD people on here that could give you the real scoop however.

dev666
03-07-04, 09:33 AM
i am a member of the nypd, what you have stated is of common misconception. Who you know has no bearing on rank from sergeant to captain. For sergeant i believe it is 64 college credits required and you must pass and have a high list number on the sergeant's exam. Same for lieutenant's exam but i think 90 college credits and for captain a bachelor's degree is required.

ogdogg16
03-08-04, 07:39 PM
Dev, isn't it true that for the rank of detective there is no test and is strictly merit based? I'm sure that who you know definately would help to get special assignments such as ESU or Highway. Also Dev, what precinct are you in? Any advice for someone persuing a career in the nypd? PM me if you want.

nevetsd82
10-29-04, 01:24 AM
For Sgt. the education requirement is 64 college credits.
For Lt. the education requirement is 96 college credits.
For Captain you must have a bachelor's degree.
I got this information from past promotional exam announcements.

Joeyd6
10-29-04, 06:33 PM
I will verify waht has been posted:
Sgt- you need 64 college credits...
Lt- you need 96 credits
Capatian- you need a bachelors

Detective Shield: First, a police officer and detective are the same rank in a chain of command. They are equal. Detectives are not higher in teh pecking order. To get a shield, there are two ways:
a) work in an investigative position for 18 months as a police officer and perform to basic standards. That means working as an undercover in narcotics, vice, a burglary robbery apprehension model, crime scene, auto crime unit, warrants, etc...
b) perform one huger meritious duty and you can be promoted instantly.
--> But be aware, getting into many of the units for "a" are very hard. There are very few openings. This is where "who you know" comes into play. You may have tons of qualifications, but you may not make it. Fair or not, it is the way it is.
--->There are also three pay grades for detectives. When you get your shield, you are a 3rd grade detective. You make about the same as a top pay police officer. You also work more days for that pay. Then, if you perfom well and work hard, they can promote you to 2nd grade. Again all based on merit and your boss. Some never see it. Others will after 4 or five years and breaking a huge case. They make between what a Sgt. and Lt makes, depending on OT. ($65-$75). Then, if you do a superb job and get noticed by a big fish, you may get 1st grade. It is very VERY rare and there are only a handful around. They make about $80K+. The only thing I can relate how hard it is is just like on NYPD BLue....where Sipowicz got a 1st grade after 15 years of being a detective and after breaking a major case. Is is rare if you don't have a hook.

As far as special units go. Anyone can apply to any unit once they are off probation. Everyone gets called for an interview. Who is selected is 8% of teh time based on who you know, called a "hook." You know a chief or such, it is called a "cran." You will still do the interview, but they make a call for you. Many units have very few people leaving unless they retire. So there are few openings to begin with. Add that with 100 people applying for one opening and even then, those with hooks have problems...as they determine who has the biggest one.

Hope this clarifies things. Any more questions and post away.

xmatic
10-29-04, 08:02 PM
Joey, are you looking to move up the ranks? and if so, have you been studying for the sergeants exam? I know it can be difficult studying on your own for this exam, especially with the hectic schedules we get. Can you give opinions on this? thanks...

Joeyd6
10-30-04, 09:11 PM
This job in the NYPD is not a cops jobs. You will hear a lot "This is a boss's job." Why? More money to do less work, in most cases.

When you get to a command you will have many veteran officers telling you how the department runs and how to do things. Your first few months, shut-up and watch. Ask questions. Learn what the job is about and how to do jobs. It will take you at least 2 years before it will all "click." Then do another year or two to build your foundation. Then apply for a unit and get it in it and learn. Many old timers will say this unit sucks because.....or that unit sells their sould and writes too many summonses.... Ask yourself, what did this veteran do in 16 or 17 or 18 or 19 yeasr they are their? Why are they still an officer when they could have been making $30K more as a boss? Why? I will tell you: piss poor attitude and lack of motivation! Do not get caught up in that. Apply to any unit that interests you.

I am off course looking to move up...and possibly on. Getting a detective shield is very difficult right now. Making boss is a more viable option for me. So I am studying. Remember, to get promoted, all you have to do is study. You must make time. Only 1 hour a day is all it takes if you start early enough. I am doing it on my own now and plan on a gropu of guys in the new year and then we all will be doing one of the classes.

Hope that helps!

Vlad
10-31-04, 12:47 AM
Does anyone know anything about the NYPDs Computer Investigation and Technology Unit? Who is it made up of? and what are the requirements to be a part of that unit? BS in Computer Science?

Joeyd6
10-31-04, 09:22 AM
-Civilians, Police Officers and Detectives and Sergeants, Lt's , etc... Lots of people!
-There are very few openings.
-Wide and vast knowledge of all aspects of computers from literally building one and trouble shooting equipment to programming and engineering. You don't necessarily need a BA or BS degree...but you need to prove your technical knowledge. Thus those computer schools will suffice fine if you have enough varied training and are capable of performing.

Some_God
10-31-04, 04:25 PM
Hey Joey, I got a couple of questions for you, which I hope you can answer.

1- If you become a cadet in College you get payed when you work in a precinct. What kind of work do you do? Also after you get out of college you instantly go to the acadamy and don't have to take the written exam?

2- NYPD Highway partol. Is it hard to get into that unit without a "hook"? I heard if you get in you have to write X amount of tickets in order to stay in there.

3- If you graduate the acadamy will you be confined to a "sh*t fixer" (foot post) for a while or do you get to ride in a car?

Thanks.

Joeyd6
10-31-04, 06:18 PM
Hey Joey, I got a couple of questions for you, which I hope you can answer.

1- If you become a cadet in College you get payed when you work in a precinct. What kind of work do you do? Also after you get out of college you instantly go to the acadamy and don't have to take the written exam?

2- NYPD Highway partol. Is it hard to get into that unit without a "hook"? I heard if you get in you have to write X amount of tickets in order to stay in there.

3- If you graduate the acadamy will you be confined to a "sh*t fixer" (foot post) for a while or do you get to ride in a car?

Thanks.

1) You do a lot of clerical work...typing...answering phones, filing, etc... You do have to take a tests still.

2) Highway is attainable if you write and win your movers your first five years. Be very active and do something on your own to set yourself ahead...like attend a day off seminar on accidents and stuff. There are no quotas in the NYPD but there are suggested "performance objectives" you must meet. Part of Higway, actually a lot of it is enforcing motor vehicle violations. That measn summonses...and you should be winning in court writing so many!

3) 85% end up on a fixer for at least 6 months. Depending where you go, you may not see a car for years...such as Mid-Town Manhattan. Guys with 10 yeasr on are still on a foot post. They only turn out a few cars...most posts are foot. Others you will be in a car in a about 6 months.

Some_God
11-01-04, 05:11 PM
Thanks a lot man!... your a great help.

NYPD2005
11-03-04, 04:12 AM
2 more questions for the master, Joey!

1)What is the process to get into some of NYPD's specialized units like SCUBA and Harbor? I have a great maritime background, would that help at all?

2)If you wanted to get into a unit like hate crimes or something similar, do you need a "hook" or can you just apply and wait for your time?

Thanks in advance!

Joeyd6
11-03-04, 07:13 PM
1) Harbor is a HUGE hook. HUGE HOOK and a captains license and marine vessel knowledge like engine repair. No matter what you know or have....HUGE HOOK. SCUBA is possible...but the physical exam is very difficult. Navy divers have failed it. It is no joke. You need to pass that. They have an announcement...have 40 or so apply...and 4 or 5 pass the physical test. Then there is a written and they drop one. Then 3 go to teh interview for 1 slot.... If nobody has a hook...one gets in. Somebody has a hook....well....try next time.

2) These units usually require you have your detective shield to get in. Usually. There are a few exceptions. Getting in is possible with the shield. But getting the shield is the problem...

Hope that helps! Reps are appreciated!

-Joe

baychilla
11-05-04, 03:52 AM
Joey -

You mentioned that one way to get a dets shield is to work an investigative assignment for 18 months. Is it common for someone to be transferred out on say the 17th month?

Joeyd6
11-05-04, 06:15 PM
LOL...it has happened....some after 6 months of work....soem at 12 months...others at 14 or 15 or even 17.

NYPDHopeful
04-26-05, 09:41 PM
so after you pass your Sgt exam and you receive a list number...what happens next...and is the process the same for Lt. and captain?...

Joeyd6
04-27-05, 11:47 AM
You are on a list......when they need more boss's, they have "B-Mock". Typically it is 30 off the list every month for training for Sgt. You are in Sgt. School, called B-Mock for 4 weeks. They you get oficially promoted and off to your new command. Same deal with LT and Capt. Any promotions above Capt. are based on who you know, and what you have done.

NyPd Sgt ALU
05-08-05, 10:53 AM
Any promotions above Capt. are based on who you know, and what you have done.

which i will change when i become Police commisioner :)

Joeyd6
05-08-05, 12:59 PM
I can't wait for that day Sgt! For once...this will be on the level!

Chgojock007
05-08-05, 01:51 PM
Hey, what does it mean to "mutual" within the NYPD?

Thanks

Joeyd6
05-09-05, 01:37 AM
Means you find somebody at the place you want to go, who is willing to go where you are....body-for-body switch.....you "mutually" agree to exchange precincts. But....your CO must sign-off on it and it is not good for special units.

Chgojock007
05-09-05, 08:21 AM
Thanks, Joey!

NYPDHopeful
05-09-05, 02:49 PM
hey maybe we should all keep in contact in case we ever want to do "mutuals" in the future lol...

Chgojock007
05-09-05, 08:08 PM
Good idea...lol. ;)

SeVere
05-09-05, 08:11 PM
hey maybe we should all keep in contact in case we ever want to do "mutuals" in the future lol...

For the love of God, you are P.P.O.'s you shouldn't have the right to "mutual!"

LOL.

Joeyd6
05-09-05, 09:50 PM
And they don't!!!!!!!!!!!! They have to wait till they are off probation and by then they will have 2 years on...and by then, most of the crackerjacks will be in plain clothes,

nypdjan05
05-10-05, 12:03 AM
Is there any kind of experience or trades they look for for units like E.S.U. and K9 unit or does it all depend on if you have a hook and if you worked in a busy precint

NyPd Sgt ALU
05-10-05, 10:01 AM
Hey, what does it mean to "mutual" within the NYPD?

Thanks
i wish i could do a mutual with a guy who is retiring ill take his place in retirement while he can run around like a jack *** and finish up my sentance i mean time

Joeyd6
05-10-05, 05:29 PM
Is there any kind of experience or trades they look for for units like E.S.U. and K9 unit or does it all depend on if you have a hook and if you worked in a busy precint
Guys and gals!

Please do not take this as being rude, or inconsiderate or anything else. But, stop asking about getting into special units!!!! You are wasting your time. Here is why:

1) YOU MAY NOT APPLY FOR A SPECIAL UNIT UNTIL YOU HAVE 5 YEARS on PATROL! That means 5 years on patrol.....after 6 months in the academy.

2) And since most are not even hired yet, you are looking at least 6 years ahead! The NYPD is always changing. So what works today, might not be good next year or even next week.

3) You can not do the job in these units, if you can not think and work like a cop. And that does not come from a year on patrol. It takes years to be able to get the job under grasp. That is why you are a rookie for years 1 and 2....a cop for 3 and 4, and then, at 5, considered a "seasoned veteran."

Learn the job first. Then worry about the units later. Doing anything else is like a 15 year old going into a Porsche dealer and expecting the salesman to take him seriously when he says "I want that car." Start with the foundation: geting hired and passing the academy. The learn to drive by doing the job and doing it well for a few years. The go look at "upgrading." But no need to focus on something out of your reach now...focus on what is important: passing the academy!

JoEy BaTTs
05-11-05, 12:39 AM
hey, if I begin to work in new york as a PO and want to move to california, will they transfer me ?

unhcj
05-11-05, 01:48 AM
hey, if I begin to work in new york as a PO and want to move to california, will they transfer me ?

Yeah I am sure NYPD would be more than happy to transfer you to the NYPD in California! :D

Hoffa218
05-11-05, 12:21 PM
1) YOU MAY NOT APPLY FOR A SPECIAL UNIT UNTIL YOU HAVE 5 YEARS on PATROL! That means 5 years on patrol.....after 6 months in the academy.

WHAT!?! :eek: You mean I can't be a Harbor-ESU-Aviation-Narcotics-Range Instructing Detective(did I forget any...lol) when I get out of FTU like they show in the videos at the academy? Gosh Darnit! <massive sarcasm>

If you can handle being a footpost walking, detail flying, tracer van summons slave because the CO's numbers are down, only get seat in a car when a steady guy bangs out sick cop for those five years, still want to bust your ***, and make a couple of friends with gold on their shoulders, a special detail could be in your future! <sarcasm still going strong> :)

In reality, its not that bleak an outlook for someone looking to get on the job. It's a big job. I was in the city for a few years, adopted a philosophy of 'study up or study out' and now I'm essentially an armed golf caddy making LT's pay to be a PO in the northern 'burbs. Just know what you're getting into, and most of all MAKE THE JOB WORK FOR YOU!

Superman
05-12-05, 11:54 AM
nevermind

toastmaster
05-12-05, 04:44 PM
nevermind

10-4

NyPd Sgt ALU
05-14-05, 06:21 PM
just remember SGT is the WORST rank on this job i can tell you all this from 5 years of experience of being a SGT. you may think being a cop is the worst but once you get promoted to SGT then you realize that now you are responsible for a squad of 10 or 12 or whatever number you have. and when one of your guys screw up guess who gets a nasty hit called "FAIL TO SUPERVISE" the SGT because they will blame you for not being able to watch over every single guy in your squad every second of the tour. i once lost 7 days of vacation because one of my guys decided to go out of the command to get food and unfortunately he got caught. If you have a squad full of good guys the rank can be good very good but if you have a few screw ups being a sgt can be torture. thats why i locked myself in a room for 6 months and studied for the LT exam a few yrs ago. thank god i did very well