Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

Chris6720
04-04-12, 05:02 AM
If you have a Class D Felony (Forgery and Pocession) and FTA for Sentencing how far will California Extradite from typically? How do they normally issue their warrants? Surrounding States or Nationwide Extradation? Is their a way to find out for sure? Can you call a Police Department and ask them to look at the warrant in NCIC? Thank you

TEXASCOP
04-04-12, 06:04 AM
From my experience, people I have come across with felony warrants from other states, the state holding the warrant has always extradited. Police departments may tell you that you have a warrant but they will not tell you the extent of the extradition. The county that issued the felony warrant normally will extradite nation wide.

I don't think the US has extradition with most of Africa.... Good luck out there on the Serengeti.

Chris6720
04-04-12, 06:16 AM
Thank you so much for your answer. This is a very informative website and I did not realize that cops could be so helpfull. This makes me feel much differently about police officers. (Much more positively I should say!) I have been reading that many warrants they do not extradite for but maybe that is for less serious offenses.

marinepilot
04-04-12, 07:32 AM
From my experience, people I have come across with felony warrants from other states, the state holding the warrant has always extradited. Police departments may tell you that you have a warrant but they will not tell you the extent of the extradition. The county that issued the felony warrant normally will extradite nation wide.

I don't think the US has extradition with most of Africa.... Good luck out there on the Serengeti.

Texas, it doesn't sound like he's got a "warrant" tho, because he failed to show for a SENTENCING hearing, which leads me to believe he's already been convicted of the felony.

Therefore, I would say to you, Chris, you're not looking at a warrant for your arrest for prosecution, you are an ESCAPED FELON and living on borrowed time. If the conviction has already been handed down and you were just waiting on sentencing, I wouldn't be surprised if they extradite you from wherever you are in the U.S. It's not like their bringing you back for the possibility of a conviction after a trial, they are bringing you back because you're a convicted felon on the lamb and you must serve your just sentence. (Which no doubt will now be great due to the fact that you've run.)

Chris6720
04-04-12, 08:27 AM
From What I understand a plea bargain was offered and a no contest plea was entered with sentencing to take place a month later. He left the state but his court date is still a few weeks away. I am trying to talk him into coming back to serve his time which is only several months but he seems to believe they wont get him in the east coast. I will tell him differently. Thank you. So what would be issued? A fugitive from justice warrant and a FTA if he does not appear on his court date?

deputywave
04-04-12, 08:38 AM
he seems to believe they wont get him in the east coast.

He will be unpleasantly surprised.

Chris6720
04-04-12, 11:38 AM
I was wondering if anyone on here works in LA County Jail? The reason I ask is my friend is going to be sentenced to two years state prison for a non-violent case (Forgery and Pocession) and from what I have read he will serve that in LA County Jail. He will get 24 months at half time with 1 1/2 months credit leaving 10 1/2 months to serve but I have heard that inmates are not even doing their full time. I am asking this because he is scared to turn himself in and I am trying to talk him into it. How much time do you think he will serve? He has no violence on his record, only white collar crimes? Do you think he will do the entire 10 1/2 months or possibly be released early and do you know of any programs he can sign up for to help him get out early? Thank you

Samuel
04-04-12, 12:03 PM
Slap your buddy upside the head. It's either take care of things right now or forever be looking over your shoulder. If he turns himself in now, he can make preparations and make adjustments. When he gets caught later, it won't be anywhere near as "convenient"...

retdetsgt
04-04-12, 01:20 PM
Slap your buddy upside the head. It's either take care of things right now or forever be looking over your shoulder. If he turns himself in now, he can make preparations and make adjustments. When he gets caught later, it won't be anywhere near as "convenient"...
Cuz those kinds of warrants never go away.....

retdetsgt
04-04-12, 01:21 PM
I was wondering if anyone on here works in LA County Jail? The reason I ask is my friend is going to be sentenced to two years state prison for a non-violent case (Forgery and Pocession) and from what I have read he will serve that in LA County Jail. He will get 24 months at half time with 1 1/2 months credit leaving 10 1/2 months to serve but I have heard that inmates are not even doing their full time. I am asking this because he is scared to turn himself in and I am trying to talk him into it. How much time do you think he will serve? He has no violence on his record, only white collar crimes? Do you think he will do the entire 10 1/2 months or possibly be released early and do you know of any programs he can sign up for to help him get out early? Thank you

You seem a lot more worried about it than your "friend" does......