Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

MikeG
03-09-12, 01:30 PM
Is there any state's that still have laws about refueling cars with the engine running? In AZ I fill my car up with the engine and A/C on all the time when there's kids in it (and they are in car seats they can't get out of - no way do I even leave the car running with the rugrats moving about). I also do it only if it's pay at the pump so kids and fueling aren't left unattended and normally I stand at the kids door next to fuel filler Fuel door is on drivers side and a passenger side fuel filler would make me .

My thoughts/reasoning: The prohibition of fueling while running is from the double clutch days when a car could slip into gear accidentally while fueling, whence the need to shut the engine off. Also, the genius move of putting the tail pipe on the opposite side of the fuel filler makes drips starting a fire not common (and shutting off engine wouldn't prevent it). Thirdly, the action of starting the car with the starter and starter relay being activated is more likely to generate a hazardous spark than just a running engine and fourth, airplanes that run on 100octane low lead fuel can be hot fueled, just have to stand away from propeller and they run using dual-magneto sparking nightmares. I make sure the filler nozzle is properly grounded to chassis of car but that spark is an issue whether it's running or not. I do turn it off if attendant asks me without giving the above speech but more likely than not it's too hot for them to bother coming over.

So is it illegal anywhere or is just a deprecated warning sign? Is there some other hidden danger I am missing?

Cat_Doc
03-09-12, 01:41 PM
I don't think it is actually "illegal" in Arizona. Simply a warning note at the pumps.

I'm not even sure if it was ever against the law, at least not in the last 34 years that I've been sworn?

retdetsgt
03-09-12, 01:45 PM
In Oregon, the state fire marshal enforces things around gas pumps, like prohibiting self service. I do believe there is a state fire regulation against it.

Cat_Doc
03-09-12, 01:54 PM
It is against the law to self service in Oregon? :smilielol5:

Switchback
03-09-12, 02:09 PM
It was also against the law to self service in Jersey. I did not like it when I first moved there, but came to really love it. My wife liked it from day one. :)

Cat_Doc
03-09-12, 03:09 PM
Strange, these laws against self servicing are in what I thought were liberal states? LOL

MikeG
03-09-12, 05:14 PM
Strange, these laws against self servicing are in what I thought were liberal states? LOL

It employs the Heroin addicts.

Think Great Depression with hole digging crews being followed by hole filling crews and you see the logic.

retdetsgt
03-09-12, 05:38 PM
It employs the Heroin addicts.

In all my years, I don't think I've seen a true heroin addict with any job.....

With the job market as it is, those jobs are in high demand...

retdetsgt
03-09-12, 06:09 PM
It was also against the law to self service in Jersey. I did not like it when I first moved there, but came to really love it. My wife liked it from day one. :)

It's women here who write letters to the editors whenever removing the requirement is on the ballot. I doubt my wife, who grew up here would have any idea how to do it.

It's fine most of the time, but now and then I'm in a hurry and have to wait for the kid to get to me.

mcsap
03-09-12, 06:56 PM
I got gas in NJ last month and the kid was busy so I just pumped it , paid him and went on my way. He didn't complain. And gas is .15-.20c a gallon cheaper in Jersey than in PA !!!

retdetsgt
03-09-12, 07:02 PM
I got gas in NJ last month and the kid was busy so I just pumped it , paid him and went on my way. He didn't complain. And gas is .15-.20c a gallon cheaper in Jersey than in PA !!!

Here, they go ape-sh!t if you do that. The station can get a pretty hefty fine if they allow it.

Cat_Doc
03-09-12, 07:55 PM
Do you guys have any bikini full service stations during the summer? Do they wash your windshield for you? If so, will they get mad at you if you pull in just to get the windshield washed and don't buy gas? Just sayin'.

retdetsgt
03-09-12, 08:50 PM
Do you guys have any bikini full service stations during the summer? Do they wash your windshield for you? If so, will they get mad at you if you pull in just to get the windshield washed and don't buy gas? Just sayin'.

Wanna retire, move up here, hire some wimmen and start one. We can be partners, if one of us doesn't eat up all the profits....

Cat_Doc
03-09-12, 09:00 PM
Wanna retire, move up here, hire some wimmen and start one. We can be partners, if one of us doesn't eat up all the profits....

Sounds great. I just want to be in charge of employee discipline.

retdetsgt
03-09-12, 09:13 PM

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll268/jimbellah/funny-dog-pictures-oops-sorry-it-sounded-like-you-were-hurting-her.jpg

CPL1897
03-09-12, 09:53 PM
Our Department policy is to turn the engine off, appearantly a study was done and during "laboratory conditions" there was a low percentage of fuel fume ignition from "static charge" from "radio waves", "cellphones" etc. So they say turn off the car and not to use our radio or ANSWER an INCOMING cellphone call (appearantly its ok if your already on the phone).

Point is I dont know what the "laboratory conditions" were. And the rules make no sense to me, Its just basically Nuetons Law (what can go wrong, will go wrong) in their eyes.

There is a chance of static ignition (theres plenty of youtube videos and actual evidence of this) but I personally dont think it makes a difference if the car is running.

Just about everything a person does in life has some danger. You can slip in the shower and die from head trauma or get struck by lightning, but you have a better chance of winning the
lotto than this happening or catching on fire at a fuel pump when your engine is running.

On a serious note, if this does happen, leave the
nozzle in the fuel fill hole and turn
off the pump and RUN...

retdetsgt
03-09-12, 10:15 PM
I saw a Myth Busters where they tried to ignite a gas tank with a cell phone and couldn't do it. We used our radios all the time while fueling up.

Sometimes someone in a command position gets a wild hair and idea of theirs becomes the truth. Or perhaps they start believing the urban myth emails they get.

Ispbear
03-10-12, 01:31 AM
Is this a newer car? Doesn't it trip your check engine light when you do that with the computer thinking there's a vacuum leak. There's also a possibility of messing up you Oxygen sensor.

MikeG
03-10-12, 03:48 AM
Is this a newer car? Doesn't it trip your check engine light when you do that with the computer thinking there's a vacuum leak. There's also a possibility of messing up you Oxygen sensor.
This is a 2004 Chevy. No engine light yet.

MikeG
03-10-12, 03:53 AM
It's women here who write letters to the editors whenever removing the requirement is on the ballot. I doubt my wife, who grew up here would have any idea how to do it.

It's fine most of the time, but now and then I'm in a hurry and have to wait for the kid to get to me.

Apparently you will need a training director too.

Training might take a while with all the repetition and testing required.

retdetsgt
03-10-12, 06:48 AM
Apparently you will need a training director too.

Training might take a while with all the repetition and testing required.

Let's not make Greg wardrobe assistant.

marinepilot
03-10-12, 08:51 AM
Let's not make Greg wardrobe assistant.

Why not?? He'd train them all to work without pants!! :biggrin5:

retdetsgt
03-10-12, 09:19 AM
Why not?? He'd train them all to work without pants!! :biggrin5:

Excellent point.

Blackgoat06
03-10-12, 01:56 PM
Excellent point.

I found a plan B!

MikeG
03-10-12, 03:35 PM
I found a plan B!

Officially, it's two plans. Plan T and Plan A.