Police Officer Preparation & Law Enforcement Resource - Archive

The REAL POLICE FORUM is a leading community of police officers and law enforcement professionals. The forum includes police chat and restricted areas for police officers only. The ask-a-cop area allows you to ask questions to real police officers and only verified police are allowed to respond. REALPOLICE.com also features law enforcement jobs, news, training materials and expert articles.

Spccmdd87
01-23-12, 06:43 PM
I am interested in joinging the NYPD. I am 24, I have 60+ credits very clean record except one small glitch. When I was 21 I was charged with DUI. Case was Nolle Prosequi. How much is this going to hurt me during the hiring process? I reside in Baltimore now, reason for joining NYPD is because my fiance is taking a teaching position in NY for the pay increase. I have tried a very minor drug before nothing serious or a cronic use. Give me your input I would be very appreciative.

Thanks

McNulty
01-23-12, 09:08 PM
What were the circumstances of it being nolle prossed?

Spccmdd87
01-23-12, 11:45 PM
I hit reply on my phone McNulty let me know if you received my response.

McNulty
01-25-12, 12:02 AM
Did you PM me? I don't have any from you.

Spccmdd87
01-25-12, 12:32 AM
I had to take drug and alcohol classes, which I completed before court, and parole and probation. No flaws with either.

cntryboy0531
01-25-12, 12:49 AM
What drug? What Charge? How was it handled by the court.

Here with a DUI arrest and Dope arrest (regardless of court disposition) we would not hire you.

McNulty
01-25-12, 01:07 AM
I had to take drug and alcohol classes, which I completed before court, and parole and probation. No flaws with either.
If you were placed on parole or probation for the charge, it was not nolle prossed.

Spccmdd87
01-25-12, 01:20 AM
There was no drug charge. Where did anybody get a drug charge from anything in this post?? And yes it was nolle prosequi, here is all the information. This is copy and pasted right from the District Courts Public Records.
Case Information
Go Back
Court System: DISTRICT COURT FOR BALTIMORE COUNTY (ESSEX) - TRAFFIC SYSTEM
Citation Number: 000000FW07328Case Status:CLOSED CASE
Violation Date: 07/24/2009 Violation Time: 01:18 AM
Violation County: BALTIMORE COUNTY (ESSEX)
District Code: 08 Location Code: 05

AgencyName:PRECINCT 12 (NORTH POINT)
Officer Name:PRENDERGAST, M
Officer ID:3342

Charge Information
Charge: Article:TASec:21Sub-Sec:902Para:B1Code:
Description: (DRIVING, ATTEMPTING TO DRIVE) VEH. WHILE IMPAIRED BY ALCOHOL

Location Stopped: WISE AVE / WOODLAND DR
Contributed to Accident?: NO Personal Injury?: NO

Fine: 0 Related Citation Number: 0FW07329
Vehicle Tag: 58V603 State: MD Vehicle Description: 99CHEV

Disposition Information
Plea: OTHER PLEA
Disposition: NOLLE PROSEQUI
Disposition Date: 11/18/2009

Contributed To Accident: NO Personal Injury?: NO

Sentence Date: 11/18/2009
Sentence Time: Yrs:00Mos:00Days:000
Suspended Time: Yrs:00Mos:00Days:000
Costs: Fine: 0 CourtCost: 0 CICF: 0
Suspended: Fine: 0 CourtCost: 0 CICF Cost: 0

cntryboy0531
01-25-12, 01:33 AM
There was no drug charge. Where did anybody get a drug charge from anything in this post?? And yes it was nolle prosequi, here is all the information. This is copy and pasted right from the District Courts Public Records.
Case Information
Go Back
Court System: DISTRICT COURT FOR BALTIMORE COUNTY (ESSEX) - TRAFFIC SYSTEM
Citation Number: 000000FW07328Case Status:CLOSED CASE
Violation Date: 07/24/2009 Violation Time: 01:18 AM
Violation County: BALTIMORE COUNTY (ESSEX)
District Code: 08 Location Code: 05

AgencyName:PRECINCT 12 (NORTH POINT)
Officer Name:PRENDERGAST, M
Officer ID:3342

Charge Information
Charge: Article:TASec:21Sub-Sec:902Para:B1Code:
Description: (DRIVING, ATTEMPTING TO DRIVE) VEH. WHILE IMPAIRED BY ALCOHOL

Location Stopped: WISE AVE / WOODLAND DR
Contributed to Accident?: NO Personal Injury?: NO

Fine: 0 Related Citation Number: 0FW07329
Vehicle Tag: 58V603 State: MD Vehicle Description: 99CHEV

Disposition Information
Plea: OTHER PLEA
Disposition: NOLLE PROSEQUI
Disposition Date: 11/18/2009

Contributed To Accident: NO Personal Injury?: NO

Sentence Date: 11/18/2009
Sentence Time: Yrs:00Mos:00Days:000
Suspended Time: Yrs:00Mos:00Days:000
Costs: Fine: 0 CourtCost: 0 CICF: 0
Suspended: Fine: 0 CourtCost: 0 CICF Cost: 0

My mistake, I thought you mentioned a drug charge. But you said you tried a minor drug. What was the drug? When did you use it? How much? What were the circumstances around it?

And while the court system Nolle Prosequi the charge after you completed probation, etc, it still means you made a plea deal, and they required you to complete probation, etc in order for them to drop charges. For general employment out in the private sector that doesn't mean anything, for a job in LE, it's still looked at and scrutinized.

Spccmdd87
01-25-12, 09:02 AM
It was pot back in tenth grade, I did it maybe four times. This was ten years ago I haven't done any illegal drugs since. As far as drinkIng goes I may have go out and have drinks once a month. Ever since the DUI I really don't have much interest.

Do you or anybody personally know an officer that has a prior DUI?

McNulty
01-25-12, 10:19 AM
Yes, I know of one. He got a DUI over 10 years prior to getting a police job. He was able to show the department that he really changed his life around since getting the DUI. He had been a firefighter with the same city for a number of years, doesn't drink anymore, got married, adopted a child - all signs pointing to the fact that he'd matured.

Spccmdd87
01-25-12, 10:47 AM
Well by the five year mark I will be turning 27. I am very mature I just don't have a wife yet (soon to be) but I need a career and a stable job before kIds. I bartend for four years on the books, everything else has been under the table. My father owned a restaurant and a contracting business. Will that hurt me? The bar closed I worked at that was the reason for leaving.

McNulty
01-25-12, 10:24 PM
Well by the five year mark I will be turning 27. I am very mature I just don't have a wife yet (soon to be) but I need a career and a stable job before kIds. I bartend for four years on the books, everything else has been under the table. My father owned a restaurant and a contracting business. Will that hurt me? The bar closed I worked at that was the reason for leaving.
You're going to have trouble getting onto a police department with a 3-year-old DUI. Not sure about NY, but in my state you are statutorily prohibited from being a police officer with a DUI conviction in the last 10 years.

cntryboy0531
01-26-12, 02:08 PM
My department would probably not hire someone with a DUI on their record. We won't even look at an application unless 5 years has elapsed from the time of conviction or arrest. No one I know of has one on their record and works here. Here if you are picked up for DUI after you are hired, it's nearly always an automatic firing. Couldn't imagine us picking someone up with a DUI arrest or conviction already on their record.

Spccmdd87
01-26-12, 02:35 PM
Well I appreciate the info. With such a competitive market right now I am turning my interest to the Baltimore city fire department. I feel I will have a better chance there. If I get my foot in the door, the fire depArtment should be a great help on resume.

I would appreciate your outlook on that too when you get a chance.

McNulty
01-26-12, 05:04 PM
My department would probably not hire someone with a DUI on their record. We won't even look at an application unless 5 years has elapsed from the time of conviction or arrest. No one I know of has one on their record and works here. Here if you are picked up for DUI after you are hired, it's nearly always an automatic firing. Couldn't imagine us picking someone up with a DUI arrest or conviction already on their record.Hopefully you're only firing them if they're convicted.

cntryboy0531
01-27-12, 01:26 PM
Hopefully you're only firing them if they're convicted.

No they are usually fired prior to conviction. Either they blow over the limit, or they refuse and their license is gone for a year. Either way they'll be canned before it goes to court. Most will resign prior to being fired. We usually get one or two arrests a year unfortunately, and they usually always end up this way. I don't agree with it, but I'm just a peon at the bottom of the pole.

Spccmdd87
01-27-12, 01:50 PM
[QUOTE=cntryboy0531;1153648]No they are usually fired prior to conviction. Either they blow over the limit, or they refuse and their license is gone for a year. Either way they'll be canned before it goes to court. Most will resign prior to being fired. We usually get one or two arrests a year unfortunately, and they usually always end up this way. I don't agree with it, but I'm just a peon at the bottom of the pole.[/QUOTE

So you don't agree with them being fired? But you are basically saying I don't stand a chance in law enforcement? You are kind of contradicting yourself. Or am I reading this wrong?

McNulty
01-27-12, 02:26 PM
No they are usually fired prior to conviction. Either they blow over the limit, or they refuse and their license is gone for a year. Either way they'll be canned before it goes to court. Most will resign prior to being fired. We usually get one or two arrests a year unfortunately, and they usually always end up this way. I don't agree with it, but I'm just a peon at the bottom of the pole.
So much for innocent until proven guilty.

So you don't agree with them being fired? But you are basically saying I don't stand a chance in law enforcement? You are kind of contradicting yourself. Or am I reading this wrong?
I don't agree with people being fired for being suspected of committing a crime that they haven't been found guilty of in a court of law, no.

You're in a different boat, you've admitted to guilt and accepted an alternative sentencing program (probation). There's a difference between trying to get a job and already having that job and trying to keep it. Obviously, the threshold for misconduct or alleged misconduct will be much lower for the person who doesn't even work there yet, especially considering how easy it is to find another applicant who doesn't have a prior DUI. It's not that easy when someone's already worked there for some time. Not to mention whatever legal employment rights you may have.

cntryboy0531
01-27-12, 02:32 PM
[QUOTE=cntryboy0531;1153648]No they are usually fired prior to conviction. Either they blow over the limit, or they refuse and their license is gone for a year. Either way they'll be canned before it goes to court. Most will resign prior to being fired. We usually get one or two arrests a year unfortunately, and they usually always end up this way. I don't agree with it, but I'm just a peon at the bottom of the pole.[/QUOTE

You're reading it wrong. I am telling you, that with my department, you would not stand a chance at being hired. I don't make the hiring decisions, I can just tell you from experience (and agency policy) that we don't hire folks with prior DUI's, and generally will fire officers who have been charged with DUI, without an adjudication of guilt first.

I don't agree with firing someone, without first having their case adjudicated. And even then, when an agency has invested both time and money in training, and retaining someone who may otherwise be a stellar officer, a first time DUI should "probably" not be a career killer for someone already here if they have an otherwise stellar career, and has otherwise done great work. Unfortunately this job can, and has, lead otherwise good officers to find "help" in the bottom of a bottle of booze. Administratively they should be held accountable, and of course criminally, but I think treatment should be evaluated IN ADDITION to those penalities, instead of "sorry about your luck, but goodbye" to someone who has given a fair amount of themselves to both this job and their communities.

There is a significant difference between that circumstance, and "I got a DUI a few years ago, can I become a cop now?". Two completely difference situations. Other departments will hire someone with a prior DUI, ours will not.