Police Jobs
RealPolice Forums
Police Gear
Police Agencies

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bdbaskar is offline Veteran Member bdbaskar has a reputation beyond repute bdbaskar has a reputation beyond repute bdbaskar has a reputation beyond repute bdbaskar has a reputation beyond repute bdbaskar has a reputation beyond repute bdbaskar has a reputation beyond repute bdbaskar has a reputation beyond repute bdbaskar has a reputation beyond repute bdbaskar has a reputation beyond repute bdbaskar has a reputation beyond repute bdbaskar has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO

leather vs. nylon duty gear

O.K. ya'll, I have been sitting here at this stupid computer for longer than I care to admit looking for a discussion on leather vs. nylon duty gear. I didn't want to hear DC Law say, "the search button is your friend." But my 7 month old daughter is wide awake at 10 pm with my wife ready to go to sleep; therefore I can't stick around rp and play anymore. So I have to ask the question.

I have to provide my own duty gear. I was out pricing brand new gear today. :eek: I had no idea it cost so stinking much. I don't want to get into a lot of money and realize later I wasted it.

I know that it has a lot to do with personal preference, but since I have no experience I need some help. So I am looking just for the pros and cons, what you like, what you don't.

I met a former deputy from the department today and he offered to sell me his used gear. Again, since I am new I don't know if this is a good idea or not and how much $ is too much.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

g32499 is offline Senior Member g32499 has much to be proud of g32499 has much to be proud of g32499 has much to be proud of g32499 has much to be proud of g32499 has much to be proud of g32499 has much to be proud of g32499 has much to be proud of g32499 has much to be proud of
    Verified LEO
    Nylon
    pros-lightweight, less expensive, don't need to polish
    cons-hard to break in

Leather
    Pros-once broken in speed out of the holster, durability, options available
    cons-need to polish(unless you are brass, then it should look like new forever)
    heavier, harder to clean properly(can't toss it in the wash although it wipes off better than nylon)

Rad Diver is offline Who's yer daddy? Rad Diver has a reputation beyond repute Rad Diver has a reputation beyond repute Rad Diver has a reputation beyond repute Rad Diver has a reputation beyond repute Rad Diver has a reputation beyond repute Rad Diver has a reputation beyond repute Rad Diver has a reputation beyond repute Rad Diver has a reputation beyond repute Rad Diver has a reputation beyond repute Rad Diver has a reputation beyond repute Rad Diver has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Verified LEO
    Have you checked out ebay? Most agencies will proved all of your gear. I wear leather and love it.
    Drive it, Like you stole it!!

Darin is offline Jacked up on Mt. Deeeewww Darin has a reputation beyond repute Darin has a reputation beyond repute Darin has a reputation beyond repute Darin has a reputation beyond repute Darin has a reputation beyond repute Darin has a reputation beyond repute Darin has a reputation beyond repute Darin has a reputation beyond repute Darin has a reputation beyond repute Darin has a reputation beyond repute Darin has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L3
    Verified LEO
    IMHO nylon looks cheap, tacky and unprofessional. Leather looks much better.
    Sixburgh
    6 time Super Bowl Champions

They were who we thought they were.

Playoffs?? Playoffs!!??? Don't talk about PLAYOFFS!!!??

ChesCopPodz is offline Verifier ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute ChesCopPodz has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    If money's tight, you gotta do what you gotta do. A lot of places that don't issue gear give a clothing allowance that is nowhere near enough for everything at once, or make the officer buy everything on their own. If the cost is the issue (which it is for a lot of new guys) a used belt isn't a bad idea. As long as the thing isn't falling apart, it will do for now. Galls sells a complete duty rig minus the holster for $145. Cheaper stuff, but works with a budget. As you save up more money or when the next year's clothing allowance comes in, get something better. You can always slowly switch out gear if it looks similar as well. Next month get a new belt and switch, the next month a mag pouch to switch, etc. My local police supply store has a bin full of used leather gear. I saw holsters, belt keepers, mag pouches and handcuff cases for up to 5 dollars. They were well worn and the finish was wearing off but I tested a couple of the holsters (Gould and Goodrich retention level 2) and they worked fine.

Now as to the issue of leather vs nylon. Ideally I would pick the nylon with the leather look-alike finish (some call it pleather). It is lighter than leather which is better for you in the long run, and it doesn't look tacky like plain nylon does.
    Pittsburgh Pirates- 1st place NL Central 7/15/11

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction, those bastards wont get away this time

An amateur will train until they get it right. A professional will train until they can't get it wrong.

Ranger__101 is offline Banned Ranger__101 has a reputation beyond repute Ranger__101 has a reputation beyond repute Ranger__101 has a reputation beyond repute Ranger__101 has a reputation beyond repute Ranger__101 has a reputation beyond repute Ranger__101 has a reputation beyond repute Ranger__101 has a reputation beyond repute Ranger__101 has a reputation beyond repute Ranger__101 has a reputation beyond repute Ranger__101 has a reputation beyond repute Ranger__101 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    The other thing you need to look at is what is the uniform policy.

Most departments has a policy of leather or nylon, so before you purchase make sure you know what's required so your not needed to buy anouther set right away.

michiganstud is offline exhumed from the grave michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    I wear both. High gloss leather for regular duty. Bianchi Accumold for bike patrol.

If you are going to go nylong DON'T go cheap. You won't like it and will wear out really fast. If you get nylon get accumold or anything "molded", it will fit your equipment better.

IMO - there isn't that big of a weight difference between leather and nylon. Nylon has its place, its good for tactical things but not for duty use. It looks cheap and unprofessional.

Go to www.reddiamondonline.com

Great prices and EXCELLENT shipping costs.

"ching ching, pull it over buddy. You're under arrest...get in the basket." ~ Super Six 5

acreature is offline Do work Son! acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute acreature has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    I have leather... want Nylon.

Less weight and less noise (squeak squeak squeak)

DeltaV is offline Veteran Member DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute DeltaV has a reputation beyond repute
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    I agree that leather looks a lot better than nylon. Unless on a specialty unit, everyone at my department wears a 'class A' uniform while working. We now issue Bianchi Accumold gear to wear, and I just don't think it looks right with the uniform. Now if we were allowed to wear a 'class B' uniform, I think it would be more appropriate.

The Sheriff's Officer here uses the imitation leather (Uncle Mike's, I believe), and I think that looks a lot better with the class A uniform.

Valor55 is offline Stercus accidit Valor55 has disabled reputation
    Supporting Member L2
    Supporting Member L4
    Verified LEO
    We are looking at new gear and there is a nylon gear set called "mirage" I think. It looks like leather but it's nylon and has all the benefits of nylon. I've never seen it personally but that's what I've been told...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Bearcat06 is offline Banned Bearcat06 has a reputation beyond repute Bearcat06 has a reputation beyond repute Bearcat06 has a reputation beyond repute Bearcat06 has a reputation beyond repute Bearcat06 has a reputation beyond repute Bearcat06 has a reputation beyond repute Bearcat06 has a reputation beyond repute Bearcat06 has a reputation beyond repute Bearcat06 has a reputation beyond repute Bearcat06 has a reputation beyond repute Bearcat06 has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    I have both. I wear nylon for duty and wear leather for special stuff like court, funerals, or when I am doing stuff that I want to look more professional.
    I have Bianchi Accumold for nylon and use a combo of Bianchi leather for the other belt.

bdbaskar is offline Veteran Member bdbaskar has a reputation beyond repute bdbaskar has a reputation beyond repute bdbaskar has a reputation beyond repute bdbaskar has a reputation beyond repute bdbaskar has a reputation beyond repute bdbaskar has a reputation beyond repute bdbaskar has a reputation beyond repute bdbaskar has a reputation beyond repute bdbaskar has a reputation beyond repute bdbaskar has a reputation beyond repute bdbaskar has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Thanks for all your help

michiganstud is offline exhumed from the grave michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute michiganstud has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Valor55
    We are looking at new gear and there is a nylon gear set called "mirage" I think. It looks like leather but it's nylon and has all the benefits of nylon. I've never seen it personally but that's what I've been told...

Mirage is not bad stuff. I have a few peices of it on my belt in clarino finish. Its light and durable.

"ching ching, pull it over buddy. You're under arrest...get in the basket." ~ Super Six 5

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by acreature
    I have leather... want Nylon.

Less weight and less noise (squeak squeak squeak)

I've said it before here, change yer underbelt! I wear a nylon velcro underbelt from UM.

Squeeks no more!

Johninaustin is offline Veteran Member Johninaustin has a reputation beyond repute Johninaustin has a reputation beyond repute Johninaustin has a reputation beyond repute Johninaustin has a reputation beyond repute Johninaustin has a reputation beyond repute Johninaustin has a reputation beyond repute Johninaustin has a reputation beyond repute Johninaustin has a reputation beyond repute Johninaustin has a reputation beyond repute Johninaustin has a reputation beyond repute Johninaustin has a reputation beyond repute
    Verified LEO
    Nylon all the way baby, I don't even own a leather rig anymore. :D
    Don't try and outweird me, I find weirder things than you in my breakfast burrito.

fishing (fish-ing)
    1.n.the art of casting,trolling,jigging,or spinning while freezing,sweating,swatting,or swearing.

16. This ad will disappear if you login

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast